9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-4-29 02:52:41 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Sharmain GraingerAn ambitious attitude backed by a keen sense of intuition has been the driving force that has kept former Queen’s College student, Elson Low, focused and passionate about his studies. Having secured a grant to study at Amherst College, one of the better learning institutions in the United States of America, the 19-year-old is certainly not a disappointment to his sponsor.In fact he has recently been accepted to the13th Annual Spring Public Policy Leadership Conference (PPLC) at Harvard Kennedy School, a feat which according to him “was really tough to get into.” The PPLC is designed especially for first and second year undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing professional careers in the public sector.Elson LowMoreover, it is intended to encourage them to prepare for graduate study in public policy and international affairs, as well as to provide information on financial support through various fellowship programmes.This programme is especially ideal for Low,Zack Cozart Reds Jersey, who has plans to complete a Masters degree in Economics before returning home to hopefully render his acquired expertise to the public sector.The Harvard Conference will be held over the course of three days (February 21-24) and according to Low, it caters specifically to minorities “to help them get a better idea of what it is like to be involved in public policy. I think Bill Clinton spoke there a few years ago so I’m pretty excited,” said an elated Low during a conversation with this publication.He was admitted to the programme after submitting a resumé, personal statement and transcript. A recommendation was also necessary. Candidates, according to him, were selected on their commitment to service as demonstrated in their essay and extra-curricular activities, and on whether the conference would benefit them as they look to explore jobs in public policy and government administration.“The programme will make me miss two days of school, but that should be fine, because my academics have gone well. I’ve had lots of work to do and sometimes it’s been tough, but I’m sitting on an A-average,” said a somewhat sleep-deprived Low.Currently in his second semester at the Massachusetts College, he predicts that with the new opportunities becoming available, he will probably have to double major in economics and political science.Low is believed to be the first Guyanese student to benefit from the Amherst College grant programme, which covers all the studying costs for suitably qualified applicants from around the world. The grant, he explained, during an interview last year, offers accepted applicants a stipend,Alan Trammell Tigers Jersey, covers the cost of books and stationery, and amounts to about US$55,000 annually.His candidature to the university was also based on the fact that his parents’ – Sandra and Elton Brandon Low of Lamaha Gardens, Georgetown – income fell within a specified bracket. He said that not only is his tuition covered, but every possible cost associated with his edification is financed through the grant offered by the college. Even his vacation trips back home to Guyana are covered, Low revealed.According to him “I want our Guyanese students to really appreciate that these opportunities are out there, and this is really a chance to get into some of the best institutions in the world for free. There is no restriction to subject areas…you can study in any field,” he emphasised.However, the catch is that it may be difficult to gain acceptance as more people are becoming aware of the available grants.“As far as I know I am the only person from Guyana that has gotten into this. I’ve heard that there are about 20 students from Jamaica benefiting and of course this is a great disappointment, because there is nothing to suggest that Jamaican students are better than Guyanese students,” Low mused.He expects that in the near future,Jordan Zimmermann Tigers Jersey, a few Guyanese graduates would seek to take advantage of such available grants,Michael Lorenzen Reds Jersey, even as he alluded to the need for more guidance for students, pointing out that “there is not a lot of guidance…even I found it very difficult to find out about these schools. That to me is the main barrier for students.”Additionally,Kirk Gibson Tigers Jersey, he pointed out that it would be helpful if there was a standard Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) programme in Guyana, since in order to be accepted at these schools, applicants must write the SAT in addition to completing the common application,Denny McLain Tigers Jersey, writing an essay, and other requirements. The process of application has a December 31 annual deadline, Low noted.And while he admits that he didn’t have the highest SAT marks, Low pointed out that his acceptance was not merely linked to good grades, but rather the fact that the schools are known to accept people based on “you as an individual…on a holistic basis. They look at your extra-curricular activities, so students need not be discouraged if you are not the highest achiever.”Low, despite having a disability, has been involved in a number of extra-curricular activities throughout his high school life including sports, debating, impromptu speaking and conferences, and was even a youth parliamentarian for one year. He is an avid writer of both fiction and non-fiction, an ability that has transcended to his new school life at Amherst College, where he has been writing a few articles for the institution’s newspaper.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 09:56 , Processed in 0.069524 second(s), 26 queries .