4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-5-1 16:35:20 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph SeeramSince the 2011 national elections when the balance of power in Parliament shifted from the ruling PPP Government to the opposition parties, the opposition PNC/APNU and the AFC seem to be confused as to their role in Parliament. It would appear that their idea of opposition is to oppose the Government “fuh opposition sake” if one can be guided by their recent actions.First the excuse was they would oppose anything the Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee introduced in Parliament. Then they refused to pass the anti-Money Laundering Bill, which has national and International consequences for the country.One can understand the opposition questioning the government on its spending of taxpayers’ dollars to ensure that there is accountability and transparency. While the government has a responsibility and is answerable to the taxpayers,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, the opposition seems to have lost sight that it also has a responsibility and is answerable to the Guyanese public.The problem for the opposition is that it can’t seem to distinguish between national interest and political interest. If the PPP wants to spend huge sums of money, say like in Port Mourant, the opposition can view it as political motives by the PPP. However when the Government wants to build a National Airport which benefits the country, you just don’t go cutting the money for that project without offering any real justification for the actions.Sometimes, I think the opposition does not think of the consequences of its actions. The opposition often complained of the high electricity rates of GPL, even caused a riot in Linden almost a year ago over electricity rates, demanding that the government subsidize electricity rates for Lindeners.It pretended to have the interest of the electricity consumers on one hand, then went ahead and cut $5B from the GPL budget. How can the opposition reconcile these two positions? The answer is “stupidity”. Did the opposition not understand that GPL would have to raise rates to make up for the money cut from their budget? And who would the electricity consumers, (which by the way is every home in Guyana) blame? Who would those Lindeners blame for the increase in their electric bills? PNC/APNU and AFC of course. After all the government position is “They did it”.The opposition got a “reality check” when GPL announced huge increases in electricity rates. Now the opposition parties are scrambling to have talks with the government with the view of restoring the subvention to GPL.Recently the opposition refused to pass three pieces of legislation pertaining to the security of the country. Those bills would have strengthened law enforcement, legislation and the justice system against criminals. Now these are matters of national importance; no political content here. Yet the opposition refused to pass this legislation. The pretext here is that the Bills were introduced by Minister of Home Affairs Clement Rohee.The opposition is still on this “juvenile position” that “we not talking to Rohee”. So on one hand the opposition criticized the government on the crime situation in the country, and at the same time blocked legislation that would strengthen the fight against criminals.About a month ago the opposition refused to pass the amendments to the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism (Amendment) Bill 2013 (AML/CFT), claiming it wants to review it first. It was sent to a Special Select Committee.One can understand the opposition “flexing its muscle” when it comes to domestic affairs, and it has every right to. However when it comes to international affairs and national interest, the opposition needs to look at the big picture, beyond petty politics to score political points.The opposition parties PNC/APNU and AFC are so absorbed in their selfish interest that they apparently don’t care about the serious consequences their actions will have on the economy and the lives of the ordinary Guyanese.If Guyana is blacklisted the economic consequences will be devastating to the Guyanese economy. The situation could descend into financial instability and ruin for Guyana. The opposition knows this, yet chooses to go down this path. The Guyanese public, I am sure, will recognize that David Granger and PNC/APNU and AFC Khemraj Ramjattan and Moses Nagamootoo really don’t care how their irresponsible actions could affect their livelihood.I can understand the position of Khemraj Ramjattan and Moses Nagamootoo. The AFC is acting as if it has the majority in Parliament; from its pronouncements you won’t believe the party has only seven seats in Parliament.The AFC has two bitter men in the form of ex PPP stalwarts Khemraj Ramjattan and Moses Nagamootoo, and I repeat these are bitter men bent on revenge on the PPP; their judgment is clouded by their hatred of the PPP. The interest of the Guyanese public does not cross their mind.So the question is who do the PNC/APNU and the AFC represent. The interests of the law abiding Guyanese public or criminal elements? If one has to be guided by their actions some may conclude they are on the side of criminals.I wish to thank all my readers who emailed me their condolences and support on the death of my dear pet Chelsea last week. Syeada keep up the good animal rescue work.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email: [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-13 11:55 , Processed in 0.071418 second(s), 28 queries .