4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-5-5 08:44:45 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
-inmate released on bail vows never to returnBy Dale Andrews Prisoners are a rare breed. Some are as guilty as hell, others proclaim innocence until they die and there are the rest who are victims of travesty of justice, since man-made systems are not foolproof.Roscio Mercurius, may be guilty or innocent of carnal knowledge, but after spending 18 months behind bars awaiting trial in the High Court, he was released on bail.Released on bail: former inmate Roscio Mercurius displays his fractured leg and some of the bruises he sustained from beatings in the Georgetown Prison. One thing is certain he would not want any of his children, close relatives and by extension other persons, to go through what he went through during his time in prison.Mercurius was one of the inmates who sustained a fractured leg and was denied proper medical attention.Prison officials felt that his condition did not warrant such attention and kept treating him in the Infirmary at Camp Street for several weeks.But hospital officials had a different approach to his injuries when he visited them last week, following his release.Today Mercurius is resting at home with his fractured leg in proper cast of plaster of Paris.The United Nations Commission on Human Rights had published several reports chastising Guyana’s treatment of prisoners,Throwback Jerseys, both by the police and the prisons.However these reports did little to alter the situation. Authorities continue to breach several protocols to which Guyana has acceded.Mercurius is so frustrated by the situation that he visited the offices of this newspaper to relate first hand what has been transpiring in the Georgetown Prison within the first quarter of this year, with the hope that the Minister of Home Affairs will look into the matter and prevent any attempt at a riot which he said is a fair possibility.The bailed prisoner is no angel. He spoke about his activities in prison, which would have landed him in jail anyway if he were caught doing them on the outside. But he reasoned that that was the only way to survive in the brick jungle.He was not afraid to bare his soul, knowing that if convicted at his upcoming trial he will be sent right back to be among those against whom he is leveling allegations.But he hopes that by highlighting the atrocities and activities within the prison walls, good sense will prevail and better systems and supervision will obtain to safeguard the lives of both inmates and officers.He admitted to being a drug dealer in the prison but denied that he was ever caught doing it.He was linked to a recent drug bust that involved a prison officer who was caught red-handed smuggling a quantity of marijuana into the Camp Street facility.Throughout the 18 months behind bars, Mercurius had the enviable job of cooking for condemned prisoners, which placed him in good stead with both inmates and officers.For one, he could provide and ‘extra something’ for inmates for a small fee, which could be either a pack of cigarettes or a quarter high wine, or he could fill the officers’ bags with some ration for their respective homes.But the recent drug bust came at a time when the authorities at the prison were being embarrassed by the regularity of such incidents, so a strong stand had to be taken.It so happened that the officer who was held with the drugs told interrogators that he was taking it for Mercurius. This was the beginning of the prisoner’s troubles.Without any hearing, Mercurius received a beating that left him unconscious and with a fractured leg.“I find meself sling up pon de gate like a bird. I couldn’t walk fuh weeks,” he told this newspaper.“I asked to go to the hospital but they refused. Strong people in deh does go to de hospital. Why I can’t go to de hospital? They treat me like a dog. They never find me with no money,Jerseys NFL China, no cigarette no nothing,” Mercurius added.His wife, Sharmaine Pearce,China Jerseys, also related that she was refused a visit to her husband two days after the beating.She said that officials told her that nothing of the sort had occurred.The now released prisoner said that one of the officers who beat him was at the centre of beatings in 2006 that led to a riot at the Camp Street jail.Although his story was previously highlighted in this newspaper, prison authorities turned a blind eye.Mercurius believes that prison officials were fearful that had he been afforded the opportunity to come out of the facility for medical attention, he would have revealed the truth of what had transpired.However he now feels more compelled to disclose some of the activities that obtain in the prison.“The officers them brining in de things fuh we sell and then when they done, they want fuh demonise we,’ Mercurius said.His comments echoed those of two experts from the US Correctional Circuit who stated that the officers take in most of the illegal items in prisons.According to Mercurius, batons called ‘truncheons’ are the weapons of choice of officers to carry out their beatings.He said that a special task force headed by a senior prison officer is responsible for the atrocities.“They operate like de ‘phantoms’. They does just walk in and start beating people and nobody can’t tell dem nothing,” the former inmate told this newspaper.Mercurius said that prison authorities should realise that beating a prisoner will not work,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, because ‘prisoners don’t snitch on prisoners’.“Remember dem got murderers in jail and if anybody snitch pon dem, dey could turn back and do damage because dem done deh pon condemn,Cheap Jerseys Online,” he explained.Mercurius was in prison when an inmate who was found with a live round in his pocket was beaten and killed by prison officers.“Dem beat de man, push mop stick all up in he private parts. By the time dey rush he to de hospital he almost dead.”He said that there are many more prisoners who are suffering the same fate as he did but there is no one to look into their plight.The situation is so desperate that many who are awaiting trial will do anything to secure bail.He said, only recently a man who received a High Court sentence attempted to kill himself by slashing his wrists rather than spend time in jail.He believes that no matter how much counseling the man receives,Cheap NFL Jerseys China Wholesale, he will someday succeed in killing himself.“I used to talk to he and tell don’t do it, because he could still come out someday. He’s fifty (years old) and he still could come out by the time he reach sixty,” Mercurius said.Mercurius disclosed that he ‘ran things’ in the prison— he could get anything illegal that he wanted, from a joint to rum.According to the former prison cook, despite the standing orders, authorities refuse to prepare proper meals for inmates, although their requisition will show that certain ingredients are purchased.“Jail is a money making place. Is a li’l world by itself. Is four walls and you never know wha going on unless you go inside. I wouldn’t like fuh go back deh.”“It’s not something nice. I don’t like me family coming at the prison (to see me),” Mercurius said.His advice is to those who love their incarcerated relatives, to explore every legal avenue to get them released and to ensure that they never return behind bars.So overwhelmed was Mercurius upon his release, that he could not hold back his tears even in the presence of his older brother.“Is not no easy licks I get. Dey stuff up me mouth with stink cloth and beat me. When I sit down and study these officers that beat me, put one ah dem in de ring with me, they can’t mek it with me. I don’t need no gloves, I would beat dem just so,” Mercurius told this newspaper.But while prison officials are putting forward the notion that they are forging ahead with rehabilitative measures for prisoners,NFL Jerseys Supply, some of their actions appear to be doing otherwise.Mercurius, is now back with his wife and family awaiting his day in the High Court and for sure he is desperately hoping that he will not have to return to the place that has left a bitter taste in his mouth.Unable to work and with children to send to school, the former prisoner is questioning the claims by the prison of rehabilitating persons to return to society as productive citizens.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 09:45 , Processed in 0.069926 second(s), 26 queries .