4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-5-9 18:57:18 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Watooka boat mishap…The bodies of 12-year-old Mackenzie High School student Melinda Duggan, and her 20-year-old cousin Kishana Hollingsworth, were recovered approximately four hours apart yesterday, as a community still is trying to come to grips with the river tragedy which claimed three lives.Melinda Duggan’s body was found around 06:00hrs yesterday, in the vicinity of the Lodge Hall at Watooka, while Kishana Hollingsworth’s remains were retrieved downstream at Goldhill,NFL Jerseys Authentic, at around 10:10 hrs.The body of six-year-old Quacy Miggins was recovered on Saturday, shortly after 13:00hrs, in the vicinity of the bauxite plant wharf and the Mackenzie/ Wismar Bridge.Kishana HollingsworthThe three youths perished after a boat, with more than a dozen persons aboard, capsized during a Family Fun Day, held at the Watooka Complex in Linden.It was the sad culmination to what had begun as a perfect day for many families and friends. However it could have been much worse, as many of the persons onboard the ill-fated boat could not swim, according to reports.But thanks to the efforts of a few brave individuals, most of them were saved from a watery demise.Among those who risked their lives to save others was Junior Bharrat. When contacted yesterday after reports were received of his bravery in initiating the rescue, Bharrat related how he took of his shoes and shirt, and jumped into the river to help rescue those who had been flung into the river after the boat made a rash turn on approaching the landing at the Watooka Complex.“I was standing on the landing of the Watooka Club at approximately 17:30 hrs waiting for the boat to come in back, so I could take a ride, when I saw it capsize about thirty yards from where I was. I immediately took off my shoes and shirt and handed my cell phone and money to a friend; I dived into the river and started swimming towards the boat and shouted for someone to throw life jackets and a young man swam out with four life jackets and gave two to me.” Bharrat related that he then shouted to two males who were on a Jet Ski to take those persons who were encountering difficulties to land.Meanwhile, the man said he continued to swim towards the overturned boat, where he had observed two persons, but when he finally got there, only one woman was holding on to the boat. He said he handed her a life jacket, meanwhile encouraging her to ‘hold’ on. By that time, the boat had drifted some distance from where it had overturned, and after about three minutes a paddle boat came alongside, according to Bharrat. He added that he advised the woman to hold on to the side of that boat.Melinda DugganBharrat said that the woman kept crying all the time ‘what is my boyfriend gonna say? He told me not to come here.’ “I told her not to worry about that, ‘let’s just focus on getting ashore. He pointed out that a few minutes later the jet ski returned and she was placed on it. However, she fell off and eventually had to be rescued by a woman in the paddle boat.Lindy Mendonza (the woman in the paddle boat) said she was washing wares (dishes) on the other side of the river, at West Watooka, when she saw the big ‘commotion’,Wholesale Jerseys, and noticed that there were people in the water.“Right away I call me daughter and I grab a paddle and start to paddle across the river. This time I praying all the time – Father, let we reach in time to at least save somebody; this time the boat  like it feeling so heavy, like it ain’t even moving, and I sweating all the time and the sweat running in me eyes,China Jerseys, but I still didn’t giving up,” Mendonza said.The woman claimed that after what seemed like an eternity they finally reached one of the survivors holding onto the overturned boat, some distance from where it had capsized. She said that she tried to get the woman into her boat but the woman was too heavy. “After awhile we had to give up or our boat would have been overturned.”Mendonza said that they then told the woman to hold onto her boat while they paddled to the shore.That was a daunting task she pointed out as the boat was already heavy and combined with the weight of the woman, and the current which was pulling in the opposite direction they continued at a snail’s pace, but eventually reached the Watooka Complex landing.The woman was high in praise for Junior Bharrat, who she said held the woman all the while, speaking words of encouragement to her. ‘’But I could never forget the look of fear in her eyes, it was like she was staring yet not seeing, I don’t even think that she would recognize me if she saw me tomorrow, she was too petrified with fear.”Quacy MigginsOther persons who assisted with the rescue, were Julian St. John (Quacy Miggins’ uncle) Mark Louis, the jet ski operator, the captain of the boat Oscar Giles (who is still in Police custody), Rawle Blair – who was reportedly in the boat when it capsized – and another person from the Christianburg area whose name was given as Sullivan. However it could not be confirmed whether Blair was indeed in the boat at the time of the tragedy.The Demerara River has seen its fair share of tragedies over the years,Alex Delvecchio Red Wings Jersey, but the latest involving more than one person, and close relatives, was one in which two brothers had gotten away from their Silvertown home and subsequently headed for the river where one of them went into the water and encountered difficulties. From all indications his brother had gone out to help him,Cheap NFL Jerseys, but both of them drowned as neither could swim. According to reports back then, the two had been observed frolicking with friends by the riverside before the tragedy.Junior BharratAnother incident occurred more than two decades ago, in the vicinity of the Katabulli Bridge in Christianburg, when two cousins,Cheap Jerseys Online, the only sons of two sisters, Evelyn and Sheila Allicock, ventured into the Demerara River on their own.Neither of the two could swim,Wholesale Jerseys Online, and both perished. When they were found, they were reportedly hugging each other.(Enid Joaquin)
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 15:42 , Processed in 0.076568 second(s), 26 queries .