9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-5-11 05:25:28 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Senior regional integrationist, Guyana-born Sir Shridath Ramphal, has expressed his dissatisfaction with what he described as ‘misleading information’ that has wrongly attributed remarks to him about ‘ethnic cleansing’ in Barbados.Sir Shridath RamphalYesterday, Sir Shridath, an international figure of repute, said that he never made even an ‘insinuation’ about this in relation to Barbados, or any other country in the Caribbean.According to Sir Shridath, the only reference he has made to the notion of ‘ethnic cleansing’ was in a speech on June 25 last to a meeting organized by the Caribbean Court of Justice in Trinidad.In doing so, he said, he was criticizing an editorial in a regional newspaper for intimating such a notion.“I was making the very specific point that no Caribbean leader would countenance it.  My remark was the very antithesis of the connotation that has been put on it.In a very short remark in a speech lasting over an hour to an audience of the Judiciaries of the Region on the impact of ‘globalization’, I lamented events which were threatening the cohesion of CARICOM and putting it at risk.  Among these was the intimation in the editorial (to which I have referred above) that one of the ‘ravages’ of unmanaged CARICOM migration could be “a disturbance of the existing equilibrium among races”.Sir Shridath then emphasized that what he said was, “it is always a sadness when,  however propelled, our societies are caught in a downward spiral of separateness with fellow West Indians cast as outsiders; those times when, as Annalee Davis (the Barbadian Researcher) has described them, we become “locked into nationalist crevices … and exclusivist cultural legitimacy”.We are at such a time, and both policies and practices are deepening Caribbean divides. ‘The knock on the door at night’ is not within our regional culture; still less are intimations of ‘ethnic cleansing’. No Caribbean leader would countenance such departures from our norms and values.”Sir Ramphal noted that his purpose in making the comment was to remind all that the basic premise of the regional lives is that West Indians are one people, and to recall natives of the region, to the vital importance of the integration and cohesion in a highly competitive world which has little regard for small countries. He made reference to a recent opinion expressed by Prime Minister David Thompson of Barbados that, “integration is the last best bet for the Caribbean”.“I certainly did not allude to genocidal practices (Bosnia style) which are wholly alien to our Community, and especially alien to Barbados which I have proclaimed globally to be a standard bearer of human values within our region. Any ‘slur’ on Barbados was in that editorial; not my repudiation of it,” Sir Shridath stressed.In concluding, he said that anyone who misunderstood what he said– or did not read what he said- he sincerely hoped that his statement would clarify the matter.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 10:44 , Processed in 0.065646 second(s), 26 queries .