9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-5-25 03:49:40 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
– Professor Suresh Narine is a ‘Special Person’ “I was painfully aware of my rural ways and speech, and I travelled to school using public transportation, whilst many of my peers had chauffeur-driven cars to take them to school.”By: Kiana Wilburg For Dr. Suresh .S. Narine, science is the story that never ends and after 150 peer-reviewedDr. Suresh S. Narinepublications, two books, 22 patents- and the creation of environmentally friendly economic activity in Guyana, Canada and beyond, this field remains his intoxicating first love.This 43-year-old world class, research scientist found his humble beginnings in the village of Herstelling, on the East Bank of Demerara; a place that still remains dear to his heart. He grew up in a regimented Hindu home and as the lone boy among his three well-behaved sisters, a rebellious Narine needed to be constantly pulled in line.But regardless of how many mistakes he made, Narine is extremely grateful for his parents who were invariable in their love and encouragement. That he says was responsible for the confidence he developed at a very young age.Dr. Narine asserted that these experiences served as the perfect catalyst for his inclinations to the world of science and technology since research in that field sees many failures before success can be had.But back in the 1970’s, the research scientist recalled that his community wasDr. Narine in his younger days on his motorcycle.an impoverished one,Hunter Henry Chargers Jersey, although not without its extraordinary mentors. Those persons he said were instrumental in fuelling him with the extra push he needed to remind him that there is a more worthwhile life to be had from following the road to education than the “get rich quick” course taken by some of his friends.But even though he had his misgivings as any normal young boy would,Dexter McCoil Chargers Jersey, his passion for something greater proved that Dr. Narine  even at a young age, was never going to be , “just an ordinary” young man. Gaining a place at one of the country’s top secondary schools, Queen’s College was,Stephen Tulloch Eagles Jersey, perhaps the first sign of this.But the decision for Dr. Narine to attend the Secondary school was no easy one. Limited financial resources at the time meant that his sister after high school would have to join the workforce to help support her younger brother’s education.His inclination for the field of science however, was initiated by his love for literature.“I love literature and as a child, I was easily bored, and learnt to read by the timeDr. Narine during his Queen’s College days.I was three or four, being immersed in a family whose pastime was reading.  I read George Orwell’s Animal Farm when I was around five, as a fairy tale. Have you ever read your favourite story book and just hated when it ended? Well that is what happened to me. And that is why I fell in love with research in science and technology because it is the story that never ends.”Queen’s College was very transformative for him.“Coming from our close knit village, my first sense of class stratification in Guyanese society was when I encountered it at Queen’s. This was where the elite of Guyanese society went to school……”I was painfully aware of my rural ways and speech,Brian Dawkins Eagles Jersey, and I travelled to school using public transportation, whilst many of my peers had chauffeur-driven cars to take them to school.  But while we didn’t walk in the same circles,Corey Liuget Chargers Jersey, and our parents didn’t belong to the same clubs, the teachers at Queen’s College helped to propagate a culture which was firmly egalitarian and the friendships that sprang up across class and race lines have remained over the many years since.”Dr. Narine was also a well rounded student at his high school as he represented his house in table tennis and cricket, and was a devoted member of the Scouts Association.  He eventually became the Captain of Moulder House, and also represented that house at debating and elocution competitions.During his high school years he also became very politically involved, as a member of the GUARD movement – Guyanese Action for Reform and Democracy.But even though his grades in the early classes at Queen’s College were abysmal, he graduated with exceptional grades at the GCE/CXC examinations.  For this country boy to have secured a double distinction in English Language and Literature which earned him the Ivy Loncke Prize was particularly important.He had the desire to pursue a career in law but his passion for physics, chemistry and mathematics saw him sitting these very subjects at ‘A’ Levels exams and he did exceedingly well,Melvin Ingram Chargers Jersey, also.His first job was at the Barclay’s Bank. But it was awfully boring for him. Though he was granted a scholarship as a Guyana Scholar, surprisingly, he turned it down and pursued studies in Canada.At Trent University, he did an undergraduate degree. But the tertiary institution would soon become like his second home. There, he met Professor Alan Slavin, who remains his lifelong mentor.“Al is one of those extremely rare mesmerizing physics teachers – in his class,Randall Cunningham Eagles Jersey, the world of Physics simply sprang to life. In my first undergraduate year, he invited me to work in his research laboratory in the summer, and this experience ended the flirtation with the possibility of a degree in history and politics,” he expressed.He soon pursued a joint degree in Chemistry and Physics, and earned minors in Economics and Philosophy at Trent.  He then moved on to his Masters degree in Chemical Physics in Slavin’s laboratory. For his outstanding work, he received a prestigious Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada scholarship.Dr. Narine added, “Rather than take up an offer to pursue my Ph.D. in condensed matter physics at Princeton on a full scholarship, I chose instead to pursue a Ph.D. in Food Science and Materials Physics at the University of Guelph, , the premiere Food Science institution in Canada. My reasoning was simple – no one would hire a condensed matter physicist in Guyana, but a degree in Food Science may allow me to find gainful employment in Guyana.”It was a decision that would end up changing his life.“I had convinced my Ph.D. supervisors to let me take a Materials Physics approach to understanding foods, in particular lipids.  At the time, this was a somewhat risky step, but the risk was well worth it.  I think I co-published 21 publications during this period, in some of the most well respected journals in the world,” he continued.Within two and a half years, he was considered among the top five academics in the field of lipids.  In fact, before he even completed his Ph.D., he was already offered a high paying job as a senior research scientist with the food giant, M&M Mars.As fate would have it, it would also be the period of his life that would see him becoming the father of triplets: Vandana, Rudra and Geetanjali.“So, on to Mars I went, living in Pennsylvania and working in New Jersey.  Indeed, my triplets were born in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania – a source of many great conversations.”At Mars, he ceased to be a purely fundamental scientist. It was there, he learnt how to commercialize research.  Shortly after, he was recruited by the University of Alberta, as the Alberta Value-Added Research Chair, a Professor at the young age of 27. He later returned to Trent University where he is a Senior Professor and Director of the Trent Centre for Biomaterials Research.Returning to his homelandBut with these amazing contributions in Canada and beyond, Dr. Narine would soon return to his homeland and this was upon the invitation of former President Bharrat Jagdeo. He had taken on the herculean task of revitalizing the Institute of Applied Science and Technology (IAST).Under his stewardship, IAST has one of the leading labs in the Caribbean.Professor Narine is the recipient of several prestigious awards including the “Growing Alberta Leadership Award for Innovation” which he received in 2005 for pioneering the development of technology to produce polyurethanes from vegetable oils.In 2011, he received an award from Guyana for his contributions to Science and Technology and was named in 2011 as one of Canada’s Top 40, Under 40 Leaders. Further, he recently received the Anthony N. Sabga Caribbean Awards for Excellence in Science and Technology.  He has been awarded the prestigious Ontario Research Chair in Green Chemistry and Engineering,Matt Moore Dolphins Jersey, and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Chair in Biomaterials.Dr. Narine is also responsible for a number of international research-to-application initiatives in India, Malaysia, Brazil and Israel and is a member of the Canadian Association of Physicists, the American Physical Society, the International Federation of Food Technologists, and the American Oil Chemists Society.But even with his extremely demanding career on several sides of the world, the Trent University professor still has a need for speed as he enjoys taking his prized motorcycles, another lifelong love affair, on cross-country trips across North America.Though his love affair with science remains strong, he still flirts within the ambit of literature,Seth Joyner Eagles Jersey, penning several poems when the mind dictates, on those epic two-wheeled adventures.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-21 15:53 , Processed in 0.096501 second(s), 26 queries .