4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-5-26 09:58:13 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph SeeramI was reminded this week that a year ago this time I was in Guyana. It was shortly after the election. The PPP was in shock at being unseated in Parliament; the AFC was gloating in its new found position as a power broker, while the PNC was running around Georgetown crying that it was robbed by GECOM.It was also a time of fear by the Georgetown business community.  Many closed their doors around 2:00 pm every day when PNC/APNU supporters were marching the streets, protesting the elections.The opposition had circulated a list of businesses that it wanted its supporters to boycott, it did not matter that its very own supporters were employed by the same business establishments. I did not realize how fearful the ordinary Guyanese was of these marches, until my taxi driver made it known.We were caught in the vicinity of the GECOM headquarters. There were armed police all over the place, streets were being barricaded; the driver was having difficulty finding a way out, and we can see the crowd marching from a distance.The taxi driver was fearful. “I gat to get out of here, I gat to get you people out of here; you have to go home and stay home “he advised, “because with these people anything can happen”.The PNC had raised the expectations of its supporters and even with a name change from PNC to APNU it failed at its fifth attempt in a fair and free election to gain control of the Government. Can anybody remember what the big issue was for the PNC after the elections?It was the now famous Statements of Poll. They spent more than a month reconciling the Statements of Poll (by the way GECOM did it in two days and that was not fast enough for the opposition). Did the Guyanese public hear anything of their recount, we did not hear much after. But there were a bright side to their defeat; together with the AFC they won a one seat majority in Parliament.Now the political map had changed. Suddenly there was talk by the APNU, AFC and especially from the PPP about cooperation in the interest of the country. There was all this talk of putting aside political differences, there was this hope among Guyanese that things will change.So here we are one year later. What has changed, nothing, yes nothing, APNU went back to the old PNC, AFC is confused on how to utilize its power broker status and the PPP is back to its arrogant self. What went wrong? First the PPP was and probably still is in denial that they lost the election, and it was no longer “their way or the highway”. The Guyanese people had spoken; you have to cooperate with the opposition.One would have thought that the PPP would have engaged the opposition in a meaningful way when crafting their first budget for the new Parliament; instead they acted as if nothing had changed, and we know what happened to their budget in Parliament. Because of a recent court ruling on the last budget, the opposition or some would prefer the majority in Parliament may have to decide if they will reject or accept the entire budget, in my view the new budget will determine how soon elections will be held.I mention the PPP being its old arrogant self. The electorate voted for a change in the last election, one would have thought that the PPP heard. There were expectations that President Donald Ramotar would have injected new blood in the PPP,Jerseys From China, instead he continued with the same old Jagdeo regime.Some of the very people whom the Guyanese perceive as thieves, Mr. Ramotar retained them. Still there was this hope that he may make changes dumping some of the Jagdeo holdover, but after a year, to the disappointment of the Guyanese people nothing has changed.True the President has opened up the books on some of the contracts, but this has helped very little with the perception that the PPP is a corrupt Government. Ralph Ramkarran wrote a long article on the ills of the PPP and how it can correct itself if it wants to continue as the ruling party.You would have thought they would have taken the advice seriously, as it speaks to their survival as a ruling party. What did the PPP do, revert to their defensive self, the PPP has always been defensive when faced with legitimate questions. They came out with 34 points of nonsense as a rebuttal to Ramkarran.It is this need by the PPP to justify that everything they do is right, that is going to lead to the demise of the party. The PPP has a terrible image problem; it has a serious Public Relations problem. I don’t know who does their PR work, but that entire unit needs to be changed.Either it is not in touch with the real Guyanese public, or it thinks that the Guyanese public, including its own supporters, is so stupid that they will believe anything they say.Ralph Ramkarran has more credibility than all the PPP Ministers combined. If I were the PPP, I would have issued a statement, thanking him for his suggestions, and will give serous considerations to the points raised. I would say that the party is open to suggestions, and would give emphasis to any changes needed to regain the full confidence of the Guyanese public, end of story.But no, they had to digress into 34 points of stupidity. You can’t deny the fact that you lost the last election, you can’t deny the fact that you have consistently lost votes since the 1992 elections, (hiding behind percent of votes gained is not helping), you can’t deny that you are losing Indian support, the figures are there, and you certainly can’t deny that you are at the moment an unpopular corrupt government, at least you admitted there is corruption, but failed to say how you will deal with it.It’s not your personal business how you democratized yourself internally.When you rig the internal election to put certain people in power to run the country, you are exposing your undemocratic nature, which naturally will flow in the administration of Government.The opposition did not do much better. The PNC went back to its old ways of street protests. The AFC trying to outdo APNU took it further. We know what happened at Linden and Agricola. I am not sure that is the sense of accomplishment the opposition wants to take to the next election.Outside of that, the opposition cannot point to anything substantial it has accomplished with their new found power.A new year is coming. A wise mind said if you keep doing the same thing over and over, don’t expect a different result. The PPP, APNU and AFC should bear this in mind in the coming year, if not the Guyanese voters will come up with a different result come next elections, and those in power now may not like the results.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email: [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 23:41 , Processed in 0.066811 second(s), 26 queries .