4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-5-27 13:34:01 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
– a Guyanese’s first Christmas in Canada Do you know of any Guyanese who would make it his or her duty to spend a part of Christmas Eve night in a cemetery? Well, Phillip Andrews did.But thankfully it was not the Le Repentir Cemetery in Guyana; it was the Union Cemetery in a town called Port Hope in Canada and although it was freezing cold, Phillip was not alone.Phillip and his wife Jessica with their three sons enjoy the warmth of their living room.He soon found out that it was all part of an old tradition to which he was introduced by his Canadian born wife and her relatives.That was seven years ago and it was Phillip’s first Christmas in Canada, having left his native Guyana to take up residence there.Relating his experience, he told Kaieteur News that the family had left church, at which point he thought it was time to go showcase-watching in downtown Ontario, where the dazzling lights made one dizzy.But instead, to his horror, his wife Jessica informed him that they were heading to the cemetery.“I asked them if they were crazy,” he exclaimed.Curiosity got the better of him and he went along with the plan.There he saw many lighted candles in the dark and the amount of people he saw shocked him, it was as if the whole of the Irish community in Toronto was there.“Going to the cemetery and lighting candle was new to me,” he mentioned.“The lanterns are lit in Union Cemetery and it’s a Scandinavian tradition. We do it every Christmas Eve to remember our family members who have passed away…We go to Port Hope for that,” his wife Jessica explained.That was Christmas 2006 and since then,Cheap Jerseys From China, Phillip has grown accustomed to it.This year though he and his wife Jessica plan to sit with their three sons, Peter, five; Peyton,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, two and 10-month-old Elliott in their Whitby, Ontario home and “watch movies in our PJs, and just relax”, after church on Christmas Eve Night.“Then the kids go to bed and sleep so “Santa” can come. On Christmas morning we have gift opening at home,” Jessica Andrews told Kaieteur News.Unlike in Guyana,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, where people hardly leave their homes on Christmas day,Cheap Sports Jerseys, Phillip and his family will head to his wife’s side of the family (parents and sister/brother-in-law) around noon for dinner and family time.Again, unlike in Guyana where the main course is usually chicken, in Canada Phillip and his family will be having the traditional North American turkey dinner with all the trimmings…mashed potatoes, veggies, stuffing…and desserts.“Over here the biggest thing is turkey; it is on all the holiday menus,” Phillip said.There will be no pepperpot, garlic pork and black cake.The three young Andrews are all ready for Christmas.Phillip said that his wife does not like pepperpot and black cake.He had introduced her to it the first Christmas he spent with her.But maybe it was the way he prepared it for her that caused such a reaction, although he boasted about what a great chef he is.“Yes,Cheap Jerseys From China Online, I’ve had pepperpot! Philip does cook that but for here at our house,” she said,Evan Engram Jersey, adding that the children are a bit ‘picky’ with their food.Pepperpot has not been on Phillip’s menu ever since that first time.But Christmas is not all about food and as such Phillip is not really missing anything. For him, Christmas in Canada is a whole new ball game.He is experiencing that image of Christmas that is ingrained in his mind from the countless storybooks and movies that he read and saw as a child growing up in the mining town of Linden.“Seeing the snow and the lights and hearing the music gives me this real feeling of Christmas. Over here all the radio stations switch to Christmas music and that helps to create that feeling, along with all the Christmas movies on all the (TV) channels,” he explained.‘There isn’t the big set of wall and window wiping and curtain changing.”“My house is cleaned throughout the year,” Phillip proudly boasted.According to Phillip, the Christmas holiday is mostly about buying gifts, something that he hardly subscribed to when he was in Guyana.The gift buying is manifested in the frenzied shopping on Boxing Day.While Guyana use the day after Christmas to visit relatives and friends, Phillip disclosed that that day “is when all the stores have all the sales.”Boxing Day is also a working day in Canada, unlike in Guyana.And that was one thing he had to get accustomed to, very fast.“Things are a lot more laid back there in Guyana. From the start of December it’s all about fun, and work takes a back seat to the festivities. Whether it’s Christmas, Boxing Day or not, you have to work your butt off,” he said.But while Phillip has adjusted to the season in Canada,Wholesale Jerseys, his wife Jessica is longing to experience what Guyana is like at Christmas time.She has never visited these shores and she is adamant that that will change soon, having heard so much about the Land of Many Waters from her husband.She chuckled when it was suggested that she would be trading the snow covered streets of Canada for the flood-proned Georgetown.“I don’t mind,” she said.Jessica has a slightly different impression of Christmas in Guyana from her Guyanese husband.“It seems much more exciting there for you at Christmas. For us, it’s extremely laid back. Drink wine, beer. We don’t do major cleaning like that as we do that weekly. We don’t change curtains either. I would love to come there (Guyana) for Christmas,” she told Kaieteur News.She was excited when mention was made of her husband’s staff party. Of course that is something Phillip is all too familiar with, having worked at the Demerara Distillers Limited, where that kind of activity was a ‘must’ at Christmas time.“He has a staff Christmas party coming up and I hope to go! As long as we can get a sitter,” Jessica Andrews said.Her husband is not too anxious though to spend Christmas in his homeland too soon.“My children are not Guyanese, so I have to give them what they are accustomed to. Of course I tell them about Christmas in Guyana but I will only bring them (at that time) when they are old enough to understand what it really means,” Phillip explained.But for sure he certainly will hope that he spends a lot more Christmases in Guyana before another Christmas Eve night finds him in a cemetery.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 22:54 , Processed in 0.072582 second(s), 26 queries .