10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-6-8 19:21:55 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Leonard GildarieIt is unbelievable how little Guyanese travel to other parts of the country. Being in the media,China Jerseys Cheap, I have been afforded the opportunity to travel to different locations. Places like Port Kaituma, Region One,Brad Richards Red Wings Jersey, and Kwakwani, up the Berbice River, were among some of the areas we have flown to. I travelled overland to Aroaima, a bauxite mining community in Region 10. I saw the ferry crossing at Moleson Creek, in Berbice. There is one thing that I have learnt over time. The priorities in the outlying areas are different for the folks living there.Plan for a little kitchen garden when you are buildingThe accents are different and accusations against the government and opposition are in colourful language that even the most discerning of Guyanese would find it difficult to keep a straight face. But the concerns are serious.On Friday, we were up in Berbice to cover the PPP’s Congress at Port Mourant. I never really paid attention, but Berbice in my estimation has the most donkeys and horses and roadkill. One has to be a skillful driver to negotiate the dangers. At one section, we counted up to 20 donkeys grazing in the corner. Almost every home had one.Berbice seems to be on the up. SUVs,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys, tractors and cars were highly evident at almost every home.As usual,Artemi Panarin Jersey, I took the opportunity to visit Black Bush Polder. There are a few things about this community that I love. It is an area that was given to farmers in the 1960’s by former Premier Cheddi Jagan. The plan was to open up the area to farming, in keeping with the bigger one to make Guyana the breadbasket of the region. Anyone visiting would agree that Black Bush has the potential.The rolling rice fields and boulangers and squashes hanging over the fence are a sight to behold.In the city, the complaints are about the garbage, blackouts, bad roads and the traffic.In Black Bush Polder, the complaints are about the drainage, the NDC, and neighbours who deliberately allow flooding. Everybody knows each other there.But perhaps what most struck me here is how simple people lived. Nobody can starve. Boulangers, papaya, bora, all kinds of pepper, catahar (hope I spelt it right) black-eye peas,Fernando Rodney Jersey, rice, pumpkin…Black Bush has it all. A neighbour can visit the next door farm, located around the home, and pick a few items. A yard fowl, duck and sheep are also in abundance.So what is wrong here? Black Bush has been under threat from day one from flooding and drought. The entire farming area is dependent on a system of drainage and irrigation that is far from perfect. It will take lots of money to make it right. In the meantime, the many dams and access roads to the farms are threatened year round from the rains. Homes being underwater for a few days in certain parts have become an expected norm.I saw one man preparing his horse for the backdam. He has several heads of cattle.Neighbours being on the edge and tempers flaring against blocked drains are some of the biggest complaints that the NDC and regional authority will receive.But what struck me most of all is the ease of what a little kitchen garden does to the lives of the folks in Black Bush. Almost every home has one. Calaloo and peppers are a must. So are thyme, squash, carila and saim. The rains will come and kill the plants,NFL Jerseys From China, but the folks will start over again. Nobody is starving.I have always written about the need to plan properly when you are building your home. If you are on a limited budget, it may be a good thing to leave a little space for a kitchen garden. I have thyme and what the good people in Guyana call ‘married man poke’. I also have papaya and a grafted ‘golden apple’ tree planted a few months ago is already bearing. It may require a few minutes work, but the savings each month on buying seasoning and a few fruits can come in handy to do some other things.A four feet by 10 feet plot may be enough. You may also want a few flowers. At the end of the day, the little gardening may even become a hobby. There is nothing quite like seeing a papaya growing from your tree. It makes me proud.I am getting ready to head back to the city now. I enjoyed the yard fowl that one of the boys ‘stole’ from his neighbour.Enjoy your weekend and don’t forget to drop your comments, suggestions to [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 15:37 , Processed in 0.066438 second(s), 26 queries .