9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-6-11 06:54:30 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Phildelphia, US (philly.com) – Mariya Plekan rolled into a Philadelphia courtroom in a mechanical wheelchair,China Jerseys Cheap, which she maneuvered by pushing her right hand on a knob of the chair.Witness: Sean BenschopDressed in a sweater and black skirt that should have covered what were no longer there – her two legs – Plekan, 54, testified of the moment when a Salvation Army Thrift Store collapsed onto her.The Ukrainian immigrant living in Philadelphia had gone to the store, where she was a regular customer, and was about to leave when “I heard a cracking sound,” she testified through a Ukrainian interpreter.“I turned my head to the side and I saw some kind of steel beam coming down and in a second I was down,” she said, as her face reddened and she wiped away tears with a tissue.“I realized I was going to die here,” she said.As Plekan testified, at least one female juror also got teary-eyed.Plekan’s emotional testimony came at the start of the seventh day of the trial of demolition contractor Griffin Campbell, 51, charged with third-degree murder, recklessly endangering another person and related offences in the June 5, 2013, collapse of the Thrift Store, at 22nd and Market Streets in Center City that killed six people and injured 13 others.Mariya Plekan testified in court in the Market Street building collapse trial. She lost both legs in the 2013 tragedy.Yesterday’s trial day also included three hours of testimony from Sean Benschop, 45, the excavator operator who pleaded guilty in July to involuntary manslaughter and related offences, and who is cooperating with prosecutors.In straightforward detail, Benschop told the jury how he demolished the four-story Hoagie City building next to the adjacent one-story Thrift Store using his large excavator even though he knew that operating heavy machinery next to an occupied structure was dangerous.He said he did so, on the orders of Campbell – the general contractor on the job who was paying him $800 a day.Benschop said he first started working at the Hoagie City demolition site June 2, 2013, a Sunday, when the Thrift Store was closed.A video, which the jury has seen numerous times during the trial, showed the excavator clawing at the front facade and removing the “Hoagie City” sign.That Monday, nobody worked because it was raining. On June 4, Campbell wanted Benschop to start removing the eastern wall of the Hoagie City building with the excavator, Benschop said.“He told me, ‘Go ahead and take the left wall down. Don’t mess with the right wall,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys,’ “Benschop testified. The right, or western,Marlon Humphrey Jersey, wall was the shared wall with the Thrift Store.Benschop said he was concerned about the shared wall because it stood unsupported – the building’s joists or the horizontal beams that kept the walls stable, had been prematurely removed. He said he expressed his concerns to Campbell, who told him that he would have other men remove the western wall by hand.On the morning of June 5, Benschop said,Throwback Jerseys, Campbell again ordered him to demolish the eastern wall of Hoagie City. “He said the owner of the building wanted the building down,” Benschop said referring to property owner Richard Basciano,Fernando Rodney Jersey, whom another witness has said was angry the demolition was behind schedule.At the time of the collapse – 10:42 a.m. – Benschop said he had a steel beam in the claw of his excavator and was using the beam to extend his reach so he could knock down the top of the eastern wall.“I was taking the left [eastern] wall down. Instead of the left wall goes out [to the east, toward an already demolished site], it goes in,” toward the Hoagie City building, testified Benschop, a native of Guyana.The caving in of the eastern wall of the Hoagie City building caused the building to knock over the then-three story unsupported western wall, which collapsed onto the Thrift Store, Benschop said.Right after the collapse, in the midst of screaming and firefighters coming to the rescue, Benschop said he saw Campbell, who had one question for him.“Mr. Campbell turned to me and he said, ‘Sean, do you have your insurance?’ “Benschop said.”I said, ‘Yes,’ and asked him, ‘Do you have your insurance?’ “Campbell didn’t, Benschop said.Benschop said he stayed at the scene for about 10 minutes, but then had another worker take him to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.At HUP, a nurse took his blood, which showed Benschop was under the influence of marijuana.Benschop said under questioning by Jennifer Selber, Chief of the District Attorney’s homicide unit, that he was smoking marijuana – half a joint each morning, the other half at night – for a serious medical condition. He contended it did not affect his ability to operate machinery.During cross-examination, Campbell’s attorney, William Hobson,Cheap Jerseys Free, got Benschop to admit that he had previously lied about his marijuana use during a May motions hearing before Common Pleas Judge Glenn Bronson and on the day of the collapse to a police officer who questioned him at the hospital.Benschop also acknowledged that he had kept his daily marijuana use secret from Campbell.Asked by Hobson why he used his excavator to demolish the Hoagie City building on the day before and day of the collapse – when the Thrift Store was open – even though he knew operating machinery next to a store was unsafe, Benschop replied: “I had to feed my family . . . If I don’t do my work, I wouldn’t get paid.”Plekan, who now has to live in a nursing home, testified that after she realized she was still alive, but stuck under rubble, she yelled for help for hours.“I heard the sound of a tractor,” she said. “I heard a lot of people, yelling.” At one point, she heard a man talking, standing right on top of her, “but he did not hear me, so I lost hope,” she testified.She said under questioning by prosecutor Ed Cameron that she was buried under rubble for about 14 hours. It wasn’t until all the noises quieted down, and she heard a dog that “with whatever energy I had left, I began to yell.”That’s when Fire Department Capt. John O’Neill found her.Doctors at HUP had to amputate her legs to save her, she said.“I have no legs,” she said. “I don’t even have the bones for legs. All I can do is get around in a wheelchair.”The prosecution is expected to rest today. Campbell is to testify in his own defense Tuesday, after the Columbus Day holiday.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 00:49 , Processed in 0.068486 second(s), 26 queries .