9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-6-12 14:58:09 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Guyana has hit international news, specifically the US-based Huffington Post’s Black Voices arm. The Caribbean’s move for Reparation has also seen American institutions expressing interest in joining with the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) to seek redress from European countries for the activities of native genocide and slavery.To get a take on Guyana’s moves toward Reparations, Alyson Renaldo interviewed Chairman of the local Reparations Committee,NFL Jerseys Cheap, Eric Phillips, earlier this month at the Princess Hotel. Renaldo holds a Master’s Degree in history and anthropology from Columbia University. She began ‘The Cheryl’s Daughter Foundation’ in 2007 to initiate and sustain grassroots outreach campaigns and serves as President and Executive Director of that organization and production company, Tache De Naissance Productions (TDN) films.Below is the ‘Repair-ations Guyana: A case study’ interview between the international writer and Phillips:Eric Phillips and Alyson Renaldo during their interviewWhat is the structure of the Guyanese Reparations claim?Eric:1. Loss of life.2. The wealth extracted made England and Holland wealthier.3. The genocide of, and lands taken from the Indigenous peoples.4. Britain’s destruction of the village movement (the communities built by freed people). The destruction included, flooding the land, denial of credit, recently freed people being forced to sell to the Portuguese for cheap rates, who would then re-sell to the planter class who refused to purchase produce goods from their former ‘property’.Renaldo: Kindly offer an overview of the path to attaining reparations.Eric: The path is to provide well-documented, historical evidence; to issue a formal letter of complaint. Then, seek diplomatic discussions towards redress. Failing that, the next step would be the International Court of Justice (in the Hague).Renaldo: What would be considered a successful reparations yield for Guyana?Eric: Land, capital, technology funds set aside for restoring culture, re-education and repatriation for those who wish it.Renaldo: Who will steward those funds, should they be obtained?Eric: That is to be determined…that is all part of the process. There will certainly not be individual cheques.Renaldo: Specifically for Guyana,Throwback Jerseys, what role would an apology from former colonizers play in the nation’s healing?Eric: Truthfully,NFL Jerseys From China, an apology will be difficult to obtain, as it will make the European nations more legally liable. It is good but not sufficient. It says, “We’re culpable” but does not give redress. Initially, we saw it as a necessity, but we realised we were setting ourselves up for failure. We don’t want to be caught in that trap. An apology is not a prerequisite for me,Marlon Humphrey Jersey, although it may be for others. An apology without reparations is irrelevant. It’s like going to court and the defendant says I’m sorry but then there is nothing else.Renaldo: Eric, what do you wish people to know about your nation and region?Eric: Guyana is a nation endowed with a great abundance of natural resources. It is underdeveloped because of the legacies of slavery including a pernicious “winner-take-all” political system it inherited from the British. These resources can only be converted into a vibrant economy with an injection of capital, technology and a more suitable governance arrangement. It is still heavily impacted by the divide-and-rule paradigms of slavery and indentureship. With respect to the Caribbean, it is a transported civilisation made up of many different ethnic and religious peoples who were brought here to serve and enrich European interests. It is now incumbent upon those who transported them to provide reparations; otherwise the effects of the greatest crime against humanity will not be overcome. In a world aware of the need for justice, crimes against humanity should be addressed, no matter where and when they occur. Particularly in the West, whose legal systems are supposedly based upon the pursuit of justice,Deion Jones Falcons Jersey, particularly when these legal systems are based on Christianity, which is essence, is about justice, is it not?Renaldo: Eric, I must tell you that an impassioned American friend of mine remarked that harvesting (albeit owed) monies is, to his mind, a limited victory if Europeans still own much of the land and businesses in the Caribbean and Africa.Eric: An important remark and it brings us back to reparations, which must also include a healing or repairing of one’s self…and once we stop hating ourselves, then we will invest in ourselves. We are a large consumer base. Once we go through the process of healing,NBA Authentic Jerseys, we will do, as all other people do, which is to invest in ourselves, our children, our businesses, our self-esteem…and in Africa. [The educational elements] of reparations will help us get around the old divide and conquer tactics used against us, which were purposeful, trivial, but meaningful. We could then stop wearing other people’s hair and return to being proud of our own. We could stop bleaching our skin and take pride in our natural ability to repel the harmful rays of the sun. We could stop being pawns in the global commercial game…playing in a game we cannot control and have no ownership of. I mean, is not beauty globally defined by culture? Yet recent history has had all of that defined by one small region’s standards. In all of this, Africa has suffered the most…but that’s another story.Renaldo: What is your personal stake in this Eric?Eric: I am African, beyond anything. When I am seen on a plane they don’t think of me as Guyanese or educated, they see an African…with all of the global baggage that racism, (another legacy of slavery) gives. I am interested in restoring the historical pride and achievements of my ancestors and to build the generational wealth of Africans; and the great irony is that because of my education in the west, I understand the cause of global inequality. I wish to be part of the process that brings justice to African and Indigenous People in the Caribbean. Perhaps I am being called upon to assist in the process of ancestral justice.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 16:33 , Processed in 0.070203 second(s), 28 queries .