10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-6-29 13:03:03 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Rehanna RamsayThis week,Corey Crawford Jersey, local media was abuzz with stories about Anaya Lee Willabus, an eight-year-old of Guyanese heritage from New York, who authored and published a book in the United States.In fact, when her book titled “The Day Mohan found his Confidence,” was launched locally,Josh Harding Jersey, she was featured on the front page of Kaieteur News and her story has since gained the attention of countless Guyanese.The lass may well make history as possibly the youngest published female author of a chapter book from Brooklyn. Besides being an accomplished author, Anaya’s story is truly an inspiring one.  Ever since her book was published, Anaya has been invited to several public events and book signing activities, where she had the opportunity to share her true passion for promoting literacy while giving back.She spoke candidly with this newspaper about her book and love for reading.As it is with every successful project, Anaya said that it took hard work, diligence and dedication to move the book from idea to reality; after all Anaya was six years old when she told her mom, Dimple that she wanted to write a book.By then,Ryan Suter Jersey, she had read dozens of books, since her dad Winston taught her how to read at the tender age of two years old.“My mom’s first reaction was a simple nod and (then) ‘okay’… she didn’t really take me seriously (but) my dad didn’t know about the book until it was about to be published,” she recalled.Nevertheless her parents, (both Guyanese) are the inspiration and driving force behind her success.“My mom assisted in the research process of ‘how to publish a book.’ This was a new venture for all of us. Publishing a book required much more than I imagined,Craig Hartsburg Jersey,” she said,Jared Spurgeon Jersey, adding that her father’s key role in getting the book published was his support and encouragement.8-year –old author, Anaya Lee WillabusStill it remained her duty to be persistent as she worked to make her project successful.“Sometimes you feel a little lazy to finish what you started, and small things get in your way. For example,Charlie Coyle Jersey, you know you have extra time and could be working on your book, but the temptation of watching your favourite television show crosses your mind. I had to be able to fight those urges.”Early InspirationShe fondly recalled that it was her first trip to Guyana during the Easter season of 2014 that inspired her to write the book. In fact,Wayne Gretzky Jersey, her family travels to a different part of the world at least once each year, creating the opportunities to learn new things about that country/ Island’s culture which she enjoys. However, the Guyana experience was different.“I experience a personal connection since my parents still have relatives who live here,” the eight year old stated.Consequently, her book captures the life of a little boy of Guyanese parentage, faced with many domestic and academic challenges after losing his father to a horrible accident. While all seems lost, the support of family and friends soon helps him to understand that believing in one’s self can lead to the accomplishment of great things. The book also captures the essence of family life in Guyana and New York.“The objective of the story is for my readers to understand that life will always bring challenges but it is how you deal with those challenges that separate you from others. Also,Clark Griswold Jersey, I want to inspire other children to reach for their goals,” she said.Giving BackAnaya credits her parents with leaving an indelible impression on her to always remember the less fortunate. Over the years, Anaya has taught of several ways in which to do so; from lemonade stands, to visiting neighbours with her parents to raise money for St. Jude’s Children and more.The experience has boosted the confidence of this little lady who makes it her duty to learn new words as often as possible. Her ultimate desire is to encourage a greater level of reading among her peers.In this same vein, the young author launched her self-titled reading award initiative at the National Library.Winners of the competition will receive cash prizes but they must read as much books as possible, she explained.“Through reading, the world becomes closer and reachable. Reading takes you places beyond your imagination. I could be in my living room in New York but while reading, through my imagination I could be in London learning about that culture and lifestyle,” Anaya explained.Anaya has read hundreds of books. She counts the Harry Potter series, Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series,Teuvo Teravainen Jersey, the Magic Tree House collection, ‘Fire from the Rock’ by Sharon Draper and ‘Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls, among her favourites.The young writer is currently reading, “Dreams of My Father,” a book written by US President Barrack Obama. Besides being an avid reader, the eight year-old loves sports and she lists Karate and Soccer, (Football) among her favourite activities.Anaya, a 4th grader also has two siblings, Chantelle and Brandon and she is currently on tour in Guyana to promote her book, which is available at Austin’s book Store and on Amazon.com.  Anaya’s beloved choice of words is “Continue to dream big!”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 23:24 , Processed in 0.076718 second(s), 28 queries .