10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-7-2 05:30:11 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph Seeram: It was just a one line statement on her Facebook page, “OMG! My apartment has been flooded again”. It was a simple statement,Alex Delvecchio Red Wings Jersey, but it really doesn’t tell the real story of the devastating effects last week’s floods had on the poorer families in Guyana.I knew the individual, a single mother; I knew her apartment was flooded with knee high water late last year, when a koker door for lack of maintenance was blown away by the force of the Demerara River.The individual is a friend of mine so I made a call on Facebook messenger (free of course. I love that App) to check on the extent of damage. Some clothes were ruined,Throwback Jerseys, some retrievable by washing. The furniture, carpets and so forth were damaged, but the frustrating part was the clean up after the flood.No one takes the time to ascertain the economic hardship these floods have on the poorer section of the society,Wholesale China Jerseys, the “small man or woman to be correct”, who struggles daily to “make ends meet”.We are talking of thousands of households here; people who probably still owe Courts for their furniture, and will still have to pay for them regardless of whether they were destroyed by the floods.Absent in all of this is the economic loss and damage to individuals, farmers, the business community and the Government as a whole. There are pictures of the flooding as usual, flooding (pardon the pun) social media, which has become a routine these days; people just dismiss it as “oh Georgetown flood again”.No one has made any effort be it the press, the Private Sector or the Government past and present to quantify the loss due to these devastating floods, in terms of dollars. No doubt the loss will be in the billions of dollars, when taken as a whole.What the population gets is the usual “knee jerk” band aid reaction, Ministers and Government officials at the scene where a few canals and trenches are being cleared with excavator. Later the water recedes and all is forgotten.This week I was amused watching pictures of two politicians at the scene of some of the floods. As I watched the photos the word hypocrites came to mind.There was Hamilton Green who presided over the deterioration of the Georgetown from garden city to garbage city; who presided over the lawlessness that took place by business as well as individuals by impeding, nay, blocking drains and canals with their construction in the City.Hamilton Green just woke up from his slumber of the last 20 years and still does not realize that it is the responsibility of the City Council to keep the canals, trenches and drains of the city clean, de-silted and free of garbage.Then there was former President Bharrat Jagdeo and some PPP officials visiting and talking to flood victims. I am saying to myself, now what can Bharrat Jagdeo and the PPP tell these poor victims who suffered from years of this old problem? What comfort can he give them?He certainly can’t pass the blame on the new APNU-AFC government which has only been in office for barely two months, just getting its “feet wet” literally and figuratively.So I am asking myself again what could he be possibly telling those affected victims of the flood? More so what can they be telling him? Could they be telling him that he and his PPP have been in power for 23 years and what did it do to resolve the recurring flooding problem. One would have thought that after the devastating floods of 2005,Wholesale Cheap Jerseys, that a National Plan would have been implemented to relief Guyana of the flooding nightmare.Look. It’s no rocket science; everybody knows what the problem is and what the solution is. Those of us who are older know that there were never such devastating floods as the country is experiencing now. The infrastructure is there or was there. It needs a bold initiative by the Government to implement a plan regardless of cost, and I am sure it will cost less than what it is costing the economy and the poor man’s pocket now,Everyone knows you have to clean all the canals and trenches, not just clearing weeds but de -silting them,Andrew Desjardins Jersey, dredging them to make them deeper; keep drains clean.If you have to break all the illegal bridges and culverts that block or impede the flow of the drainage then do so.We know that since Guyana is below the sea level, we have to wait on low tides to open the sluices or koker into the rivers. What is lost on those responsible is the fact that the trenches and canals act as a catchment to retain the water until the tide is low to drain. The system was in place years ago and the country except for a few farming areas never experienced the frequency of the problem.Whether this new Coalition Government will have the will to take bold action to resolve this nightmare remains to be seen. It is not an insolvable problem. I mean, even President David Granger could not leave his house without getting “his feet wet”. That may be a good thing; sometimes you have to ‘walk in the wet shoe” like the other person to know how soggy it feels.President Granger held an emergency meeting to discuss the flooding situation. To be honest the PPP held a lot of emergency meetings about floods, but whatever decisions were made, as soon as the water receded those plans, faded and dried up as quickly as my friend’s damaged furniture, thrown in the garbage, awaiting the next round of floods.Oh,David Njoku Jersey, and according to Facebook posts, the rainfall and flooding are easy to predict; just schedule a big cricket match at the Providence Stadium. If you doubt me just ask the thousands of cricket fans who turned up for last Wednesday’s match at the Stadium, especially those who travelled from Berbice and Essequibo.So there you have it, you can predict floods by cricket matches. Next time my friend will know to move her furniture and clothes to higher ground when “big cricket” in town. Did I tell you she lives near the Stadium too?Ralph Seeram can be reached at email: [email protected] and Facebook
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 14:10 , Processed in 0.071218 second(s), 28 queries .