9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-7-2 17:37:47 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Leonard GildarieCrime, flooding,LeBron James USA Jersey, the state of the economy, and those infamous 100-day promises by the new Government – that about sums it up for what has been dominating the headlines in recent times.I have grown up in Guyana. I know hardship. I recalled lining up for food and other commodities in the ‘80s. I recall having very few clothes and doing without because we simply could not afford. I have said it over and over again. I am no expert at anything, but my experiences have given me a right to speak my mind. I will not give up that right for anything. Our country should boast of this democratic right and fight to keep it.Leonard GildarieI have been advised to take my family and leave Guyana after well ventilated events over the past year. I love this country too much. I have been offered jobs. I refused. I like my independence at Kaieteur News too much. I love what I am doing. I have seen changes made with just the publication of something I have written.I have made peace with myself a long time ago that we all have a purpose, a time on earth. We should make it count. It makes me happy when persons call and say thank you. I would tell them it is my job.But it has made me angry that for years we have tolerated or fostered an attitude that nothing changes. That we can tolerate bribery and say nothing because as the boys say, that is life pun de dam. We tolerate flooding year after year. We tolerate mediocre service and say that nothing can change.I will choose one topic for this week- crime. My father, a policeman, was killed in January 1980 while on the job.This morning I will be at Eve Leary to attend the annual wreath-laying ceremony for fallen police officers. I find it an honour. When he died, it left my mother broken up for years. Although she remarried,Authentic Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Pistons Jersey, that traumatic loss always stayed with her. She is no more.So I can speak firsthand of the loss a family suffers when a loved one is snatched. I stopped covering crime awhile now. It is hard talking to families whose breadwinners are no more.I attended the funeral of Ganesh ‘Boyo’ Ramlall, the Regent Multiplex Mall owner from La Jalousie, West Demerara,Authentic Andrew Bogut Mavericks Jersey, who died after a bandit attack. It was a crime that shocked the business community, because he was a man that was well known.The pain in the eyes of his wife and daughter and other family members brought back harsh memories. I have seen it too many times.Many children have lost their fathers; wives their husband and mothers their sons.I have not seen a study of what happens to the families after the traumatic loss. What happens to the children? A study should be done to determine the extent of the problems, as there are socio-economic implications.I have been following keenly the revelations of the arrests of the suspects involved in the Ramlall killing. It is most shocking. For two months,J.R. Smith Cavaliers Jersey, according to the reports, Ramlall was being watched. The bandits were planning, biding their time. He reportedly even bought beers for the people who were involved in the crime, just hours before he met his untimely end. He was a man that was loved by his community,Stephon Marbury USA Jersey, free-handed and willing to lend an ear when asked.Strikingly for me was the fact that taxi-drivers were involved. It was a network. Organised. There appear to be several mini-gangs who remain on call, ready for a big work when they were called on.Ramlall was shot several times after he fought back. The killers emptied the gun on him. It would speak of their mindset.The gang members were nabbed at Craig by members of the SWAT team, in an area that does not have a reputation as a haven for criminals. The neighbours expressed shock at the presence of the men. This is significant, as it would signal to the police and other security agencies that attention will have to be paid elsewhere.From information,Authentic Harrison Barnes Mavericks Jersey, it appears that criminals after robberies would boast of their conquests (killings). They would go on binges with friends and families. Surely somebody knew.The booty taken from robberies has to be fenced or sold. These persons are known to the police. There are a number of other factors that will emerge as investigators continue to put the pieces together.  There are cameras available in strategic areas in the country.I mention the different aspects,James Harden USA Jersey, as it is now clear that the police and the other agencies have to take crime-fighting to another level. We have spoken about this for years. We have sent people overseas for training. We have asked for overseas help in fighting crime. Yet for all this, we remain a nation that is more reactive to crime than proactive.The authorities will probably produce stats to counter this notion. However,DeMarcus Cousins USA Jersey, my information suggests that the police would not have been able to crack this deadly gang without help from some citizens.Which brings me to a few humble suggestions. The Government may seriously have to consider establishing a fund that offers rewards for information on crimes. It has worked in other countries. We can ill afford to do otherwise. We have spent billions in other areas for us to say we can’t afford a few millions for our safety.We have an army that is largely quiet. We are not at war, except for the tensions with Venezuela. Our biggest threat remains internally in our communities – with our families and friends.The use of the army to help more in crime-fighting is nothing new. This has been an idea that has been floating around. There are resources available here. They were used before. The collaboration will have to be more.I have been hearing of persons being charged with serious,Kevin Love Cavaliers Jersey, high-profile robberies being remanded, only to be granted bail after applying in the High Court. There are stories surrounding the granting of these applications. This is an area that seriously needs review.We can go on and on. But the engagement with the public by the security agencies and even the good minister has to be taken to another level. We have people who are willing to help. What are the mechanisms we have in place to do so? What mechanisms do we have to protect whistleblowers?I have made a few suggestions. Guyana is getting impatient. We need action. We need answers. May God continue to bless Guyana.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 07:53 , Processed in 0.079876 second(s), 28 queries .