9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-7-3 19:07:41 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
The day was October10, 2007, a day that began like most other days for the people of Linden.People went about their usual businesses,NFL Jerseys From China, either going off to work or sending their children to school, and doing all the myriad activities that people get caught up in during the course of any normal day.No one could have guessed that, before the end of the day, something as horrific as a smash-up that would claim multiple lives would happen.Tyrese McCleanNo one envisaged an accident that would plunge the entire community into a state of shock and disbelief, and change the lives of ten families forever.Described as the most horrific tragedy to have occurred in Linden after the Sun Chapman, the accident at Amelia’s Ward Hill that claimed the lives of ten citizens of this relatively quiet mining community one year ago is still fresh in the minds of most Lindeners.And for the relatives of those who perished, it was without a doubt their worst nightmare!According to a 10-year-old who miraculously escaped death, after he was flung under a seat when the bus slammed into the loaded timber truck, he only realized that something terrible had happened after he heard such anguished cries as,Andre Branch Dolphins Jersey, “Oh God, not now, please!” and “Oh God, a gon dead.”Luckily, that little boy had been sitting at the back of the bus and had escaped with minor injuries. He was the only person to have gotten out of the bus unaided. The others were not so lucky.Two women who were in the front seat bore the brunt of the terrible impact, as the huge logs demolished the front of the bus, dismembering them in the process.Their mutilated bodies, which were later crudely packed into the back of a police van and taken to the Mackenzie Hospital Complex, drew tears from all who saw them.Florence CummingsTheir employer, Joseph Barnes, of Barnes Variety Store, wailed in anguish at the grotesque sight. The other women had been reduced to tears.According to the mother of the driver of the ill-fated bus, Ruby Lewis, her two sons — Paul and Mark — had left for work as usual that morning. Paul was the conductor of the bus, while his brother was the driver.At about 19:00 hours, the young men decided to call it a day and go home, with a full complement of passengers all bound for Amelia’s Ward.“We were waiting on them, but they never came home that night!” Ruby Lewis reminisced sadly.“If it wasn’t for my faith in God, I don’t know what would have happened. I don’t think I would have been able to keep going.”Lewis said that it has been really hard on her since the accident, which took the life of her youngest, Paul.Carl McCalmonHis brother, though fortunate to have escaped with his life, however had to face the wrath of the people and the court.A devout Christian, Lewis said that she was surprised at the attitude of many persons after the accident. It was as if they had forgotten that she, too, had suffered a great loss.Nadia Cummings, a sister of Florence Cummings who also perished that day, related: “Not a day goes by that I don’t think of her. We were very close. We had lost our mother when we were very young, and another sister later, so we were really, really close.And at the time she was the sole breadwinner in the home.“She was so loving; she would always call me from work to find out whether I had eaten, or what I was doing.“I remember the day she died. The last thing I did was to zip up her dress before she left for work.”Nadia said that her sister’s son, Jemel, now lives with her, and she can’t help but worry about him, as he dreams of his mother frequently and would cry out in his sleep. He is now 15.Elaine LashleyPaula Adams, a sister of Evelyn Adams, reminisced: “At first I was shocked, traumatised and really sad, but now God has given me strength.“Evelyn was my baby sister, and she was the closest relative to have died in our family, as both our parents are still alive.“Right now, it is really tough without her, because she used to really assist me with mom and dad. She and my daughter, Onecia, were also really close, as Evelyn used to take care of her.”Paula said that her daughter, Onecia, still cries a lot, even after a year has elapsed, as she was very close to her aunt Evelyn.“The Sunday before the accident the two of them went to church, and then Evelyn spent the remainder of the day with us.”Evelyn’s 21-year-old son, Edward, currently lives with Paula, who said that she knows her nephew still grieves for his mother.Carl Austin’s reputed wife, Monica Omar, was almost eight months pregnant when his life was so tragically cut short that terrible October day.Carl was a conductor, and was returning home on the bus after work.He never made it home, and thus never got the opportunity to see his first child, who was born six weeks later.Monica says that she named her daughter Angel because she has been a blessing in her life, and she hopes that the name itself would keep further tragedies out of her life.“She is everything of her father. Every day I look at her is like I’m seeing him; is like he is right here with us; and she is such a pleasant and happy child. Carl would have been a very proud father,” Monica declared.The doting mother said that her daughter has brought her happiness amidst her sorrow, and that she is mostly sad that the child’s father is not around to share that joy.Paul LewisAngel reportedly calls all her male relatives daddy; and Monica says she will not tell the child about the tragedy until she is old enough to understand.Fonda Lashley, 26, can be considered one lucky girl. She cheated death when the bus in which she was travelling with her mother and two-year-old cousin slammed into the truck.Her mother,Fernando Rodney Jersey, Elaine Lashley, and cousin, Tyrese, were not so lucky.Fonda said that she would learn of the death of her loved ones three days later,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, while in the hospital nursing injuries sustained in the accident.“Everyone thought that it was not a good idea to tell me that mom and Tyrese had died,Cheap Jerseys From China, because we were a very closely knit family and Tyrese used to sleep with me.“So everyone kept telling me they were okay when I enquired, but I somehow knew something was wrong.”Fonda said one of her aunts told her three days later. “I was devastated. I hollered and hollered like I couldn’t stop, as both of them were very special to me.“I loved my mom very much and I miss her terribly; and I sometimes imagine seeing Tyrese on the bed next to me. I think it is my faith in God that has kept me,” Fonda stated matter of factly.The woman said that she sustained injuries to the chest, back, head and feet, and still feels pains in her back and chest.Simone McAlmont had been married for only two months, and had a three-month-old baby, when her husband, Carl, died so tragically that day.Lorraine McCurdy“I am now a victor and not a victim. I have stopped questioning God, because He has been in the midst of everything; and had it not been for Him, I would not have been able to cope.“He has been good to me, and I have proven His strength.  God has created all of us for a purpose, and we sometimes lose focus, so He allows things to happen to grab our attention.“After the accident, I thought I would have gone mad, and I questioned His purpose. But I can now say that He is an awesome God,” Simone said with apparently unwavering conviction.Simone’s baby, Calwyn, who is her pride and joy, is now 17 months old. Like Monica’s daughter, he, too, will never know his father.Colleen Bacchus was described as the very essence of life. According to reports, the 19-year-old school teacher had travelled to be with her family as they made preparations for her grandfather, Fawcett Bacchus’s funeral. The elder Bacchus had died four days earlier, on Saturday, October 6.Unfortunately, Colleen died tragically that Wednesday evening.Her father, Nigel Bacchus, would not learn of his daughter’s demise until the following morning.Colleen had reportedly left home earlier in the day to assist in the family stall at the Mackenzie Market. She did not return that evening, and her father assumed that she was probably hanging out with friends.The following morning, when she failed to return home, Nigel decided to check the hospital, where he got the shock of his life. Colleen was dead.For the Bacchuses, it was a terrible double-blow.History was probably created in Linden as Colleen, who was the first victim to be buried, was simultaneously interred with her grandfather Fawcett at the Christianburg cemetery in Linden.Patricia Alexander, the youngest of Lorraine Mc Curdy’s three children, is now living with her father,Cheap Sports Jerseys, Patrick, and his wife, Esther.Lorraine’s other two children were unavailable for comment, and so was Patrick; but his wife Esther said that the child, who was only nine-years-old when her mother died, is coping favourably.However, on the anniversary of the accident, two days ago, Esther said that Patricia appeared distant and pensive. “I realize, though, that she was probably remembering her mother,” Patricia reflected.The other victim of the deadly smash-up was 17-year-old Delroy Mitchell.A memorial service was held on Friday evening at the site of the accident at Amelia’s Ward, to celebrate the lives of those who perished on October 10, 2007.(Enid Joaquin)
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 18:32 , Processed in 0.065128 second(s), 28 queries .