9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-7-11 01:39:13 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Guyana has been betrayed by some CARICOM countries who are seeking to have Europe force the county into signing the Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA).However, yesterday President Bharrat Jagdeo said that Guyana is unlikely to sign the agreement on October 15 unless his two most recent suggested clauses are included.One clause that President Jagdeo has suggested is that the agreement or declaration to the agreement must say that in its implementation,Wayne Gretzky Jersey, should any of the provisions of the EPA conflict with the revised Treaty of Chaguaramas, then the revised treaty takes precedence.This, the President said yesterday, is to safeguard regional integration process.Secondly, he suggested that there should be a review every five years to look at the socio-economic impacts of EPA on the people of the region,Sergei Bobrovsky Jersey, while at the same time there should be a commitment by Europe to address that impact, should it be adverse.“I have seen a declaration going around, which includes these two,Brandon Mashinter Jersey, but it requires Cariforum countries to say that we will sign only if these two clauses are in. We are constantly seeking ways to improve the agreement, not for Guyana’s sake,Jason Spezza Jersey, but for the sake of the entire region.”The President added that should the declaration include faithfully the two clauses that were suggested,Devan Dubnyk Jersey, then he will reconsider Guyana’s position.During a meeting in the United States with top officials from the European Commission and government of Europe,Denis Savard Jersey, President Jagdeo said that he was told in confidence that some members of CARICOM are urging that Europe  ‘lean hard’ on Guyana to sign.Should Guyana succeed in getting the agreement modified,Patrick Kane Jersey, President Jagdeo said he was told, then some countries in the region would ‘look bad’.“I was very disappointed because I thought I was fighting for a better agreement for the region and not necessarily for Guyana,Mike Gartner Jersey,” the Head of State said yesterday during a press conference.According to the President, a look at Guyana’s position would show that the country would not be so ‘bad off’ as some of the other countries in the region.In fact, he said, Guyana has 53 percent of the European imports already liberalized.These imports from Europe enter into Guyana without any tariffs. Guyana does not have to commit itself to any serious liberalization.“Overtime, we can deal with that impact and then on the other hand Guyana stands the most to lose, because we are the largest commodity exporter into Europe. So by not signing this agreement,Jason Zucker Jersey, we have more to lose than any other country.”Had he selflessly thought about Guyana only, the President said, then this country would have been in the front row trying to sign the EPA.“But I firmly believe that it is a bad agreement for the region and that is why I continue to fight throughout its negotiations and now to seek changes to the agreement. They seem more concerned with saving face than getting a better agreement for the region,” the President said.Given what took place recently at the ACP summit in Ghana, there is a possibility for Guyana to get a better agreement. (Tusika Martin)
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 19:25 , Processed in 0.076217 second(s), 28 queries .