9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-7-15 10:22:26 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
— in fact, Freddie Kissoon’s dismissal was “wrong but not illegal”Ombudsman Winston Moore ruled that Freddie Kissoon, a former lecturer at the University of Guyana (UG) was wrongfully dismissed by the tertiary institution. He recommended that UG should compensate Kissoon.However, Technical Advisor on Tertiary Education,Cheap Soccer Jerseys Authentic, Vincent Alexander is contending that adherence to the Ombudsman’s advice is not mandatory.He told this publication yesterday that even though Kissoon’s dismissal was said to be wrong, which he agrees with, he does not believe that it was “illegal.”He recalled that Kissoon, who is also a columnist with the Kaieteur News, was on a contract with UG, but that contract was abruptly terminated on January 18,NFL Jerseys Supply, 2012.This was despite the fact that Kissoon had five months remaining on his contract, at the end of which, he would have reached the age of retirement.The University had said that it merely ended the contract earlier. The contract stipulated that it could be terminated and three months’ salary is to be paid in lieu of notice.Despite several efforts by Kissoon, University officials did not tell the lecturer why his contract was terminated prematurely.Following a complaint lodged last year with the Office of the Ombudsman, UG was notified that Kissoon’s contract termination breached UG’s regulations and that he should be compensated.Ombudsman Winston Moore, in a letter dated December 22,Sale NFL Jerseys, 2014, to now retired Registrar, Vincent Alexander, stated, “This office has been advised that Mr. Kissoon was wrongfully dismissed, his dismissal being in breach of Statute 25 of the University of Guyana Statutes which provides for notice and a hearing,Cheap NFL Jerseys 2016, as pre-conditions for dismissal. In the circumstances, Mr. Kissoon is entitled to compensation from the University.”Technical Advisor on Tertiary Education,NCAA Hockey Jerseys, Mr. Vincent AlexanderKaieteur News columnist, Freddie KissoonAlexander however clarified that while the letter was addressed to him, he had ceased work at the University by December 22, last.He said, “My last working day at UG was December 23, 2014. In preparation for a seamless handing-over I had ceased, over a month prior to December 23, 2014,Jerseys Cheap NFL, receiving any correspondence and or dealing with any new matter. That letter might have been addressed to me but, in the circumstances…, would not have been directed to me.”Since the Ombudsman disclosed his judgment on the matter, no action has been taken by the institution to compensate Kissoon.In a statement to the media yesterday, Alexander contended that the Ombudsman’s jurisdiction is restricted to matters of maladministration or wrongdoing that is not justifiable.He said, “He could only have concluded that Kissoon was unfairly dismissed. With that view, I concur. While an organization is not compelled to act on the advisory of the Ombudsman, it may be acted on in the interest of justice/fairness.”He continued, “The equally fundamental role of the Ombudsman is to submit an annual report to the National Assembly,Wholesale Jerseys China, which may bring to the attention of the lawmakers, lacunae in the law. In this instance, the lacuna is the absence of provisions in our laws, for the termination of employment by the employer, to be effected only when cause is proffered. It is for the legislators to determine whether or not they accepted that there is a lacuna and if so whether it should be plugged.”The former UG Registrar said that it is for Parliament to now decide how it will act with regard to this matter so that future cases can have firmer ground for legal redress as opposed to relying on discretionary justice.But Alexander’s view on adherence to the Ombudsman’s recommendations is a bit different from those held by Minister of Education, Dr. Rupert Roopnaraine.Roopnaraine believes that the Council of the University of Guyana (UG) should obey the Ombudsman’s report.Roopnaraine had told Kaieteur News in an interview on Friday night that if the findings continue to be handled in a “Casual” manner, then the institution could be showing disregard for the importance of the Ombudsman’s office and its purpose as the protector of the citizens’ rights.The Minister of Education also noted that he feels so passionately about dealing with the matter expeditiously that he will make a case for it through his two representatives on the UG Council.Roopnaraine had said, “This really is an unacceptable state of affairs and it should not be encouraged any longer. I don’t want to give the impression however, that UG is one of the schools that I can just exert my influence on and have my decisions or plans implemented. It does not work like that.“The University of Guyana is an independent institution and everything for it is dealt with through the Council. I, of course, can exercise some influence, if I have a case to make on a matter,Throwback Jerseys, through my extremely competent and experienced representatives. Those two persons are my Technical Advisor on Tertiary Education, Mr. Vincent Alexander and the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Education, Miss Delma Nedd.”Roopnaraine said,NFL Jerseys China Cheap, “The Ombudsman’s findings should not be taken in a casual manner and I will be pushing for this. I do believe that it is important for the Freddie Kissoon matter to be dealt and through my representatives on the Council I will be making a strong case for it.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-2 23:41 , Processed in 0.066587 second(s), 28 queries .