9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-7-30 05:37:41 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Owen John is a ‘Special Person’“When you are committed to a profession, money isn’t a motivator” By Latoya Giles Agricola, one of the most populated and highly regarded East Bank Demerara villages, in recent years has been somewhat stained by crime, more particularly gun violence. There are a few persons who would say nothing good can come out of the village. They quite frankly would be out of line in even entertaining such thoughts. As there are downs there are ups. Having said that, there’s a middle aged community worker, an Agricola product who is currently an employee at the Georgetown Hospital, and who is feverishly working to reverse any negative notion expressed about his beloved community. Owen Nathaniel John who has several noteworthy accomplishments to his name, for over 10 years has been working with the village’s youth – trying to get them to “never settle for less”. John, who has been in the nursing profession for over two decades, currently holds the position of the Assistant Director for Nursing Services at the hospital. He is also the Coordinator for the In-service Education for nurses at the institution. Apart from a reputable career as mentioned, John is a recognized artist, who has received rave reviews for his various works. He is also fluent in four languages.Owen Nathaniel JohnThe father of three is also sports oriented, with an intense passion for table tennis, a discipline in which he is a trained coach. Owen recounted that as a young boy in Agricola he was a sports enthusiast,Cheap Jerseys Online, but at the same time he was “in love” with his books. His early days of learning were spent at St Anne’s Anglican,Bobby Orr Jersey, which is a short distance away from his home in Romulus Street,Wholesale Jerseys, Agricola. At St Anne’s, the tutelage he received laid the groundwork for his success. Owen said he was exposed to various subject areas, with Latin being compulsory. After successfully completing the necessary assessments, he began attending the Sunnybrook Art School. This,Wholesale Jerseys, he opines, helped him to develop above average artistic skills. Afterwards,Cheap NFL Jerseys, he commenced his secondary level experience at the then highly acclaimed Tutorial High School. He also did exceedingly well at the GCE examinations. TRUE PASSION John admits that his true passion was not nursing. He explained that after success in his GCEs, his father enquired what he wanted to become. “I replied by telling him I wanted to become an artist….but he asked what I was going to do with all my GCE subjects”. He noticed a vacancy in one of the dailies and applied at the Georgetown Hospital for the position. They replied to his application and that’s where his nursing career began. He became a registered nurse in 1972. His hard work and true dedication to the job afforded him some recognition as he was selected to attend a course at the Fundação das Pioneiras Sociais College in Brasilia, Brazil. That was in 1983-1984. Upon completion of the course, he graduated with a Post Graduate Diploma in Orthopedics and Traumathology. Shortly after his return to Guyana he was appointed Ward Manager at the Georgetown Hospital. His assiduous attitude towards his job saw him being appointed to a junior departmental supervisor. He was then elevated to senior departmental supervisor, and subsequently to his present designation. Being at the hospital he says can be a little stressful, but he looks past that because he truly enjoys the occupation, and not for any financial reason. “I love my job nothing makes me happier. When you are committed to a profession,Nike NFL Jerseys China, money isn’t a motivator.” As the director, he says he tries his best to encourage and be a role model to his students. “I would tell them (students) don’t just take…one must be able to give back.” With encouragement from relative and friends he went to the University of Guyana and today holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing. He also holds a Degree in Public Management and a Diploma in Project Management from IPED. Apart from the academic qualifications there are several certificates in sports administration. He is also the former President of Guyana Table Tennis Association and former President and Coach of Agricola Table Tennis Club WHAT MAKES HIM SPECIAL? Owen believes that if there is any characteristic that could possibly earn him the recognition as a special person, it would be that he does a lot of things with an aim at perfection. A particularly noteworthy attribute of his, in relation to the challenges of today’s society, is the fact that he has taken over one hundred of the village’s children who are sports oriented “under his wings”. An ardent community worker and sports fanatic, Owen was approached by his eldest son Fabio and they “brainstormed” the idea. He said he saw it as imperative for such a club to be established within the Agricola community. “I adopted my father’s attitude and jumped at the opportunity to help my community” John said. The organisation which is named the Rome Athletic Club has over 100 members. It was formed over three years ago and is continuing to gain recognition in the local sporting arena. He posited that the club has about 20 children who,Cheap Soccer Jerseys Wholesale, once given the chance,Wholesale Jerseys, and considering their tremendous potential, will be highly successful. Owen was also former President of Agricola Community Development Society and Vice President of Agricola Restoration Association His intense desire to give back to the community takes other forms. He also gives Spanish lessons. “I feel there is so much I can do…and I’m going to continue to do so.” He opines that his “easy-going personality” makes people feel comfortable interacting with him. WHO IS OWEN JOHN? Born in 1953, to proud parents Allen and Lovena John, Owen who comes from a bustling household of 11 children, described his boyhood days as “full of adventure”. His father Allen worked hard as a carpenter while his mother who he described as a loving and compassionate woman was a homemaker. From an early age he was taught respect, love, contentment, sharing and caring for his brothers and sisters. He remembers his father firmly instilling the value of hard work and the importance of integrity. His parents also taught him that having a good education was a priceless gift to acquire. With 11 kids in the house, Owen recalls that what remains with him to this day was that father would repeatedly teach them to be loving towards each other…and something else. “My father always told me you must give back to your community and not always take.” Our ‘Special Person’ , whose hobbies include Chess, Athletics, Cricket, Table Tennis, Mixed Martial Arts and Creative Writing, has been married for over 30 years to his beautiful wife Earlene, who is a professional secretary. The marriage produced three well groomed children – Fabio, 26,Wholesale Jerseys, Michael, 23, and Michelle, 20. All of his offspring have also managed to acquire academic and sporting success. His eldest son Fabio is a certified school teacher, while Michael attends the University of Guyana and also works as a graphic artist. His youngest child Michelle is no stranger to the media. She has experienced tremendous sporting success for one so young. She was a former National and Caribbean table tennis champion, all of her accomplishments have helped her to secure a full sports-academic scholarship to Lindenwood University in Missouri, USA. How nice to have a ‘Special Person’ to guide you along!
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-15 23:44 , Processed in 0.074341 second(s), 28 queries .