9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-8-9 10:57:09 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
… Victor Bourne estateMore controversy is erupting over the estate of the late Victor Bourne with attorneys at law battling for further payment from the sale of properties.Attorney at law Gentle Elias, who represented the estate of the late Victor Bourne on behalf of his 10 children, is claiming additional sums to make up the 33 percent fee agreed upon with administrator Norman Bourne. Senior Counsel Rex McKay is demanding his share of the pie for his work done in the initial stages of the case.The attorneys are targeting funds from the potential sale of properties that are to be divided between the children and the dead man’s wife.  Elias has already pocketed $33M dollars.The estate was settled in the High Court by Justice Roxanne George in November 2008,Ryan Callahan Lightning Jersey, with the late Bourne’s wife, Yvette Leacock,Purdue Boilermakers Jerseys, getting half of the $600 million estate and the children the other half.According to the settlement, in addition to an escrow account worth in excess of $80M, the estate consists of several expensive properties.In a letter dated September 1 this year,Guy Lafleur Canadiens Jersey, Senior Counsel Rex McKay wrote to Devon and Vashema Bourne, who have since replaced their uncle as joint administrators of the estate, claiming fees that were owed to him by their father.From all reports the children are not satisfied with their uncle’s representation and believe that he did not act in their best interests.According to the letter, in 1996, the late Victor Bourne had contracted McKay for representation in a property battle against his wife Yvette Leacock with an arrangement to pay a percentage of the market value of the properties after the successful prosecution of the matter.“It is therefore necessary to get a realistic value of the said properties in order to arrive at an amount to be paid for my services as lead counsel on the advice, preparation, institution of proceedings which resulted in the successful prosecution of the case,” Senior Counsel McKay wrote.He did not state the percentage amount he was seeking.With Bourne’s passing,Derrick Thomas Chiefs Throwback Jersey, his brother, Norman,Cameron Brannagan Liverpool Jersey UK, was appointed administrator of the estate to act on behalf of his 10 children.In March 2003, Norman Bourne, dissatisfied with the terms of settlement, was encouraged to sign by another attorney contracted, Gentle Elias, to continue the matter against Leacock.According to Elias, fees were not immediately discussed with Bourne since he had known the deceased businessman and his foremost concern and desire was to genuinely offer his services.Elias stated in a letter to the new joint administrators that their uncle Norman Bourne had explained that another attorney, Miss L. Crawford Abbensetts, was assigned to the case since he could no longer afford to pay Rex McKay whom he claimed had by his attitude toward him, totally lost interest in the conduct and outcome of the matter.“It was his desire at the time to discharge both Mr. McKay and Ms. Abbensetts and to solely retain me. However, I advised him against this course since I believed that Mr. McKay’s name on record would be a great influence in the conduct of the matter and would be to their advantage,” Elias wrote.However, Elias was formally retained and commenced representing the Bourne estate since March 2003.He advised the administrator,John Stallworth Steelers Jersey, Norman Bourne, that it would be best to retain additional counsel to assist him, given the high stake of the matter.Elias said that with the assistance of Roger Yearwood and Lawrence Harris and to a very limited extent Rex McKay, he genuinely represented the estate of Victor Bourne as lead counsel up until the date of judgment.At all material times, Elias said that he kept McKay abreast of the progress of the matter because of his loyalty and respect for the Senior Counsel and his initial involvement in the matter.“I received an initial payment of approximately $33,500,Steve Largent Seahawks Jersey,000 on account of legal fees due to me under the retainer agreement. From this sum I made payments to myself, Mr. Roger Yearwood and Mr. Lawrence Harris only,” Elias wrote.He said that after disbursing the initial fees, McKay then began making demands for payment of a portion of the fees received.However, since the initial fees were already disbursed,Bruce Smith Bills Jersey, Elias made a proposal to Mr. McKay to pay him one third of the balance due and to be collected.But according to Elias, McKay did not find favour with the arrangement and has taken proceedings against him for the full sum of fees collected, including the $33M.Elias said that the new joint administrators should seek proper legal advice since he understands that McKay has claimed that he was the lead counsel in the matter and is requesting fees directly from them.He said though that he was still obligated from a moral standpoint to pay McKay from the balance of fees due to him.With all this legal wrangling, the new administrators of the estate are wondering if at the end of it all,Ken Dryden Canadiens Jersey, they will benefit in any significant way from what their father left for them.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-13 21:01 , Processed in 0.071243 second(s), 36 queries .