9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-8-10 00:56:11 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
The budget is like a mythical bean bag. The government places mythical beans into it,John Brooks Jersey, then reaches in and tries to pull real ones out.Says Michael Benjamin We were sitting at a bar in Georgetown; Brian, with a pensive expression as he cuddled a cold beer and me gingerly sipping from my bottle of Malta. The television was tuned to National Communications Network“I hate this season,Connor Barwin Eagles Jersey,” he suddenly blurted; “All that rough stuff; people screaming and shouting obscenities at each other; everyone just going crazy.“So, stop looking at the wrestling matches,” I advised.“What wrestling matches,” he retorted, “I am talking about the Budget debate in parliament!”He then looked at me, “you don’t seem to be affected in any way?”“Naw,” I replied offhandedly; I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, that is, unless I buy something.”Believe it or not, I really have no problem with the national budget; my problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. I work hard so that the police officers can throw back and enjoy a relatively quiet life. While I could say that I am somewhat satisfied with my take home pay, I have friends that tell me that their take home pay could hardly take them home.When one contemplates the imminent rise in gas prices and the concomitant domino effect this will naturally have on other commodities, one wonders aloud whether our decision makers are serious about lifting the quality of life of the proletariat.The opposition has dubbed the budget an election year instrument. The Finance Minister has vehemently debunked there claims. The average man depends on the experts to interpret and analyze the budget for them. This group hardly understands terms like fiscal expenditure and gross domestic product; it is totally unconcerned with balance of payments and other such terminologies.Practically, senior citizens wish to know what their pension will look like; the average citizen wishes to juxtapose his salary with current market prices and be assured that the qualitative life the government has promised is a reality.Forget about the technical jargon that only serves to ‘kafuffle’ my brain and adds nothing to my limited stock of intelligence.The opposition in parliament ought to provide some checks and balances,DeVante Parker Dolphins Jersey, not only in budget debates but in the general interests of its constituents. Therefore,Ron Jaworski Eagles Jersey, the concerns of all citizens must be addressed, especially since we operate within the context of a plural society.The opposition may feel that it has scored some points when the bill was passed that limited the presidency to two consecutive terms at the helm. Indeed,Joe Montana Chiefs Throwback Jersey, local politicians believe that this model which exists in the USA and Latin America can fit into a Guyanese situation. They believe that the frequent elite circulation would help to strengthen groups in civil society and force political elites to share resources more equitably while providing more accountability.The flip side of this argument, political experts posit, is that this new system could serve to encourage new incumbents to grab as much as they can as they come to power as in the case of Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America. In the absence of hard evidence to substantiate or disprove this view from a local perspective,Mark Clayton Dolphins Jersey, the electorate would just have to continue exercising faith and trust. What about the concerns of the media?The Freedom of Information act is sitting somewhere awaiting the parliamentary process of debate. Shouldn’t this bill take precedence over other matters? Government officials at one of the Caricom Heads of Government Summits had posited the enactment of such a bill in the region among other initiatives in keeping with open democratic processes. There was a view that the privatization of state owned media, especially electronic mediums, should have taken precedence.I am not a politician and do not want to appear as though I am the authority on political matters but it is just reasonable to expect the common folk to bellyache when the system fails and blame is being bandied around. As they say, it is a sad day for the ants when the elephants are at war.Maybe more applicable to my case is the Mandela Dumpsite since my house overlooks this sordid mess. The politicians are always at odds with the M&CC but more particularly, Mayor Hamilton Green,Evgeny Kuznetsov Capitals Jersey, over the manageability and proper maintenance of this site.The Mayor is saying that he is being denied the required immunity and requisite resources to fix the situation. The local government officials are claiming that the Honourable Mayor is totally out of his league in the efficient management of the dumpsite.This ‘caring’ government then steps in and fixes the situation. They are the good guys; Hammy the bad.Well, the game is now over; the citizens affected by this blatant administrative ineptitude must now call on thee relevant officials to address the problem, not from a band aid perspective but by strengthening the local government bodies to encourage greater public participation and accountability and generally to empower civil society.There must be an indication of good faith in the process therefore; there should be de-emphasis of the centrality of the party in local government elections and resource allocations. Most importantly and here is the catch,Chelsea Jersey UK, government must provide adequate funding to allow the local bodies to function autonomously.As it is now, fear stalks the land! Not necessarily fear of dying but fear of suffering; fear of victimization; fear of wrongful imprisonment; fear of deprivation; fear of neglect and poverty and the list goes on.We are assured that the right to free speech is enshrined in the constitution yet many speak in guarded tones,Kyle Quincey Red Wings Jersey, afraid of retribution. The signs are all there—this is an election year; when the politicians would promise the citizenry all manner of things and attempt to deliver the goods—at least to an extent. Citizens must not allow themselves to be hoodwinked; they must demand real, meaningful initiatives that would foster improved quality of living.The opposition forces are adamant that the recently presented budget is an electoral, vote getting instrument. While these fears may ring true, the electorate must not allow itself to be defocused; there are many issues that beg the attention of the government and the voters ought to highlight them as a pre-requisite to voting for any particular group on D-day. As the commercial says—The power is in your hands.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-13 21:07 , Processed in 0.072160 second(s), 28 queries .