10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-8-14 22:11:13 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Sharmain GraingerThe notion of being a fighter and refusing to be a quitter resonates well with the life of Rajnauth Persaud. Even in his profession as a contractor Persaud, who is popularly known as Brother Rudolph, has proven himself to be one of the better skilled tradesman in these parts.‘Brother’ Rudolph PersaudIn fact, his skills are sought after by some in the Caribbean and even North America, however patriotism and love for family has caused him to remain faithful to the land of his birth.However,Chris Chelios Jersey, he did not earn his skills at an institution but rather it was mere practice and close attention to the accomplished professionals over the years that has today allowed for him to be bestowed the title of “master contractor”.  From the age of 12, he recalls, being as busy as the next workman on any worksite. His willingness to work was recognised early on by his stepfather who was a contractor himself back in the day.Although such involvement is today recognised and condemned as child labour, Persaud had no choice but to contribute to the family purse if he was to have a daily meal. Moreover, he was only able to attend school about thrice per month. There was not playing and fun time for the young Persaud, because “from the age of six” he was forced to seek employment.Raised in Wakenaam, an island of about 17.5 square miles situated at the mouth of the Essequibo River,Deatrich Wise Jr Jersey, Persaud was the second of four children born to his mother.  His parents were a young couple when his biological father died. He was just two years old at the time. This forced his mother to find another companion and move to Hampton Court,Morgan Schneiderlin Jersey, Essequibo.Their living conditions certainly did not improve, thus Persaud was required to work. “I had to work with my stepfather and I worked in rice fields, I grazed cows and hardly ever attended school…We really couldn’t afford for me to go to school because times were hard,” he recounted.The family’s predicament would dip further when his mother’s companion passed away. This would force Persaud to find even more work to help support his mother and other siblings. He even remembers that a stepbrother made the heartless decision of “putting us out. So with little money we had to find a house to rent and the time was so rough.”Having gained employment at the Kayman Sankar Rice Factory at Hampton Court, the income was not nearly enough to support a family of five. He recalls his mother opting to buy and sell small items to make an extra dollar.“I too had to go and start walking around with things on my head like fruits and ground provisions to sell…the amount of things I tried to do for money I can’t even list them all right not,” he mused.Applying the finishing touches.His mother eventually found another companion and moved to Peter’s Hall, East Bank Demerara. However, Persaud, at the age of 10,Lynn Swann Steelers Jersey, was sent to his maternal grandmother, at Liberty Island, Essequibo Islands, to take up residence.  There he was introduced to farming and was also exposed to work at a timber grant.With his grandmother as his sole support, life was becoming a bit manageable for the young Persaud. However, things would take another devastating turn when his grandmother suddenly passed away.  He had no choice but to turn to his mother and her new companion at Peter’s Hall. The day after his arrival there he was required to commence work with his new stepfather. But being the hard worker he was,Minnesota Twins Drew Stubbs Jersey, it all came naturally to him to take his place as a labourer on a construction site.He was also a very fast learner and would effortlessly absorb every constructing technique he saw. His ability to emulate did not go unnoticed by his stepfather who insisted that he travel with him to Trinidad to undertake a job there.It was during this period of his life he recognised that of all the jobs he was engaged in over the years, construction was the one that was the most captivating.However when he returned to Guyana work was not immediately available and he commenced working at the then Indra Maha cinema at Peter’s Hall. This would not go on for long as he would soon find a woman who captured his heart. The two would make the decision to co-habit at a house in Kitty, Georgetown. That union would produce two daughters. And in order to adequately provide for his family, Persaud became a fruit vendor at the junction of Irving and Crown Streets, Georgetown. Like his other work there was nothing but dedication for what he did so much so that he became one of the most sought after fruit vendors.But his union would not last and before long he struck up another relationship with a young woman by the name of Ann,Terrence Ross Raptors Jersey, who according to him, helped to channel a much needed change in his life.Curtailing a habitPerhaps due to his experiences, Persaud had developed a drinking habit.Currently a resident of Cornelia Ida, West Coast Demerara, complete with Ann as his wife and two other children, Persaud recalled how for most of his life he was seen by most as nothing more than a drunkard.“I used to drink a lot…in fact I was drinking for most of my life; an everyday drinker that’s what I was,” he recounted.Although his drinking habit had simmered during a period of his life, at no point did he ever consider quitting altogether.  At least this was not up until he was forced into ultimate submission where he was unable to even attempt satisfying his alcoholic craving.At the time drinking was a routine part of his life, so he had no suspicion that something was amiss when he began feeling somewhat unwell. In fact, a year earlier he had been drawn to Christianity by his wife who herself was encouraged to attend church by a neighbour.Soon after becoming a full-fledged Christian too “I just know I started getting very, very sick…I remember just lying on the bed and can’t do nothing for myself…The truth is, I is a man who don’t like going to doctor, so I say I probably gonna recover,” Persaud reflected.Recovery was nowhere near and weeks went by with him becoming weaker and laden with unbearable pains. “I couldn’t work, I started losing weight rapidly and my wife say ‘look you have to go to the doctor’.”His deteriorating condition saw him visiting a number of private doctors and eventually the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation, where he was diagnosed with cancer of the throat.Treatment started almost immediately, but that was certainly not working and it is believed that the lack of costly therapy was a crucial factor which prevented him from recovering. So debilitating was his condition that even the doctors had given up hope on Persaud, who three months later was but a fraction of his former self.With the overwhelming thought that nothing could be done medically to save his life,Calvin Johnson Lions Jersey, Persaud was taken home and quietly prepared to embrace what appeared to be his fate. However, the members of the church he attended did not give up on him.“The pastor and a whole group of brothers and sisters came every single day and prayed and sing hymns around my bed…I will never forget that,” reminisced Persaud as a heartening smile formed on his face.He has no doubt that the regular prayers coupled with his belief in God somehow channelled healing his way. Healing, he explained with complete certainty, came to him in an absolutely miraculous way.“One night I was lying on my bed…I wasn’t sleeping so I know it wasn’t a dream, I know it was reality…I just see this person appear over me and said ‘don’t worry I will cure you’.”Just the man for the jobSleep would soon come to him, but by morning he was revitalised and his attempt to rise on his own was effortless. It would be the first time in months he would successfully make such a move unaided by his wife.It came as a surprise to even the faithful church members when they visited that day, Persaud said, even as he recounted that “I was sitting outside when they came and I just wanted to tell them all about my experience.”A subsequent visit to the doctor would confirm what he already knew – he was cancer-free. A thorough examination revealed that there was no trace of cancer in his entire anatomy. Eight years later he still remains cancer-free and insists that he has no doubt that his healing was strategically orchestrated by God so that his life could be a living testimony to others.Building on bonus timeConvinced that he has been blessed with a second chance, Persaud said that he has been told time and again that he is now living on bonus time. With blooming health on his side, he has been able to fully resume a construction profession which he learned well from his stepfather.Although he started out a labourer, he recalled how his stepfather taught him every aspect of the trade,Samir Nasri Manchester City Jersey UK, so much so that he developed the ability to not only build a physical structure from the ground up, but almost every requirement within is attended to.“With the exception of electrical works I do everything myself…I do the tiling, the painting and plumbing…I can build a house to any specifications,” informed Persaud, whom I witnessed in action recently.Although he was building for many years it was only in 2005 he was truly able to express his handiwork at a full-scale level when he completed his own home at Cornelia Ida. He has since completed a number of other remarkable buildings, added extensions and other works that have not gone unnoticed.Some may even dare to speculate that his building capabilities have evolved to a more refined level since his recovery and there is no doubt that he performs at the best of his God-given ability when he puts his hand to his craft.“I never really tell people about myself…it’s just that people would go around and see my work and somebody would tell them who did it and that is how the word about me got around,” Persaud calmly explained.Moreover, he takes the many construction offers that come his way as an opportunity to tell of his experience in the hope that it would help in some small way to bring about a change in even one person’s life.“If people listen to my experience I don’t think they will do anything else but believe…if people were to consider my life story they would be shocked to know that I turned from this big drinker to a Christian and almost died too.”Contemplating his actions over the years, the father of four said that even as he travels about the country to undertake various tasks, he is always inclined to advise youths to stay away from drugs and alcohol,Kevin Faulk Patriots Jersey, factors he is convinced have the propensity to destroy any life.  However, he noted that even if one becomes so trapped there is yet hope, even as he asserted that “I didn’t have anything but God to help me.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-10 19:46 , Processed in 0.075959 second(s), 28 queries .