10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-8-18 22:52:45 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Rehanna RamsayIt’s the subject of almost every conversation on street corners, almost every argument on facebook and other social media.At present, the hot topic for many young Guyanese is not the latest trends, or what’s happening in the clubs, but politics – the upcoming General and Regional elections. Most don’t seem to care too much about who the next President will be. Their major concern though, is what that new government has to offer them after the May 11 polls.And with their numbers, the young voters are likely to play a pivotal role in deciding who will govern the country after the highly anticipated event.The United Nations Development Programme, (UNDP) had reported that young people make up over 60 percent of Guyana’s population.Alexis Stanton, a twenty- six year- old economic student from Bella Dam, West Bank Demerara says that mere weeks before the nation goes to the polls, there has not been one plausible plan touted by the politicians relative to addressing issues affecting young people.“Most of the time, they take to the platforms and podiums to cuss each other rather than address issues affecting us such as crime, domestic violence and unemployment,” she said adding, “if politicians are to truthfully appeal to the younger generation of voters they must speak of policies and point to tangible undisputed evidence of how they have achieved or plan to achieve their goals.”This young voter is especially concerned about the increased external debt ceiling, which has risen to more 117 percent in recent years.“This bothers me most because it leaves our country at the mercy of those to whom we are indebted and can place our economy in the worst type of financial crisis.”A section of the gathering at the recently held GNYC forum.Shamica Layne,Cheap Jerseys From China, 23, (not her real name), a commercial bank employee, says that there should be a more equal distribution of wealth.  She says that “it must not be only one group of people who stand to benefit from the opportunities available.“Jobs,Dick Butkus Bears Jersey, land and other resources should be shared equally,” she said.Michelle Persaud, 18, a student says: “I am flabbergasted at some of the things I hear coming from the mouths of some of these politicians at elections period.”She said that “It is so disturbing to see how these politicians behave sometimes; I think they should be more careful about what they say. Because as a young person, some of those things I hear uttered are not in the least bit motivating or appealing to me.”“I think politicians should show a little more respect and consideration to us, the young voters.” Persaud added.  She believes that input from the government and opposition are pivotal to the country’s development.The teenager held out that politicians on both sides of the fence are accountable for the nation’s progress.“I  feel like whichever party wins the elections has the upper hand to rule but that does not mean that the opposition should not have their say  in the process….Each has a role to play and should be able to contribute. The government should not operate as a monopoly.”The first time voter further noted that the opposition could be more proactive, creative and strategic in their representation of the people. “Don’t just protest! Find ways to adequately intervene in the interest of all Guyanese.”Jonathan Harris, an aspiring Attorney –at- Law, lamented the issues of corruption.Harris believes that issues of corruption in Guyana can be solved since corruption is directly linked to a person’s integrity.“The sum total of a man’s character is what he does when no-one is watching and unless you and I decide that we will uphold the tenets of integrity we will be easily swayed by corruption… I call on all politicians to inculcate the values inexplicably bound up and linked to integrity to bring an end to corruption   “Given his views on corruption, Harris is also an ardent advocate for transparency.“What’s with all these deals that citizens have no say in? You want our support,Mark Clayton Dolphins Jersey, treat us like we matter; don’t wait until elections to promise us better. We deserve better!”Elsie Harry, a student of the University of Guyana, (UG) said that she wants a system in which young people can have an input in their country’s state of affairs.She said the real integration of youth in development of their country can be set up through a youth parliament that is exclusively managed by young people and funded by young people.“A youth parliament which functions all year round; a living breathing organism,Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping, where young people can meet and share their perspectives, have debates and come up with positions to send to the National Assembly for inclusion in critical pieces of legislation which also seek to address young people.”She also noted that the current education system begs for improvements. “What we have is a teaching system in which all students do is basically sit in a classroom and listen to what the teacher has to say. We need an education system where students are taught how to think critically, analytically and be involved in the process of learning.”Rondell Adams, also a student, feels that youths are not motivated by the current crop of politicians. He pointed to the lack of programmes fostering youth development.“I think that a policy should be crafted which allows young people who have finished their secondary and tertiary education an opportunity to develop their skills.”President of the University of Guyana Student Society, (UGSS) Joshua Griffith, noted it is often said that the true power lies with the people of the country.“We need a government that is more involved and listens to the people, not only at elections time.  I think most politicians are guilty of losing their first love, which is the people and power must be restored to the people under the elected government.”Speaking specifically about education, Griffith noted that students should receive an education which equips them with skills and ideas to create employment; rather than seek work which most times is not available to them when they leave school.Anasha Chaitram, 19 of Meten- Meer-Zorg, West Coast Demerara, says that she believes that the government is doing a good job but more can be done, in terms of assisting individuals with disabilities.My father is blind and I know for a fact that it can be difficult on those with disabilities as well as their families, in terms of medical care and education, materials like school books and so on. I think there should be more financial assistance for those persons because the government would sometimes cater to only half of the bill….”Simone Barker, a 29 year old salesgirl and mother of one, from the East Coast of Demerara,Martellus Bennett Patriots Jersey, says that she believes that there is need for an education system where pregnant teenage girls can finish their schooling.“A lot of times these teenagers don’t return to school because they fear being judged,Javier Baez Cubs Jersey, they don’t feel welcomed in schools anymore. I think there should be special provisions for them to continue their education. I am glad that it is elections because I think it’s time for a change.”Timaly Pearson,LeBron James USA Jersey, 25, says she wants to see an increase in employment for young people. She noted that it can be quite frustrating when someone attends school, gets qualified,Avery Bradley Celtics Swingman Jersey, but jobs are not available.“I would want to see more jobs and jobs with benefits, especially for the public sector workers like the teachers, police and nurses because I believe if persons are being (rewarded) properly for their services they would not resort to criminal activities or corruption as you witness many times in the various sectors.”In wake of the shoddy work carried by some who were awarded contracts by the government, Kevin Parsram, a contractor, expressed the need for equality and fairness in contracts being offered by the government.“I think there should be a system in place where not only one set of people get government contracts.  A contractor should get a contract based on how they can do the work,Cody Allen Indians Jersey, not by way of friendly favours.”Junior Wade says that there is need for a more hands-on Youth Ministry representing the interest of young people.“We have the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport, but sometimes I forget it exists because it’s quite dormant when it comes to promoting youth or dealing with issues affecting them,” he saidWade says that not enough is being done to foster youth development in Guyana.“What I am trying to say is, challenge the young people and have incentives to encourage them. Offer scholarships …Invest in their future …  Find creative ways to link education to athletics and the arts, so that you can foster a generation of well rounded individuals …”It is no secret that the first African American and current President of the United States, Barrack Obama’s election to office was influenced by this type of “swing vote,” electorate.Obama is said to have captured 66% of youth votes in November, 2008 polls under the banner, “Change We Can Believe In”, particularly because of his critical policies on healthcare, the economy, the environment, gun control and other issues.Through informative links like that of the Guyana National Youth Council’s (GNYC) “Vote like a Boss” initiative ,  Obama’s campaign organisers appealed to young potential voters and encouraged them to be part of the electoral process which changed the future of their nation and individual lives.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 15:07 , Processed in 0.071786 second(s), 26 queries .