4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-8-23 19:03:07 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Leonard GildarieDuring the recent debate in the National Assembly over the 2016 budget, there were criticisms by theLeonard GildarieOpposition over a delay by Government to name new Ambassadors and High Commissioners in our overseas offices. And I agree. We should be moving speedily on these.But Guyanese should want it for another reason. I have wondering over the years about the role of our overseas representatives and whether Guyana should not have looked at the possibilities of expanding their role.We can take a look at what prevails locally and learn a little.Last year,Ilkay Gundogan Jersey, Canadian-owned Guyana Goldfields started operations. It was a gruelling number of years for that company to reach where it is today…a big player in Guyana in the gold industry…so much so that the country is depending this year on it to contribute over 150,000 ounces.Throughout the journey by that company in the start-up, officials from the Canadian High Commission were foot-to-foot with the principals. The bureaucracy and other hurdles, including environmental ones, were many. Some of the concessions granted to the company,Nathan MacKinnon Team North America Jersey, I am sure, are in no small way because of the input of the offices of the High Commission here.We see the role being played by the Chinese Embassy here in the many projects that China has ongoing throughout the country,Claudio Bravo Jersey, including the Timehri airport and the East Coast Demerara road project.The embassy’s input is critical. China,Nolan Carroll Eagles Jersey, understandably, is aggressively spreading its wings throughout the world and pulling out stops for its companies and businesses to gain a foothold in the natural resources sector, and especially in commerce.The United States is here, and one of its major companies,China Jerseys Online, ExxonMobil, has found oil in Guyana’s waters. It appears that the find is significant and Guyana is poised to become an oil player in a few years.It is natural that the US would want to ensure that its company is protected, even in face of the aggression by neighbouring Venezuela. The point is that the representation by these embassies indicates the critical role played by staffers.We have had officers stationed in key overseas territories, some for years, but how effective they were, I don’t know. And that is the problem. We knew little of what they did, except maybe facilitate a loan or grant for a project here or there.I know that the embassies and High Commissions play a role in helping Guyanese renew their passports and apply for birth certificates. I say it is time we move beyond that.Guyana is boasting of so many things. We are now aggressively pushing tourism. We have fresh foods. We have lumber, beautiful furniture and so many other things.I am not saying that the embassies and High Commissions are not playing any role.It is just that we do not know or hear much.I am humbly suggesting just like how there is a commercial section in the embassies here in Guyana,Nolan Arenado Rockies Jersey, we could move to expand how we do business with ours.We need our local exporters to have access. We need to be able, with a phone call, to ask our embassies to check for sources of financing for our projects or to help us find markets.In the US,Ryan Mason Jersey UK, we reportedly have over 300,000 Guyanese living there. Many of them want to return. Little St. Maarten in the Netherlands Antilles has more than 5,000.Trinidad, Suriname, Antigua and Barbados also boast of a significant number.Many of them love their Guyanese food. They want the Hassar and Bora and pepper.Yes, our exporters have been doing a good job in taking it to Queens, New York.But we have so much more. Farmers are dumping a significant part of their harvests annually because of a lack of market.Our tourism should not be concentrating too much on Europe and the “rich white folks”.We have too many Guyanese in the diaspora that we can tap into. The big challenge is getting cheaper flights to Guyana. Instead of depending on the tourism office to have a booth here and there at some show or the other, our local policy makers should move beyond lip service.Again, I am not sure whether our embassies and High Commissions have moved to this stage. We just don’t know. We should know.We are in an age where communication is easy. International calls via Skype or even Whatsapp have made things so much easier.It is time to utilize all our resources in a more meaningful way.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 00:23 , Processed in 0.058366 second(s), 26 queries .