4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-8-29 12:39:59 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Enid JoaquinSchools have reopened on Monday across the country and save for a few delays, and for Linden, there has not been any major disruptions,For Lindeners, the events following the July 18th shootings which left three persons dead and a month-long protest over hikes in electricity rates will remain etched in their minds for some time. The protests are over but several buildings, including the One Mile Primary School were burned, reportedly by arsonists.Kaieteur News has spoken to a number of Lindeners who have shared their thoughts on the new school year in that Region 10 community.Fnita Small (Cosmetologist) – I think everybody is happy that school is now reopening. My main concern, though, is these children, who go to school for regular sessions and then after school,Cheap NFL Jerseys, they have their own ‘sessions’ out on the streets. This is a burning issue right now, and parents need to step up and take up their responsibility as parents, and pay more attention to their children. Too many of them are left to their own devices.  I’m very concerned and saddened by this state of affairs. I come from the old school, and I believe in the maxim, that it takes a village to raise a child, so we also need to be our brothers’ keepers, and look out for each other’s children, pull them up when they’re doing wrong, and advise them. Too many people are afraid to speak out, but I for one will continue to speak out, I don’t care who don’t like it.Kim Holland-Hodge (Housewife) – What I’m most concerned about, at the beginning of this new school year, is the conditions that teachers are forced to live under at the Teachers Training College at Turkeyen. Conditions there are atrocious, and year after year it ain’t getting better.Students complain about the flooding- and this is not just hearsay, I have a relative there right now.  The living conditions at this institution are certainly not conducive- the environment certainly leaves a lot to be desired.  And the food-well that is another matter. All I can say in that regard is that better really needs to be done. The stipend that is given is also totally inadequate.Orpah Bowen – (Malali resident) – It’s about six years now that Malali Primary School does not have a Head Teacher… we need one. We have about fifty students attending the school, and only three teachers. The one trained teacher is currently acting as Head Mistress. I think it’s about time the Ministry officials look into this, and provide a Head Mistress for the school, and more trained teachers, because our children are suffering, especially the Grade Six pupils.Ruby Bakker – (retired Headmistress) – Parents will be affected right now, because of what happened recently with the shutdown; it’s going to be really hard on a lot of them, especially the single parents, because some of them have children entering secondary school, and some of these schools are charging as much as $5,000 and $8,000 in contingency fees, which is hard on people in ordinary circumstances. On top of that, they still have to find school clothes, text books and other supplies. I think the heads of these schools have to be flexible with parents and consider the prevailing economic situation.Yvonne Drakes – (seamstress) -I would like to see people paying more interest, and placing emphasis on their children’s education, and less on what they wear. Too many people are more interested in how pretty their children look to go to school, and not looking into what the children are actually learning in school. The children too are placing more emphasis on the brand name shoes and boots- on material things, than on their education. They have to understand that going to school, is not about looking sexy. Also I would like to see parents; especially mothers, pay more interest in their children’s welfare.  Too many children are out on the streets for too long after school would have been dismissed- many of them are out here on the park, just liming- and if you hear the conversations. On the whole, the attitude and behavior of these children when they are out in the streets, especially out here on the park, leaves a lot to be desired; it’s totally disgusting and ridiculous. Bus after bus going and coming and they ain’t going home.People have to start monitoring their children more, they have to start finding out where they are and what they are doing; especially the girls, mothers have to pay more attention to their daughters.Vilma Tyson – (Farmer) – My whole concern is that foreign languages such as Spanish and Portuguese should be taught in the schools, from Nursery level onwards. Communication is our greatest tool, so we need to work to get our people at least bilingual, because as things stand right now, we have a great language barrier in Guyana, we cannot even communicate with our neighbours such as the Venezuelans and Brazilians properly. My other concern is truancy, too many children are out on the streets and at home, when they should be in school.John Piggot – (Operator) – I think we need school buses- in my days we used to have school buses, and there were hardly any road fatalities, involving children. Some children have to travel long distances to go to school so transportation is a big problem, not only in Linden, but countrywide, so the Government needs to look into getting back school buses on the roads.Deslyn Beckles – (School teacher) – I would like to see the Ministry put systems in place where they cater for the children. We have children with different learning abilities etc, so we need to set tasks that are reachable for them, because if we don’t we would only be frustrating those students.Nicola Norton – (Parent) – I’m very concerned that so many students are leaving school and can’t get jobs. Parents do their best to educate their children, and then at the end of it, the children can’t get jobs; and this is leading to too many young people being idle. I think we have to put systems in place so that these children could be gainfully occupied when they come out of school. It is not just about getting the education; it is about providing the scope for these children to develop themselves later. Floyd Martindale – (Promoter) – My main concern is the children that are left unattended at school, when teachers go off to University of Guyana. I think the Ministry of Education needs to look into this matter. They need to “shuffle” teachers attending UG because they are usually going during school time.  Many times when you question your children about what they did at school for the day, they will tell you that they only did one or two subjects because “Miss’ had to go UG. And there is no one left there to fill the gap. Parents also need to spend more time helping their children at home.Rennis Morian – (Pastor, Member of Parliament)I’m happy that school is now reopening. I support the work of the teachers and educators in Region 10. My concern is the paucity of administrative ability and knowledge in the regional administration. While the Regional Education Department is geared and ready to go; what is lacking in the regional administrative system is a cohesive team and a plan working for the development of Region 10.   We need an administration that is staffed with personnel with the prerequisite professional skills and abilities that are able to execute the education project in Region 10. This must be done free from nepotism, favoritism and spite management or the delivery of education in the region will continue to suffer.Tiffany Feidtkou (former student) – I am happy that school is now reopening and I am sure many others are very excited too; for me it’s a sort of déjà vu, because it brings back memories of my own excitement upon school reopening, while I was there. But now it’s sort of bittersweet, observing all the excitement, but  knowing that at the end of it all, there is not much to be excited about; because when we get out of school there are no jobs- no opportunities, so now what do we do?. It’s frustrating for both parents and children who would have sacrificed a lot. Speaking for myself I’m very much frustrated because my dream is to become a manager or accountant, and it’s been a year now since I’m out of school, and I have nothing to do. I have nine CXC subjects and four at CAPE, yet I’m unemployed, and I know there will be others just like me, coming out of school year after year, with high hopes, but little to look forward to.Government needs to do a lot more to ensure youths like myself can become gainfully employed. Leslie Adams (boat captain) – Yes it’s another school year, and children are really excited and everything. But my main concern is that these children idle too much. Too many of them are out in the streets, when they should just catch a bus and go home. In our time we didn’t have all these buses and taxis, but we used to get home in a more timely manner than these children. Something really needs to be done about this.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 04:39 , Processed in 0.072256 second(s), 26 queries .