10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-9-6 10:45:06 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Romila BoodramFive years ago, Nadine Gomes anxiously awaited each text and call. Still,Eddie George Titans Jersey, her stomach turned every time her phone would ring or vibrate and every time there was a knock at the door.Sometimes, she would even turn her phone off at night– the fear of getting that life-altering news too much to bear.She lived with that terror for a week as her beloved son, Terry Gomes, a boy whom she says “played cricket, wrote poems and told his mother endlessly how much he loved her,” disappeared.He struggled with mental illness for more than two months.Acting CMO, Dr. Jeetendra MohanlallIn January 2010,Wholesale NFL Jerseys Online, after Terry had gone missing for about a week, her phone rang. A Police Corporal was at the other end of the line. She immediately called out to her husband to share the call.“I never wanted to be alone to find out whether something happened to Terry,” she said during a recent Skype interview from her home in Queens, New York where she moved two years ago.It was the call she feared the most. Terry, just 18 was gone. He had drowned in a trench at Plaisance, East Coast Demerara (ECD), she learned.Her life, like the lives of parents too numerous to count who have also lost children to mental illness,Hanley Ramirez Red Sox Jersey, was forever changed. Terry was her only child.According to the mother,Custom Manchester City Jersey UK, Terry was just a happy child but this gradually started to change when he met his first girlfriend.“He was happy. They went out like any other young couple. They dated for about a year and then he found out that she had another life on the internet. One day he went by her and she wasn’t at home so her mother let him in the house,Marc Bartra Jersey,” Gomes recalled.She added that her son asked to use his girlfriend’s computer and when he logged on there were all these messages from a guy in New York. There were abortion messages, marriage messages and vacation messages.Gomes said that her son then found out his girlfriend of one year was actually a married woman. “While her papers were being processed, she was having an affair with my son and he had no idea.”Zenita Nicholson and her daughterZenita Nicholson was laid to rest yesterdayAccording to the mother,Ryan Reaves Jersey, her son stopped eating; he stayed at home all the time and listened to very loud rock music. “In the nights he would cry. He hardly came out of his room. We tried to talk to him but he wouldn’t let us in. I had no idea what to do. My son was depressed.”She said that this behaviour continued for four months. “I took him to a clinic in the village and they said that they had no social worker or psychiatrist to help. I sat and cried. I was losing my son and I didn’t know what else to do.Terry later disappeared from home and his mother was subsequently informed that he had drowned.Terry Gomes’s death has exposed the lack of a proper mental health care in Guyana. He had no access to social workers and there is no department which deals primarily with counseling.Also, the sudden passing of Human Rights and Lesbian, Gay,Wes Hopkins Eagles Jersey, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) activist, Zenita Nicholson, by way of a suicide has also reminded us of the significant gap that exists in our mental health system.At present,Olli Maatta Penguins Jersey, Guyana has at least five doctors who deal with mental health in the country. All are based in Georgetown and at the New Amsterdam Psychiatric hospital.However, the country has 10 Administrative regions. This means that at least eight regions in Guyana do not have access to psychiatrists.Anthony Autar, Managing Director of the Guyana Foundation, a Non-Governmental Organization said that Zenita’s death has shown that even the caregivers need care and support.“The needs, locally, are so vast that often times those involved in counseling/advocacy are overburdened and unable to invest in the self care needed to maintain balance and deal with personal life challenges,” Autar said.Social workers at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) explained that there is indeed a need for a mental health department.“At least every region must have access to a mental health department where persons can go and be counseled. If not a psychiatrist, there must be social workers to help people. Mental illness cannot be seen, it is mental illness. Some people aren’t open about their illness but we must look out for the signs,” a social worker said.Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Jeetendra Mohanlall, explained that mental health is everybody’s business and people should pay attention to any changes in their loved ones’ behaviour.He said that the Ministry of Public Health is doing a lot of work to develop this area.“As we move forward, the demand will be more but this is an area we are working on continuously,” Mohanlall stressed.While the acting CMO has acknowledged that there is indeed a lack of adequately trained professionals in this field,Cesar Azpilicueta Chelsea Jersey UK, he said that the ministry is encouraging young doctors to make a career out of mental health.The most commonly diagnosed mental illness in Guyana is schizophrenia. In 2008, the suicide rate for males was 33.8 per 100,000 people, while for females it was 11.6 per 100,000 people.Neuropsychiatric disorders contributed an estimated 13 per cent of the global burden of disease in 2008.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 03:22 , Processed in 0.073486 second(s), 26 queries .