9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-9-17 11:07:08 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
____________________________BOOK: Singleholic by Katherine BingCRITIC: Dr Glenville Ashby_________________________________Oftentimes, we are told to judge a book by its merits, not its packaging. It’s an axiom applicable across the board. In the case of Singleholic, such counsel never proved so true. At the outset, this literary teaser can easily be misconstrued as a whimsical chronicle of a woman’s search for Mr. Right. And while a cursory read may bear this out, there is an undeniable message of philosophical depth.The book cover of SingleholicKatherine Bing has penned an urbane, stylish,Soccer Jerseys China, overtly contemporary work that takes a bohemian and paradoxically flippant look at dating, love and marriage.Sarah,Wholesale China Jerseys, the protagonist is a thirty-year-old professional, professedly at the cusp of irrelevance without a beau. She is obsessive, self doubting – a bundle of nerves when encountering a prospective suitor. Her biological clock is ticking, ticking. Her ruminations are hilarious: ”YESSIREE…I am IN DEMAND now. Guys are ringing, begging to see me. I am doing OK. Chibu,Wholesale Jerseys, Sam, and Charlie… Guys really want me. I have too many men and too little time.”Her prognostications are desperate and irrational. ”By the time next year,” she mulls, ”I will have an engagement ring on my finger.” She goes on to envision ”the most fabulous wedding of the century,” after a chance meeting with an attractive gentleman.Bing impresses as a writer, flirting with a range of colour and tone. She imbues vigour into a subject that’s potentially banal with a short shelf life – at least on paper. Her work is vivid, entertaining. The strength of her undertaking is its broad appeal.  For women, Sarah becomes a reflection – a mirror that deciphers self worth and identity.On human behaviour, there is so much to be gleaned. Strengths and weakness are laid bare. This is a literary joyride, no doubt, but its clinical worth is unquestionable. Bing offers a panoramic view of romantic indulgence within a contemporary framework. No writer has done it with such raw honesty and candour.It’s Sarah’s stage, but all the characters come alive. Georgina, the perfect doyenne; Manuele, the sexual libertine; and Sarah’s friend, Jacqui, who is the poster child for the modern woman, or, is she? A professional and top of her game, she offers a crash course on dating. ”Men are children really children,” she asserts, as she counsels Sarah on the commandments of dating. ”Men need to feel that they have worked to get you or they will never adore you…don’t always pick up the phone. Let them think that you are out having a ball. And always make sure you end conversations first…”We later learn that Jacqui’s history with men, including her father, has all but coloured her view of the opposite sex. Her defence mechanism is a bi-product of social expectations…the emergence of a new system of mores. But it also stems from painful experiences.Interestingly, Sarah, a teacher and well heeled, proudly wears the badge of the traditional woman, seeking that knight in shining armour, white picket fences, and children to be whole. She recoils at the young generation’s flippant, nonchalant view to marriage. ”We,” referring today’s women, ”are like seventeen-year-olds in terms of out career ambition,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, but we still hang on to the romantic notion of love and marriage from our mother’s generation. Is it possible to have both?” she asks herself. It’s an interesting observation that invites sociological debate.Bing’s work is not without some culturally sensitive moments. It is tinged with stereotypes about race and ethnicity. In a multicultural society such as Brixton,Cheap MLB Jerseys China, and biracial (British father and Jamaican mother), Sarah is liberal in her selection, but she prefers black men, if only they were more culturally palatable.”So many of them wear loads of gold….YUCK…”And later, when Sarah dates Chibu who is of Nigerian heritage,Cheap Jerseys Wholesale, she muses, “he sits up straight as he drives. What a relief. Ever notice how many black guys drive almost lying down?”Throughout, there is a definitive message that takes, oh, such a long time for Sarah to grasp. The key to happiness is always embedded within. Sometimes lessons learned are painful. And Sarah has sure had a fear of anxious, doleful episodes. In the end, she realizes that what she so aggressively sought was never really far away.Singleholic bubbles with the best of pop culture – speed and internet dating, multicultural trysts, and of course, “female empowerment.” It’s an intriguing mix that packs a hypnotic punch.Feedback: [email protected]Follow me on [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 11:48 , Processed in 0.068020 second(s), 26 queries .