4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-9-17 17:43:41 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Sunita SamarooHave you ever wondered what this season is like for street children, orphans, the homeless or hungry? What does a ‘traditional Christmas’ really mean to people who can’t afford it? Throughout the season every known publication carry stories of people who benefit from the benevolence of a number of organizations. Seldom do we think of those behind the scenes who really ‘make’ Christmas for these people.“Saving Santa”Though their efforts may go unnoticed, there are many who sacrifice numerous hours and place a lot of effort into making Christmas enjoyable for the less fortunate.Being a volunteer is nothing new to me and I can tell you that Christmas is the highlight of any voluntary group’s life. Whether the group is active or inactive, Christmas is always a jolt in everyone’s strides; a reminder that it is once again time to help humanity. At least that’s how it has been for my colleagues and I who have been in the Rotaract Club for years.While most people anxiously anticipate December 25, ‘Christmas’ for us is any day in December when we organise massive parties and events for hundreds of children. The Christmas season is “peak time” for any volunteer.If there is one thing that a volunteer couldn’t care less about;   it’s definitely recognition. There is just something “inside” us that carries out social tasks because we like seeing other people happy.Joy is that moment when a child unwraps a gift or rushes to see Santa Claus, who most times would just be one of us decked in a suit.I can safely say that some of the best Christmases of my life were spent with persons that would under normal circumstances be considered ‘strangers’ to me. While most young people are around Christmas time out there partying and having a grand time, doing the “yolo,” “solo,” “bogo” or whatever, my friends and I have redefined “fun” by equating it to putting smiles on the faces of others.From September our minds are geared towards the season. My friends and I from the Rotaract Club of New Amsterdam would start planning so that we can execute projects which aim to remind children that Christmas does exist, that there is much more to life than the environment they are surrounded by, and that hope, love and peace are not just myths.To try to measure the love we feel for any of those children would be simply impossible. There are many times my friends and I become frustrated; there are times we just want to give up. Sometimes we look at the money we have solicited and think, would this project even happen? While our blood pressures rise, we would ponder if Christmas is really going to be pulled off for these kids?However, that’s when the resilience kicks in and we tell ourselves  “Hey, get your head in the game. These kids are depending on you,” and we keep going. When we encounter speed bumps and road blocks, we find ways over them because we believe that ‘Christmas not Christmas’ unless you are helping someone  else.Planning a project is never easy and I really do mean never!  There are certain things we would score A’s for. One of the first A’s we would receive would be from our parents who believe that we have mastered the art of turning their homes into meeting and organizing hubs.I can recall the meeting times which grew longer and longer as the time drew closer to the season. And I can’t forget the frequencies; sometimes it felt like a ‘pinky and brain affair’, just sitting there plotting your next move, except it wasn’t the world that you wanted to take over, just Christmas for the less fortunate.The first tries are always the toughest and as a fairly young club, I can safely say that every year it has become an upward movement. As you help more people, you realize there is still more to do as there is just no limit to the needs.Planning and executing, is no walk in the park.  These include venue props, activities, accommodation, snacks and toys, toys, and more toys. What would all children like? That is the major question popping in all of our heads. Trust me when I say that we don’t even have time to fuss over our nails, hair, clothes or parties as most other teenagers do during this season.So for years, my friends and I have ventured into communities feared by many,Wholesale Jerseys China, met people we wouldn’t have otherwise met and have never failed to remember that the joy of Christmas is for everyone. To the annoyance of all our families and loved ones who also wanted our time, we work tirelessly towards achieving this.After stressing and worrying whether things would turn out “just fine,” when we are ‘on the ball,’ we acknowledge that even though we’re no Saint Nicholas, for one day, or just for a few hours, we plant the seed of hope, that someday maybe can spring into something fruitful.For a few hours we transport scores of children to a place where they feel it is not only ‘ok’ but thoroughly safe to be children and we get the golden opportunity of seeing eyes sparkle. Those are the moments I wouldn’t trade for the world.Christmas for me has been ‘nothing’ before I learnt what giving truly meant. To be honest, having received gifts, treats, well wishes and hopes from all who knew me means nothing in comparison. I wouldn’t dare deny that its nice being remembered during the season but nothing compares to knowing that you have been there for someone who needed you.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-6-7 12:13 , Processed in 0.044309 second(s), 28 queries .