4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-9-18 23:45:20 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph SeeramThis last election has left this nation more divided than ever. Some would like to disagree, but fact are facts, and in as much the APNU/AFC coalition touted UNITY as part of its election campaign, the results tell us we have not progressed any further than we were 50 years ago.Yes, I am talking 50 yrs ago and will to some extent support the argument. Those of us who have been following social media know the racial epithets that were hurled at each other by the major races in Guyana. The election campaign itself was filled with racial tensions.Despite the APNU/AFC appeal for unity, the elections results tell a different story. In fact it was basically status quo for both parties, drawing about the same percentage of votes giving a percentage here or there.I spoke last week of the fear some Indians expressed under the Coalition, some going back to the PNC days.Of note, the President seems aware of this challenge he faces, and assured very early that he is President of ALL Guyanese.So this week I came across a song that made me reflect about race relations, I will share it with our new President David Granger and you my readers. It’s called “A Guyanese Laments” or Tain Public Road. I will let you know the singer after. Here we go.Tain public road the beginning.There in the lorry they come. Out of the darkness is pelted.Out of the darkness the Bomb, Negros and Indian screaming,Onto the road thy fell, Is this the only way.Races will joined today, Joined in barbarous death,Gunraj and MunroeOh land in agony, When will our hatred end,And race with race will gather as friends.Anyway hatred is sown,Violence will grow and spread,First Alice crushed on the roadway, and Garner cut down and dead,Now meaningless all around us, From Buxton to Wismar men died,So many lives we see, Wasted in tragedy,Wholesale China Jerseys,See how our hatred destroys, destroys Guyana.Our land in agony, When will our hatred end,And race with race work together as friends,God knows there must be struggles, even if no one man isn’t free,Where only the rich can find justice, and poor man live in misery,But murder by night isn’t justice, Burning set no man free,Justice can never be built on brutality, Violence and corrupt destroys,Destroys Guyana, our land in agony,How can our hatred end, and race with race get together as friends,First we must learn to be brothers, Each by himself face to face,Not to call men by their color, Not to judge men by their race,Not beating and burning the good men, for evil other men do,Then can we start to be, building our destiny,Building our justice with love, In our Guyana,Our land strong and free,When will our hatred end,And race with race work together again.It was composed and sung by Nesbit Changur in 1964 during the dark days of the race riots. Yes that song appealing for racial unity was made 50 years. Do you think it is relevant today? Think Sophia burning and looting; think Crum-Ewing and the list can go on.If you think it is still relevant, then its an admission that we as nation have not made significant progress in race relations.That is the major challenge for you, President David Granger, as you embark on your new journey.I must say some of the concerned Indians who heard your swearing in speech were impressed and felt a little more secure. They felt that given that you are a man of God, you should be given a chance to unify the nation.Those are just a few converts. You have a nation that materially did not change in 50 years. You have only five years to do it.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email [email protected] and Facebook.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 21:33 , Processed in 0.076011 second(s), 28 queries .