4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-9-21 12:09:36 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
鈥淢y plan is not just to have students from the United States come to Guyana, but to create a programme where聽students from Guyana and the Caribbean can volunteer to travel elsewhere to help others, because the need is everywhere.鈥滲y Rehanna RamsayHolding firm to the philosophy of never forgetting from whence she came,Jerseys Cheap NFL,聽this week鈥檚 special personOnica Alicia Charlesis young, vivacious,聽聽accomplished, ambitious and very giving of her time, talent and resources to those in need.At just 31 years old, Onica Charles, an overseas鈥揵ased Guyanese, is in a nutshell, a humanitarian.In just a few short years, after migrating to the United States, Charles landed her dream job in government and soon became the Founder and Director of International Children鈥檚 Outreach (ICO), a registered non-profit organisation in the US.But her efforts to improve the lives of others did not stop there, with persons like Oprah Winfrey and her parents, Amanda Kumar and Augustus Charles, as her inspiration, the young philanthropist also founded the Little Masters Academy, a private school in the United States, which caters to children in the lower socio-economic areas.Charles has not merely travelled the Caribbean and the wider globe, volunteering her time and effort towards improving the lives of others, particularly those in need. She seeks to inspire others to do the same.EARLY CHILDHOOD AND EDUCATIONBorn on September 3, 1983, Onica Alicia Charles spent her early childhood in the village of Craig, East Bank Demerara, (EBD).聽She recalled that her upbringing was humble and simple but served as the perfect foundation for all that she has accomplished today.Students of Charles鈥� Little Masters Academy at a recent graduationWhile growing up, Charles said that her parents were very hardworking and dedicated to ensuring and she and her brother Leyland had a better life.鈥淚 had a simple childhood, which involved going to school and to church, and being involved in youth Ministry. My parents took education very seriously,鈥� she reflected.Charles attended Grove Primary School and Anglican Primary in St Lucia, as she resided there with her paternal grandmother for a few years.She subsequently attended St Joseph High School.聽However, the experience at that institution was short-lived as she migrated permanently to the United States one day before her 13th birthday.Describing the transition period from Guyana to her new home in Miami, Florida, Charles related that the ethnic division, culture and way of life in Guyana were nothing compared to what she would initially experience in her adopted homeland.鈥淚t was a huge culture shock for me. In Miami, we lived in a predominately white neighborhood and my brother and I attended a basically all-White school. We did settle in eventually.鈥滱t Gold Coast Christian School, Charles got the academic experience that paved the way for her future scholastic accomplishments.聽聽She was accepted into college at 16.Onica poses with a student at an ICO back-to-school event held in GuyanaShe explained that because of her age, her parents thought it was in her best interest to attend a school close to home. She attended Broward Community College.Charles completed her tenure at Broward Community College in two years and transferred to Florida International University (FIU).聽While at FIU, Charles studied International Relations and dreamt of a career as a Diplomat.鈥淚 wanted to be Foreign Service Officer. I wanted to be able to travel, and work with the government,鈥� Charles said of her fascination for travel and absorbing different cultures.FOCUS SHIFTEDIt was while in college, Charles said that her focus shifted. At FIU, she loved to volunteer and became involved in student clubs and projects. The alternative breaks programme, gave her niche, she to do what she does best – travel, interact with different cultures and help thoseA group of ICO volunteers hard at workin need.鈥淢y first trip was to Monte Cristi, Dominican Republic, which was like right on the border with Haiti and we worked at an orphanage there. It was a great way to meet people and interact鈥hen we went to Jamaica the following聽summer and we helped to build a clinic there.鈥漈he experience impacted Charles鈥� outlook on life, changed her course essentially, and inspired the idea for her own volunteer outreach programme, ICO.聽聽Charles said that it was the pressing desire to give back and to do more community work that birthed the organisation.At that time, she did not have the finances to get the work started 鈥淚 would take sandwiches and boxes of juice, and go out on the streets and share to those in need. It would cost less than $20.鈥滱s she continued with such efforts, the ambitious youth earned a BSC in International Relations with a focus on Asian Studies, Sociology and Anthropology, and later acquired a Masters Degree in Public Administration from Nova Southeastern University.Some of the volunteers take time off to enjoy a photo op.Although efforts to fulfill her career and academic goals occupied most of her time, Charles said that she never gave up on her philanthropic ambitions.After completing her studies, she worked to get the idea for the organisation off the ground.鈥淚 had no idea, what I was doing, but I went online and did my research,鈥� she saidBy this time she was a budding 25-year-old career woman, who had her first internship in the suburban city聽of Miami Gardens. She thereafter acquired a job in Sunrise, Florida.Speaking about her work in government, Charles said 鈥淚 was actually the youngest black woman to be hired as a management person at the City and I was actually the first intern to ever get hired permanently.鈥滺ER OWN PRIVATE SCHOOLAfter a few years of working with the City, Charles established her very own private school, the Little Masters Academy.The establishment, which is located in Fort Lauderdale and Miami, caters for persons from the lower socio-economic environment. She said that she wanted to able to give children in the inner city the opportunity and strong academic foundation that she received as a child.Charles said that in just four years the school has evolved, with over 300 children in attendance.鈥淲e just try to give them a rounded education. Besides the regular school work, we do pilates, yoga, dance, and karate. We also have tutoring for the older kids.鈥漈he school is under the supervision of her younger brother.鈥淲ithout my brother I don鈥檛 think any of this would be possible. He鈥檚 the Chief Operating Officer and he鈥檚 really hands-on. He knows the children by name – their parents and grandparents鈥� he鈥檚 just been doing a really great job.鈥滷or some time, the young entrepreneur juggled working at the city, overseeing the operations at the school and managing the Alternative Breaks Programme with ICO.鈥淚 would use my vacation periods to host the college students and we would go to Jamaica, Guyana or St Lucia and conduct community service learning projects, to assist those in need.鈥滾ooking back, she credits her work ethic and sense of independence to her mother, whom she said worked tirelessly and sacrificed to maintain the household, run a shop and ensure that she and her brother were taken care of, while their father was at work, overseas.DEFINING MOMENTBut there was that defining moment. Charles said that she saw persons waiting for retirement to start living their lives and she decided that she didn鈥檛 want to be like that.鈥漇o with 鈥渏ust a little faith and a drive to help others鈥�, Charles said that she decided to quit her job at the City to focus on her work in Philanthropy.鈥淓verybody thought I was crazy to give up a job in corporate America. Almost everyone, who knew me tried to convince me to keep my job.聽They were like, 鈥榶ou have security and an entire retirement package to look forward to, and you鈥檙e going to give all that up?鈥欌�滲ut the young philanthropist was unfazed by this prospect. After eight years of working in government, she resigned last November to follow her passion.Since then, the ICO founder has hosted thousands of college students from across the United States; FIU,聽聽University of California, University of Michigan, University of Miami, just to name a few.ICO volunteers have since used their 鈥淎lternative Breaks鈥�, to move away from the usual party atmosphere during the summer and spring time and travelled to various parts of the world to conduct outreaches which will benefit children.Charles said that it is through her humanitarian efforts that she has been afforded the opportunity to meet people she never thought possible.鈥淭hose persons came into my life for one reason or another and I owe all that I have to God and to my beliefs.鈥滺er organisation primarily functions through fund-raising ventures and generous donations from private individuals and companies.鈥淧eople donate money and other resources including books, other useful items that we can give to families,鈥� she explained.ICO volunteers have conducted outreach work in Jamaica, Miami, south Florida, Guyana, the Dominican Republican, and throughout the Caribbean, South America and South Africa. As she plans to expand her outreach, Charles remains focused for now on the Caribbean, Africa, and South America.鈥淢y plan is not just to have students from the United States come to Guyana, but to create a programme, where聽students from Guyana and the Caribbean can volunteer and be exposed through ICO.聽That, through ICO, they would get the opportunity to be able to travel the Caribbean and even to the United States to help others, because the need is everywhere.鈥漀OT ALL WORK AND NO PLAYBut it鈥檚 not all work and no play.聽When she鈥檚 not engrossed in volunteer work or working at her school, Charles travels extensively and indulges in a host of outdoor activities. She enjoys kayaking, hiking and like most young women, shopping.Given her hectic schedule, Charles noted that she had to learn to take time off for herself.鈥淚 started with four hours. I would turn off my phones, computers and just zone out 鈥� I would take mini vacations to just clear my thoughts and recoup.鈥滳harles is currently constructing a Children Aid Centre at Craig Village on the East Bank. She counts it an honour to be able to give back to the community in which she grew up.Every year she hosts a back-to-school event in Guyana where donations are made to hundreds of children.Charles believes that American writer, Frederick Douglass, said it best when he opined 鈥業t is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men鈥�.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 17:05 , Processed in 0.061363 second(s), 26 queries .