4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-9-28 12:52:44 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Asks Michael Benjamin The recent upsurge in letters to the editor by graduates of the University of Guyana bemoaning the absence of adequate jobs has once again triggered a heated debate and provoked many arguments of the wisdom and advantages, if any, of procuring tertiary education.One wonders, also, of the results of a head to head combat between an academic and so called ‘Road Man’ who may have acquired his education in the school of hard knocks yet has more disposable funds than the academic who is supposed to be brilliant and innovative.I immediately remember the two men who were job hunting and ended up at a carpentry firm. One had obtained a degree from a prestigious University while the other claimed to have perfected the art while observing seasoned carpenters at work.After conducting numerous interviews and undergoing an elimination process,Authentic China NFL Jerseys, the Human Resource Officer (HRO) could not make up his mind which of the two was most suitable for the job. He decided to carry out an unconventional test and suggested that both aspirants provide an estimate for a paneled door.Two days later only one estimate had reached his desk. He perused it and noted that it was a well detailed projection of the job by the university trained carpenter. However, try as he might the HRO could not make head or tail of the document which was written using high flown, technical terms.He decided to call up the other aspirant to determine whether he had lost interest in the job. “Nah man!” the aspirant replied “I still interested but me nah gat de skill for write up no fancy document.”“So how am I to know the amount of material and cost that I am required to accrue to complete the job?” asked the HRO. “Well me nah know bout estimate but I could look at dah ting and tell ya dat yo need bout three arms length of four by four wood plus lil bit groove and tongue plus a handful oh nails ——.” The second man got the job.Many moons ago, sports editor of the Stabroek News, Donald Duff, recognising my writing propensity and skill, advised that I submit an article for perusal by the late David DeCaires. I reluctantly acquiesced to his suggestion despite my inexperience in journalism.Mr. DeCaires examined my work and passed it over to another editor whose name I fail to remember at this point. That editor was impressed by my handiwork, made a few adjustments to the article and went one step further. He suggested that I write an article for Saturday publication. He then dubbed the feature “Michael Benjamin’s Knockout Punch.” This was the introduction to what has now become a career job for me so far.All this time I observed graduates from the University of Guyana bemoaning the absence of jobs while I, despite being adept at writing interesting articles, was devoid of the requisite qualifications.On the contrary, there were those that possessed the requisite qualifications yet could not clinch a job.Mind you, all this time I was battling in the square jungle with the false belief that I had discovered my standing in life; that boxing and the benefits accruing from participation would have solidified my life and future.One day, the Deputy Registrar of the University of Guyana suggested that I acquire tertiary education since he felt that despite my obvious writing skill I still needed some brushing up. My inexperience did not permit me to juxtapose tertiary accomplishments with my future endeavours. I’ve got it made with my boxing skill and now my obvious writing talent.Nevertheless, I discussed the issue with a few elders in whom I had great respect. They all supported Mr. Vincent Alexander’s rationale. One year later, I enrolled to read for a Diploma in Public Communications at the UG.I entered that institution with a ‘cast in stone’ perspective and three years later, after earning my Diploma, I had developed a totally different outlook. It was not about the high flown jobs or the grandiose positions; I felt a sense of accomplishment and honestly felt that my mind had been stretched.Once an individual allows his mind to be stretched, there are no boundaries to what he/she could accomplish.Ever since enrolling at UG, I have engaged in many academic pursuits. I have studied Spanish and Portuguese, procuring a working knowledge of the latter while expanding my interest to a high degree in the former subject. I have pursued a computer course in Introduction to Windows at the I Learn Institute along with a few other academic ventures.Recently, I managed to acquire a Degree in Public Communications and while I experience a great sense of accomplishment I cannot help but notice the vast numbers that have been churned out of the system, some with more prestigious accolades, yet unable to clinch that dream job that they have envisaged acquiring after completing their studies.Does this mean that the acquisition of a University education is a waste of time?Shortly after my accomplishment I broke the news to my boss, Mr. Glenn Lall. He looked at me and asked, “Now what?” The question caught me by surprise since I am still cogitating on my next move.“Why do you believe that you have to acquire a degree or any other academic accolades to function in this world?” was his next question. Once again I was lost for an answer. After a while I replied in question form, “Would you feel more comfortable with someone with tertiary accomplishments on your staff or would you choose another without such requisite experience and accomplishments?”The answer is still forthcoming but I have this sneaking suspicion that I might have made a point.My take on the issue is simple. I learnt the intricacies of journalism through trial and error. A tertiary education merely applied the finishing touches. I dare say that the quality of my work would have been enhanced through my participation in discussions during lectures and tutorials at the UG.While I believe that there are others who will choose other avenues and routes to inherit riches devoid of tertiary education, I also believe that it is a man’s duty to enhance the quality of his life by breaking new grounds and pursuing new goals.Yes, he may be able to do this devoid of tertiary level education but in the final analysis we will have to conform to the changing world order which decries brawn and upholds brains. Hard knocks and street smart will not be sufficient to lift you from the degradation of ignorance and depravity.The multitude of graduates that have fulfilled their lifelong dreams of accomplishing a University education can rest assured that the building blocks of life is laid one at a time and the shacks and dingies of today would eventually manifest the skyscrapers of tomorrow. Then the benefits of tertiary education would become apparent.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 18:52 , Processed in 0.069596 second(s), 28 queries .