4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-9-29 15:15:06 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph Seeram“Boy Guyana looking good. I mean things have really improved. The PPP Government is doing a good job”. “Well,” I replied to my friend on the other end of the phone, “some people feel the opposite. They feel the Government has not done anything”.My friend had just returned from Guyana a few days ago after spending a little over a week.  Now I value my friend’s opinion. We have known each other for over forty years, and he visits Guyana frequently. In addition, he was a former journalist and Attorney in Guyana, worked in the legal field in the Caribbean including that of Attorney General in one of the Caribbean countries. He also writes on Caribbean affairs for a Caribbean media outlet.I have had similar views expressed by Guyanese in the Diaspora who recently visited their homeland. Of course, not all overseas based visiting Guyanese can express the same sentiments. Some we know were murdered while others had been robbed. And while these incidents no doubt deterred many Guyanese from visiting Guyana, they do not detract from the visible progress the country has made during the past years.I say visible because most opinions are formed by what visitors see during their short say. No doubt critics of the government, will say otherwise “they don’t live here they don’t know”. Critics are just that, critics, they will never see anything positive, but you know what, it is healthy to have criticism, any government must be open for criticism, and despite all this talk of lack of democracy in Guyana, the PPP government  has received its share of criticism and justifiably so, including some from this writer.In the United States, President Barack Obama is constantly being criticized for the state of the economy, a recession that just keeps hanging on, very high unemployment (by U S standards,) most of the flack coming from the Republicans who see no progress under the Obama administration.They however conveniently forgot that the economy collapsed under Republican President George Bush.When Obama came to power, millions of workers were being laid off, the housing industry had already collapsed, and major banks were bankrupt. Glaring examples– one of the world’s largest banks, Citibank, was going under. The world’s largest car manufacturer, General Motors Corporation (GMC) was going bankrupt.The largest US Brokerage House, Merrill Lynch, collapsed because of the mortgage meltdown. So did one of the world’s largest insurance companies. These companies were not only pivotal to the U S economy, but also to financial markets around the world.The Obama administration bailed out these companies as well as other companies vital to the economy (with borrowed money). Today those companies have returned to profitability and are repaying the Government. The Obama administration stopped the bleeding; the economy has stabilized in the two and a half years he has been in office.Today, to hear his critics, one would think nothing was done and he is to be blamed for the state of the US economy. It’s all in the eye of the beholder.So we return to Guyana and the debate will continue on the performance of the PPP Government. It is foolish to argue that Guyana has not progressed under the PPP Government, considering the state of the economy when it assumed power. It’s a “done deal”; the evidence is there to see.Some critics “cherry pick” isolated situations to support their arguments, but some may argue that the Jagdeo administration should be judged on the totality of its performance. I would like to see the discourse move to where the Government could have performed better, if it should have produced more with taxpayers’ dollars, where it needs to improve performance, and fiscal responsibility.Personally I have a problem with the government’s transparency and accountability, and I have stressed that in earlier columns.A few weeks ago I asked the PPP presidential candidate,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, Donald Ramotar, his views on crime and corruption in Guyana. While acknowledging the seriousness of the crime situation and some level of corruption, he also pointed out that in his view the situation is really being overblown by critics and the media.Again here it is the eyes of the beholder. While we are on the subject of Mr. Ramotar, I tried to get his views on the upcoming elections. Mr. Ramotar stressed that he is not taking the elections lightly but expressed the view that the PPP will win the elections based on its performance.My view is that the elections will be close. Internally, I think that Mr. Ramotar will have to “break bread” with the GAWU stalwarts of the PPP, Komal Chand, Navin Chandarpal etc, to get them on the campaign trail.He will need every vote he can muster if he is to be President. The problem for the PPP is that some of its disaffected supporters may stay away from the voting booth.One must not under underestimate Mr. Ramotar as some have done. He was one of the main architects of the PPP victory in the last three elections, and the man knows how to win elections. We have heard critics claim how he may be influenced by Mr. Jagdeo if he becomes President. I have my doubts about that.I feel he will chart his own course. He seems to be a compassionate person and a very good listener. But here again it is the eyes of the beholder.Yes, The PPP will be judged on its performance, and if Mr. Ramotar is going to be President, it will be up to the eyes of the beholder, the Guyanese voters.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email: [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 05:09 , Processed in 0.057441 second(s), 26 queries .