9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-10-3 13:56:41 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Hugh ‘Tommy’ PayneLet me be frank (for Josh, who was a ‘straight-up’ person, would have condoned nothing else), the “Swami”, as Joshua Reuben Ramsammy was nicknamed by QC students,Wholesale China Jerseys, seemed to be aptly identified.His personality combined austerity with an aloofness that made any would-be miscreant apprehensive; and his practice of peering through classroom windows from the corridor outside brought a touch of mysteriousness that stimulated a fearful respect.Dr Ramsammy’s two sons (with dark glasses) in front of the funeral pyreThen came the fateful Speech Day that saw apprehension replaced by adulation,Jerseys Cheap NFL, as austerity, aloofness and mysteriousness were embellished by a revolutionary action when ‘Swami’ broke tradition and discarded suit and tie for an elegantly tailored, white Bush-jacket worn over dark trousers.It was a bold fashion statement that preceded, and may well have influenced, the post-Independence adoption of the ‘Shirt-jac’ as the accepted formal wear.  From that time until he left Q.C. in 1961, the apprehension of the schoolboys was attenuated by a fond (though guarded) hero-worship for ‘Swami’ – the master who had boldly defied tradition.Josh Ramsammy left QC to take up the post of Principal of Tagore Memorial High School (No. 63 Village, Corentyne, Berbice) at the start of the 1961- 62 school year.I went with him,NFL Jerseys China Cheap, recruited as an Assistant-Master, as was Rupert Gobin — a now-deceased form mate.  Whatever doubts I held about the wisdom of my decision were swiftly dispelled.My form of address — “Sir” or “Mr. Ramsammy” — was, on his prompting, replaced by “Josh,” and Josh Ramsammy extended a warm friendship that totally overturned my schooldays premise of ‘aloofness’.Josh was the guardian who, conscious of the potential problems that might beset a ‘Buxton-boy’ in the post-1961 Elections Upper Corentyne, opened his home to me as a safe haven.  Josh was the mentor who led me into discussion, on an equal footing, on a wide range of subjects that included his aspirations for ‘Tagore Memorial’ and strategies for dealing with our country’s ethnic problems.His mentorship also included aiding my preparation for overseas study; he supervised my initiation into the ‘nip-and-a-pint’ ceremony; he regaled me with tales of student life that included the hazard of a two-day sleep after a particularly heavy binge.Above all, Josh proved an inspiration through his capacity for hard work, his attention to detail, and his genuine concern for benefiting the students, the staff, the environment and the wider society that fell under his purview as the Principal of Tagore Memorial High School.The “Swami” truly extolled Rabindranath Tagore’s well-known statement (which was the School Prayer) – “Where the mind is without fear; Where knowledge is free; Where the world has not been broken into segments by narrow domestic walls; Where words speak out from the depth of truth; Where the world is led by thee into ever widening thought and action; Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my spirit awake.”I, for one,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, am confident — as we should all be — that “the Swami”, Joshua Reuben Ramsammy,Cheap China Jerseys, has gone, finally, to “that heaven of freedom” which he has richly earned.  HE WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.Joshua Reuben Ramsammy was cremated yesterday at Good Hope crematorium, following a viewing and tributes at his residence, Ogle Old Road,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, East Coast Demerara.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 22:38 , Processed in 0.060182 second(s), 26 queries .