1萬

帖子

4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
發表於 2017-10-11 17:41:07 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
A major controversy is brewing and is threatening to get out of hand as residents of a section of Bachelor’s Adventure, East Coast Demerara, prepare to protest the continued rearing of poultry by former Police Commissioner, Laurie Lewis, a situation they claim is posing a severe threat to their health.The residents claimed that for the past 12 years they have had to endure smoke inhalation and the obnoxious stench emanating from Lewis’s poultry farm and despite repeated appeals to the authorities nothing is being done about it.A concerned resident erected this sign to highlight the plight of the residentsBut Lewis is maintaining that his poultry rearing has been approved by the Neighbourhood Democratic Council as well as by the environmental protection agency, which has been working closely with him to ensure that his activity does not pose a health hazard to the surrounding residents.Cecil Skeete, one of the most vociferous of the concerned residents, told this newspaper that he has been living on the Bachelor’s Adventure Public Road immediately in front of Lewis for the past 30 years. He said that for the past 12 years he and his family have suffered as a result of the chicken rearing activities.“Since Mr. Laurie Lewis came here, since this man put up this pen, I wrote everybody you could think about. The NDC, I tried them many times but nothing has been done,” Skeete told Kaieteur News.He said that on many occasions he was forced to endure smoke from Lewis’s chicken farm and other occasions he has had to spray his house to prevent whatever gas is in the air as a result of the farming activities.“The first week (of chicken rearing) they light some half drums with sawdust whole night and you know what smoke would do. It would come into your house so sometimes it is whole week we are trapped in smoke. You get a two-week break and then in the latter part, is a stench,” Skeete explained.He pointed out that since ammonia, the gas which is produced from the chicken rearing activity, is colourless, it is very difficult to detect and as such his family and other residents have been inhaling the substance over the years.“I brought the public health inspector and she went and saw the smoke and she come over back and tell me that she did not see anything. How can you see something like ammonia in the air? Imagine my two last children have to grow up in this thing, they always coughing. Way down the line this could affect our health. How long our lungs can take this?” Skeete told Kaieteur News.According to Skeete, the regional chairman had set up a committee to look into the complaints of residents.The committee he said reported that the stench emanating from the chicken farm cannot be eliminated as long as the activity continues.He explained that his entire family has developed skin rashes and after expending a significant sum of money on medication he has now resorted to using traditional local treatment.Skeete admitted that since he and other residents have been in the situation he has never approached Lewis directly on the issue.He said that while other residents are affected, they are afraid to speak out because of the status of the person they are dealing with.For his part, the former Police Commissioner believes that Skeete’s problem stems from the legal fees Skeete was faced with concerning the land he presently occupies.According to Lewis, when he acquired the land on which resides, it had encompassed the plot of land where Skeete is situated.However, Lewis said that he agreed to forego the plot that Skeete and some other residents occupy but insisted that they pay the legal fees to have the matter rectified.“That was the first thing that caused the story because he had to pay money. I never mind 26,000 chickens yet. I minding maximum 500; I have nine goats,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, four sheep, about less than 20 pigs and a couple of ducks, so I don’t know what he’s talking about,” Lewis told this newspaper.In fact it is Lewis’s son, Leyland, who operates a medium scale chicken farm on the Bachelor’s Adventure premises.According to Leyland Lewis, he is cognizant of the effects of his activity but he has been constantly engaging the Environmental Protection Agency on a regular basis to ensure that he is operating within the guidelines set.He admitted that in the initial stage of rearing a brood of chickens, one has to carry out the necessary procedure and this will cause some amount of inconvenience.However, he said that EPA officials have been closely monitoring his activity and have given him the necessary green light to operate.Leyland Lewis said that he has been taking steps to alleviate the slight inconvenience that is being caused, including planting trees that could absorb some of the ammonia that is produced by his chicken farm.Laurie Lewis informed that since the feud started, he has been receiving threats and has had to put measures in place to protect his family.“He was saying that he will do damage. He threatened to do all sorts of things when I retire. So I had to be very careful with my children, my wife and now my grandchild. I can tell you I had concerns,” the former Top Cop told this newspaper.Skeete and some other residents plan to stage a picketing exercise at the upcoming meeting of the Regional Democratic Council scheduled for some time this week.This newspaper also understands that Skeete has written to a company which is supplied chicken by Lewis and is contemplating seeking compensation for his plight.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 20:23 , Processed in 0.112692 second(s), 25 queries .