1萬

帖子

4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
發表於 2017-10-20 06:03:10 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph SeeramIt seems as if the PPP government cannot get rid of controversy. In fact, it seemed to invite the problem, results of which clearly damages it credibility. It was not a good week for the PPP government public relations wise, and I don’t know if the PPP leaders want to believe this, but these issues will have a negative impact for the PPP come next elections.I am talking about CNS Channel 6 and Mr. Chandra Narine Sharma’s claim of pressure from “relevant authorities” to drop programmes critical of the government, the ongoing back and forth accusations of the $223 million computer contract and what I perceive to be an intimidating tactic of calling in law enforcement during a press conference dealing with the same computer issue.The Sharma issue goes to the very heart of a democracy, free speech and freedom of the press. It would be very foolish of the present government to intimidate or silence its critics. In fact, in this day and age it would be downright stupidity,NFL Jerseys Outlet From China, so who’s lying and who is telling the truth?Mr. Sharma is on record as saying he dropped the programme “Keeping them Honest” because of discussions he had with “relevant authorities”, and for “regulatory reasons”. He said that he could not run the programme any more. Later in the week he stated that he will be a “yes man”, indicating that he would do anything to save his station.Those statements make it appear as if the government is trying to muzzle the press. “Do what I say or I will close you down”– that is essentially what Sharma is implying. One has to examine whether there is truth in what he says or whether it is self serving.I made it a point to listen to Mr. Sharma on Benschop internet radio earlier this week to hear “first hand” his take of the situation,Nike Jerseys Wholesale Store, and from his many statements he did not sound like someone who is being intimidated. On the contrary, he went on the attack against the government.Mentally, I was trying to reconcile his two positions to make sense of the situation. Adding to the mix,Hank Aaron Braves Throwback Jersey, the PPP Government came out with a statement denying the allegations of the CNS6 owner.“The Office of the President reiterates that at no time did any Government official approach CNS Channel 6, and further implies that Mr. Sharma is trying to ‘curry favour’ with authorities because of ongoing issues.”One must note that in addition to regulatory issues relating to his broadcasting licence Mr. Sharma also has criminal matters pending before the court. If,Cheap Air Max 2018, as the government infers, that Sharma is engaging in self censorship in order to gain “favour” of the government, why would one do this if there is threat over him.On the other hand  if there is no threat then is CNS boss engaging in self censorship hoping for a favourable decision from President Jagdeo on his broadcast license? I think the President himself needs to come out and state clearly and unequivocally that no one pressured Mr. Sharma.The president should then invite Sharma to name those “regulatory authorities”. Sharma in turn should comply, get it all out in the open; let’s see who is lying. This issue goes directly to the credibility of President Bharrat Jagdeo’s public statements about defending the right of the press to criticize the government and he needs to clear the air on this.Next, we have this  ongoing dispute with the Ministry of Education and Kaieteur News over the $223 million contract that was awarded to Digital Technologies. The PPP Government has opened itself repeatedly to criticisms on the way it has been handing out contracts.The Government has been hiding behind statements like “the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board is the authority responsible for the award and valuation of contracts etc. etc. That is the formal process, but come on,Cheap Jerseys From China, every one knows that there is the informal process also, the “back room deals”.I mean that it is no secret; every “rum shop drinker” can tell you that,Cheap Jerseys China, and I mean that literally. Last year I was sitting in a rum shop in Canje enjoying some “wild meat”. Fellow drinkers were pointing out to me some of the  area contractors and the con job they have been doing with taxpayers’ money.Isn’t there a major contract that the government has awarded without eliciting controversy?  Kaieteur News has “poked so many holes” in the Government explanation of the award of the $223million contract, and this is not the first time either. Here again somebody is not telling the truth. What we are getting are half truths from the administration.Let me be frank; Guyana does not have a monopoly on corruption; it is here in the United States. The problem is here you get caught and you go to jail. There are still former congressmen, mayors and other public officials sitting in prison here in the U S, for corruption.Recently a former Orlando City Council member who once acted as mayor of Orlando was released after having served over two years in prison. His crime? He was caught on tape telling a contractor that he (contractor) will have to donate to his charity organization before he votes for his contract. Remember he did not ask for money to enrich himself, he solicited it for a charity but he ended up in prison. In some ways the corruption is legitimized here with “lobbyists” who are paid to influence decisions by government officials and those who sit in regulatory bodies.What bothers me is that some of those in government feel that they should not be questioned about how taxpayers’ money should be spent.  Taxpayers have every right to question how their hard earned tax dollars are spent. If you don’t like it, resign; get another job.On the heels of all the acrimony involving the $223 million contract comes the press conference summoned by the Office of the President where a Presidential Guard was called in for what could be viewed as intimidation.I am wondering why is the President holding on to that embarrassment for an Information Liaison Officer,Cheap China Jerseys, Kwame Mc Coy. This man is a total liability to the President and the country. Regardless of how aggressive a reporter is, sitting and asking tough questions hardly rises to the level that necessitates law enforcement.Now don’t get me wrong, I am not endorsing rude behaviour by reporters. My feelings are if you do not respect a Government Minister you ought to respect his office. Both sides presented their version of the events to the public. My experience as a former reporter was that being rude and disrespectful was not going to get you the news story; it closes the door.My suggestion to young reporter Neil Marks is to reexamine his approach, civility and showing respect will yield better results. Get people to respect you and you will be surprised at how much they will open up to you. At least that has been my experience.One reader sent me this  biblical  quote after reading my last article. It actually is one of my favourite passages in the bible, “Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like him”, Proverbs 26.4,  to which I add the old saying debating a fool is like throwing pearls to swine. See you next week.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email: [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 07:52 , Processed in 0.087816 second(s), 23 queries .