4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-11-3 03:48:51 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Survivors recount ordeal at sea“I watched as waves snatched my sister, friend”, Sherry Ann Haynes“After I reached to shore, I feel so happy I found the energy to run for help”, Leslie Owen AustinThe relatives of Henry Gonsalves, who is still missing following last Friday’s boat mishap in the Corentyne River which has so far claimed the lives of five, are still hoping for the best.Their hopes were heightened yesterday after Sherry Ann Haynes, a visiting nurse from the USA, who was also a passenger on the ill-fated boat, was found alive.She managed to stay alive by clinging onto a sealed bucket,Wholesale China Jerseys, and floated ashore early yesterday morning near Number 68 Village, after more than a day in the treacherous waters of the Corentyne River.The body of another victim, boat owner Roy Ramdass, also floated ashore yesterday.The search continues for Henry Gonsalves, who it was said may have been rescued by a Surinamese registered boat after Haynes reported that she had last seen him alive on a sand bank along with another stranded boat passenger.Kaieteur News reporter Dale Andrews speaking with Emo Bharat, brother of boat captain Roy Ramdass, outside the Skeldon Hospital mortuaryHaynes was not in a condition to speak with reporters yesterday, but she did relate to relatives her harrowing ordeal, which has taken a significant toll on her physical condition.According to the woman’s relatives, after the boat went down,Wholesale NFL Jerseys 2018, Sherry Haynes, her sister Sheila, and friend Ena Hope were all huddled together, and although they were all reportedly wearing life jackets, they continued to clutch onto life saving objects.The woman reported that they were hugging each other, sharing whatever means they had to stay afloat,but the high waves began to take their toll on the women’s resolve.After a while, Sheila Gonsalves gave Sherry her handbag, saying that she was taking in water and she could not make it anymore.Gonsalves eventually disappeared.Sherry and her friend Ena Hope continued to cling for dear life onto a bucket.Eventually, Sherry said,cheap nfl jerseys elite, she lost consciousness, and when she awoke she was alone, as Ena Hope had also disappeared.She, however, managed to float further inland, and landed on a sand bank, where she reportedly was joined by her brother Henry Gonsalves.“He was alone… he was next to me,” she told relatives.Kaieteur News understands that the woman again lost consciousness, and when she came to again, as the tide rose, her brother, too, was missing.Her ordeal was still not over, but she refused to give up.The desperate woman floated until she reached a mudflat, but by then she was so weak that she again collapsed.When she awoke early yesterday morning,China Jerseys, she realized that she had reached ashore when she saw some cows being led out to a nearby pasture.She managed to call out to the persons handling the cows, who immediately came to her rescue, having been aware of the tragedy.The survivor was given a fresh set of clothing, some food and a much needed shower, after which her relatives were contacted.According to a male family friend, when he went to collect Sherry, she told him that her brother Henry was alive, since she had last seen him on the sand bank.“She told me, ‘Please get something and go for him’. I went and informed the coast guard, and other relatives came and they got gasoline and a boat and went in search of the missing man,” the family friend related.However, up to press time, Henry Gonsalves was still not located,Cheap Authentic Jerseys, neither has there been word from Suriname to suggest that he was rescued.For the entire day yesterday, Sherry Haynes remained in bed, recuperating from the ordeal which will live in her memory forever.She came to Guyana with her father’s ashes,Cheap Jerseys 2018, and had travelled to Suriname to visit some of her relatives.Speaking to this newspaper from his home in the USA, Keith Haynes, the survivor’s husband, said that yesterday was the happiest day of his life after the tragic news he received on Friday.“Friday was the worst day of my life. At about six o’clock (Friday), I received a call from my brother-in-law that my wife was missing. For the rest of the day it was chaos, until this morning (Sunday) when I got the good news that my wife had survived. I feel so good today!” an elated Haynes related.He said that his telephone kept ringing throughout the weekend, with anxious persons even from as far as Canada enquiring about what had happened.“That woman is a strong woman. I just spoke to her. She said that she kept thinking about her only daughter and her pet dog Studd,” Haynes added.Speaking about his sister-in-law, Shiela Gonsalves, who was one of the victims of the tragedy, Haynes said that her demise is very tragic.Another survivor, Leslie Austin, went to church yesterday to thank the Lord for saving his life.Austin, a sailor who worked with the boat owner, had told the media that he did not do enough to help the victims.Austin had swum ashore to get help, but the help never arrived in time.He said that after their vessel had capsized, another boat was passing and they tried to hail it, but the noise from the engine prevented those in that boat from hearing.Austin then decided to swim ashore for help. “After I reach ashore, I feel so happy I suddenly find de energy fuh run looking for help,” Austin said.Meanwhile, the relatives of 48-year-old Roy Ramdass are preparing to bury his rapidly decomposing remains.His body floated ashore at around 06:00 hours yesterday.His brother, Emo Bharat, told this newspaper that his brother may have succumbed because of his recent diabetic condition.He related that his brother had experienced a similar mishap two years ago while fetching logs from Suriname, but he managed to survive.According to Bharat, his brother is familiar with the channel, but because the place was dark he could not see the seine, which entangled the propeller of the boat’s engine, causing it to sink.“Another boat was scheduled to leave Suriname with the passengers, but they decided that they want to travel with Roy because he was more popular,” Bharat said.That decision proved fatal.He said that since the tragedy, travelling to Suriname by way of backtrack has almost come to a standstill.His observation was shared by another Corentyne resident, Donnette Donald, who has vowed never to go that route again.“This thing shake up the whole of Berbice. After we hear what had happened, everybody came out hoping that they (passengers) would have been found alive,” Donald told this newspaper.“I think it could have been me. I went one time to Suriname and that was when there was another (river) tragedy in which three persons died. I promised myself not to use backtrack again. I prefer to take the long way, the safe way,” she added.But other residents who frequently travel to Suriname say that there should be some regulation regarding the use of the river by both fishermen and operators.“Everybody got to make money, both fishermen and boat men. Leave a certain channel for the boat men because they are paying for a licence,Cheap Jerseys From China, too,” a resident said. He suggested that the authorities should demarcate a clear channel for the boat operators, and should prosecute fishermen who violate the demarcation.The resident suggested that the victims may have panicked in the high waves, and may have also suffered from cramps, which caused them to go down before rescue could have reached them.Post mortem examinations were done on all the bodies recovered so far, and it has been confirmed that they all died from drowning.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 00:22 , Processed in 0.066846 second(s), 26 queries .