4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-11-13 06:56:32 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Zena HenryMr. Brackett had just stepped onto the sidewalk when the singing started. The night was cold and a bit foggy, so he couldn’t understand why anyone would want to waste their time serenading passing crowds that really didn’t take note of their sounds.He wasn’t too crazy about Christmas. He frowned, and continued his journey to Waldo’s grocery store. “How could I forget the bread,” he fought with himself.  It was hustle and bustle; three days to Christmas and the streets were almost impassable.Store lights were bright. He knew the new life that the festive season brought and more than ever, this is when he regretted not moving out of the city; especially when he had to navigate between the crowds of Christmas shoppers.“Watch it,Authentic Jerseys Cheap,” a taxi driver yelled as Mr. Brackett crossed another street. It was bumper to bumper traffic and the slow moving old man vexed the frustrated driver who finally saw a chance to move his vehicle. “Awwhh shut up,” Mr. Brackett waved his cane at the driver.Young children were playing on the corner; their mothers busy with the flower vendors.  “Give to the needy this festive season,” a pretty young woman said. “Would you like to donate something sir?” she asked, bidding a Merry Christmas. Not a glance, or any sign of acknowledgement came from Mr. Brackett. So when another request went unanswered, she turned her attention to another passerby.“Good Evening,” Mr. Brackett, Waldo greeted. He knew not to say anything ‘Christmasy’ to Mr. Brackett. “How come you’re out this evening, did you forget something?” “Yes,” Mr. Brackett growled. “I forgot to buy bread.” “But why didn’t you ring, I could have had Jeffery over with it in a minute.”“I don’t need Jeffery to bring me anything. Do I look feeble?” Mr. Brackett sneered” “No Sir,” Waldo answered. “What an old grouch,” a woman at the counter whispered. Waldo smiled. He knew better than to argue with Mr. Brackett. He’d known the old man many years now. “He wasn’t always like this. Mr. Brackett lives a few blocks from here. He held the biggest Christmas party on this street. He had no children, so he and his wife would open their toy store to the neighbourhood kids. They even fed the homeless and brought Christmas cheer to the sick. But that was years ago,” Waldo sighed.“I always helped out at the parties. It was fun and fulfilling to play with the kids and helping those in need.” “I was also there when it happened.” “Mr. Brackett was gone all morning conducting business across town. I had gone over to help prepare for the kids’ party.  The man came into the store and demanded money. I froze when he promised to shoot. He pointed the gun at Mrs. Brackett. She handed over all the money and donation checks her charity had raised, but by then,Cheap Jerseys From China, Mrs. Brackett had collapsed on the floor, “  Waldo explained to the woman at the counter.“The man was out of the store. I was holding Mrs. Brackett’s hand, staring at her motionless body when Mr. Brackett walked through the door. Mrs. Brackett was buried a few days later and the old man was never the same.””He closed the store down, and retired a grumpy old soul.”Despite continually receiving a negative response, each year Waldo would ask Mr. Brackett to have dinner with his family. Once again Mr. Brackett,NFL Jerseys China, declined, paid for his bread, and left the store without a word.Waldo remembered how spirited Mr. Brackett used to be. He remembered how the old man and his wife would dress us like the Claus’s. Now, Mr. Brackett was in need of a hero. He was older now; even more bitter, and seemed to despise the season that he had dubbed, “the most wonderful time of the year.”Waldo retired regularly with Mr. Brackett on his mind. He had tried many times to substitute the pain the old man felt but was at a lost at what to do.The next day, Waldo decided to make one more attempt to invite Mr. Brackett to have Christmas dinner with his family.  Mr. Brackett’s house was colourless. Inside was dark and quiet. He sat in an armchair facing the door “Mr. Brackett,” Waldo called. He started towards Mr. Brackett. ‘I hope you’re not here to pester me about Christmas dinner again. You know how I feel about that stuff.”“The family would really like you to join us,”Waldo pleaded. “I said no. Now tend to your family and let me be.” Waldo turned to leave, guilt on his face and pain in his heart. He spun around, “I can’t. It was me,” he yelled. “I did it. I told the crook when to come and what to do. He was just supposed to collect the money and leave. I didn’t expect her to die.”“We were going to lose our home. I had gambled all our money and all we had. We would have been on the street,” Waldo related as he wept bitterly.Mr. Brackett was on his feet,NFL Jerseys Wholesale, his cane raised in retaliation, but no words came from his mouth. “Call the police if you have to. I will tell them everything,” Waldo lamented. Mr. Brackett was still struggling to get say something. He fell back to his seat and stared at the ceiling. “I don’t care what happens to me,” Waldo continued,Wholesale Authentic China Jerseys, “I can’t stand to see the pain that I’ve caused you.”The tears streamed down Mr. Brackett’s face. He gazed at Waldo kneeling before him but could only manage to whisper,Wholesale China Jerseys, “Leave.” Waldo went home and told his wife everything. In dismay and disbelief , she packed the children and headed to her mother’s home.On Christmas Day, Waldo sat alone at the dinner table with a bowl of noodles. He was ashamed and disgusted with himself. There was a knock on the door and Mr. Brackett walked in. His face was stern. He slowly walked and sat at the table. Waldo stared at Mr. Brackett with apprehension.Mr. Brackett threw his face into his palms and wailed uncontrollably,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys, then slowly reached into his pocket, staring Waldo dead in the eyes. Waldo’s heart raced, his mind was screaming, “this is it.” Mr. Brackett slowly pulled out a check. It was all the money left from the Brackett’s charity.“Thank you for closure, Mr. Brackett said. “I have walked around for so long with bitterness and hurt, but I can rest easy now, and since it’s the season for forgiving I am giving you a second chance. Just continue our legacy. Spread Christmas cheer and bring joy to those who need it most.” Waldo’s wife, who had arrived earlier with Mr. Brackett and was outside, walked in and kissed her husband. She promised to see her husband fulfill all the old man’s wishes.The old man did not live to see the next Christmas, but Waldo and his family held the biggest Christmas parties on the street each year. They helped the needy and spread Christmas cheer throughout the year. Waldo was so touched by Mr. Brackett’s genuine goodness and forgiveness that he vowed to forever let the goodwill of Christmas inspire him to show kindness of everyone he encountered.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-14 03:51 , Processed in 0.079631 second(s), 28 queries .