4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-11-21 02:47:49 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph SeeramDominating the news this week,NFL Jerseys China, is the Guyana Government’s concern over the decline in gold production, or to be more exact the decline in gold declarations. The government must know that large scale smuggling is partially responsible for the drop in declarations.Why is this a surprise? I am sure the government knew that gold smuggling has been going on. The problem is being brought to light now because it’s now hitting the Government where it hurts, “in the pocket”. Low declarations together with declining world prices for gold is robbing the country of valuable foreign currency and increasing the deficit in balance of trade.I spoke about this dependence on gold to drive the economy a year ago, so here’s a repeat of that article. I am actually taking a vacation this July 4th holiday week, hence this repeat article which is still relevant since it was revealed this week gold declarations dropped in the first six months this year compared to same period in 2014.I picked up the bottle of pepper sauce that said Guyanese Pepper Sauce and bought my brown sugar,Cheap NFL Jerseys China, (I do not use processed white sugar), I try to buy Guyanese made products, not only out of  Guyanese pride but I know that buying Guyanese made products create jobs for Guyanese while earning export dollars for the country.I would later discover to my surprise the “fine print” said Made in Trinidad. I will discover that Guyanese STYLE pepper sauce and Guyanese MADE pepper sauce are two different things. So now you go to the Caribbean groceries, you see a variety of products labeled Guyanese style, but really not made in Guyana.You have to be careful about the brown sugar which a deceptive Guyanese-owned Canadian company passed of theirs as Demerara sugar, and label it as such, but really made in Mauritius. Don’t let me even get in to those bottles of casareep labeled Pomeroon casareep made by people who probably don’t even know where Pomeroon is.However what it tells me is that there is a demand for Guyanese made products in the Diaspora not only by Guyanese but also by the wider Caribbean populace living abroad.What is disappointing is the lack of Guyanese made products on the shelves of supermarkets abroad.Part of this has to do with Guyanese manufacturers, while they were “sleeping” their counterparts in Jamaica and Trinidad were penetrating the markets in the Diaspora—from simple things like fried channa and plantain chips to sugar and rice. Guyana considered an agricultural country is being “outgunned” by their Caribbean counterparts. And I can tell you why, they simply were not ready for “prime time”.A few years ago there was an expo for Guyanese manufacturers to showcase their products, and quite a few manufacturers were there. I was then the President of the Guyanese Association here in the Orlando area, so I tried to introduce local businessmen to the Guyanese manufacturers.  Believe it or not, some of them could not give price quotes for bulk quantities, could not say what the FOB price was or what kind of shipping cost is entailed to get the product to the U S.One guy selling lumber was confused with square feet and linear feet, did not know treated wood from kiln dried wood. The only impressive Company was the Beharry Group of Companies and DDL. Today I see their product on the shelves here.So while there is a demand for value added Guyanese products in the Diaspora, what we find in Guyana is the total opposite.I read on social media this week where one overseas-based Guyanese who went back home said she was shocked when she saw a local person buying a can of “bhagee” and a can of coconut milk. Today in the US with the proliferation of Chinese goods and inferior at that,Cheap Adidas NHL Jerseys, you are seeing labels that say “proudly made in the US.”Guyanese go back to Guyana and want to drink Banks beer, the locals want foreign, the visitor wants good old Guyanese Rum, considered the best in the world and Guyanese crave foreign “liquor”.I go and want to drink things made in Guyana and I see Guyanese drinking soda made in Barbados and Trinidad and feel proud about.I find the Guyanese at home feel all things “foreign” are better; it seems as if they gain status by eating,Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping, wearing and using things “foreign”.  I saw some time ago on YouTube two local women, “busing” each other for the affection of their male lover. At one point one of the women displayed a handful of panties to her rival, holding the handful of panties in the air for all to see.  “This is from Victoria Secret”.I don’t know if wearing Victoria Secret panties gave her an advantage over her rival, but I doubt if any man looks to see the label of a woman’s panties, he is mainly concerned with getting it off.But back to the serious side, the Guyanese economy is showing signs of cracking, Guyana is experiencing Balance of Trade Deficits. I don’t care how you put it, if you spend more than you earn it catches up with you. The proliferation of foreign goods in Guyana, including cars,wholeslae cheap nfl jerseys china, is hurting the Guyanese economy already. The exchange rates are going up and will continue to go up.The Guyanese economy depended largely on gold exports, forget about the traditional three pillars, sugar rice and bauxite, it was gold that kept the economy alive, along with remittances from the Diaspora.Some will also argue that the white powder that is NOT Cassava flour,Cheap Jerseys From China, or regular flour, but baked into pastries, placed in fruits, vegetables, lumber and other ingenious methods to export is also helping to drive the economy, by laundering its proceeds into real estate construction and business.Guyana has already seen how the dependence on gold exports is risky business. Gold prices decreased to a third of its peak value in recent years. Besides being a depleting source,China Jerseys, it is subject to speculation of the world market.Forget about all this talk of the economy growing every year, the problem is that exports are not keeping up with imports, and while Guyanese are wasting valuable foreign exchange importing fresh flowers etc. the time is rapidly coming when they may have to choose between FLOWER and FLOUR.There are foreign investors willing to invest in Guyana, but the “push around” they get by the uncoordinated efforts discourages them. I was told by a source responsible for promoting trade in Guyana, that when investors go to places like Trinidad and Jamaica the process is smooth, encouraging, in Guyana it’s a NIGHTMARE running around various ministries to get required paperwork, permits etc.Yes, whether its foreign made panties, flowers or liquor, Guyanese will have to curb their foreign appetite, or pay the price, they are already paying it to buy scarce US dollars.Ralph Seeram can be reached at [email protected],com and Facebook.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-6-9 12:37 , Processed in 0.078796 second(s), 28 queries .