2萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-11-22 22:39:58 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
The Rams are rebuilding after finishing 4-12 in their 13th consecutive non-winning season, and the son of famed coach Bum Phillips has been one of the NFL's top defensive minds for decades. He spent the past two years reaching another career height with the Broncos, coordinating the dominant defense that won the Super Bowl last season and finished fourth in total defense this season.
Phillips might seem to be an unlikely partner for McVay, the youngest head coach in modern NFL history. But they have a strong family connection: Phillips' son, Wes, was the Washington Redskins' tight ends coach for the past three seasons under McVay, their offensive coordinator.
Phillips begins his 40th NFL season as a coach with the Rams, the 10th franchise to employ him. He was a head coach at Dallas, Buffalo and Denver, and he served as an interim head coach for New Orleans, Atlanta and the Houston Texans.
Phillips traditionally runs a 3-4 defense, but defensive linemen Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn and Michael Brockers all excelled in Williams' 4-3 scheme. McVay said last week that he expects Phillips to have no problem coming up with ways to maximize the success of Los Angeles' talented defensive line.
A week after 30-year-old head coach Sean McVay said the 69-year-old Phillips would be his defensive coordinator, their partnership finally was made official Thursday after Phillips signed his deal with the Rams.

Gregg Williams was Jeff Fisher's defensive coordinator last season with the Rams, who haven't made the playoffs since the 2004 season in St. Louis. Williams left for the Cleveland Browns shortly after the regular season ended with the Rams losing the final seven games in their homecoming season.
"We're looking forward to being out there with her," Phillips said. "She was so happy that we were coming, she was crying. It makes you feel good that she's excited."
"Wade has seen it all in our league, and I believe that his wealth of knowledge and experience will be a tremendous asset to our entire coaching staff and players," McVay said in a statement. "Our defense has been one of our core strengths, and I expect it to continue to grow and thrive under Wade's leadership."
Phillips and his wife also have personal reasons to be excited about a move to Southern California. Their daughter, Tracy, works in Los Angeles as a dancer and choreographer.
But Williams' defense was one of the NFL's top groups until a late-season fade, and Phillips is grateful he won't be starting from scratch.
"With Sean, between us, we're 50 years old and we've got 23 years of experience, so I think that'll work out all right," Phillips said with a laugh.
"Most of the time I'm going somewhere, the defense hasn't done well before," Phillips said. "(Los Angeles) is a different experience. I've got a good defense. ... It's a process like they always talk about, no matter where you are, of identifying the good players and the great players,Cheap Jerseys From China Outlet, and we'll utilize them."
"Wes just talked great things about him all the time," Wade Phillips said. "And then I met him, and he was very impressive. And then when he started the process, he asked me if I would consider coming with him if he got a head coaching job. I said, 'Well, I don't have a contract, so sure.'"
Phillips said he has inherited a 4-3 defense in four of his previous five jobs.
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — Wade Phillips has done just about everything in his four-decade NFL coaching career, so he wasn't exactly worried by the prospect of working for a head coach less than half his age with the Los Angeles Rams.
"And we went to the playoffs every year, so I think what we run will fit up there," Phillips said. "You know, the Broncos were running a 4-3 when we got there."
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-21 00:06 , Processed in 0.065642 second(s), 26 queries .