9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-11-24 18:56:32 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Desilon Daniels “I was there by myself…I battled my own ship while it was sinking.”For every person who commits suicide,cheap authentic jerseys, there are nearly two dozen others who would have tried and failed.Even more alarming, a suicide attempt is the strongest risk factor for suicide, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said. People who have made prior suicide attempts are at a much higher risk of committing suicide later in life.While the WHO has suggested follow-up care for people who attempted suicide along with the provision of community support,Cheap Jerseys NFL, such initiatives are lacking in Guyana.This deficiency has left survivors of suicide out in the cold and seeking the necessary help to keep them from ending their lives. One such person is Dennis Singh (name changed), 18, of Essequibo.From a young age, Dennis faced difficulties, particularly in relation to his family life.“A lot of things were not going right. My personal life was messed up and no one was there whom I could trust,” he said. He explained that his parents had separated and his mother had moved to Georgetown while his father was “never around”.Dennis lived with his older sister. He said that his depression became particularly difficult to handle as he entered his teenage years.“I had just started high school and the family problems were building up; no one was there to relieve me,” he said. “I tried to be happy. I would go to school and try to focus but as soon as things start to clear, another problem would arrive and I’m back to square one and feeling stressed out.”He said that he was constantly worried about his life and wondered each day whether anything would change.“At the same time I was trying to figure out who I was, who I was becoming, and all the personal stuff was hitting me hard. Everyone was ready to judge me and didn’t give me support so I kept to myself,” Dennis said.“It might sound like nothing to be suicidal for but trust me; who knows it they know it well.”Eventually it all became too much; he had been battling with his problems for three years and had had enough. So, at the age of 16,Jerseys Cheap China, he decided to commit suicide.“One day I couldn’t take it and this thing called suicide fly up in my head suddenly. I wanted to die just to end all the pain and suffering; I wanted to be free,” he related.With his mind made up, he made his way to the seawall. He sat there for a long time, working up the courage to jump.“All of these different thoughts were going through my head while I’m crying there. About an hour I sat there, looking at the water. I wanted to end the suffering so badly but at the same time something was telling me, ‘don’t, don’t, don’t! Think about your future.’” he said.So, he stood up and made his way home,Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping, the thought of suicide out of his mind, at least temporarily. However, he said, every time there is a problem he thinks back to his attempt.He explained that things became slightly better when he moved to Georgetown.“One thing with Essequibo is that the place is dead; nowhere you can go and chill and hang out. Another thing is that no one there wants to listen and help. I was there by myself…I battled my own ship while it was sinking.”He added that even to this day no one in his family knows that he is suicidal. “The first thing people think is you’re mad”. He said, however, things have improved with his family.But Dennis was unaware of where he could get help and never sought the aid of a counsellor.“If I knew where I could’ve gone after my attempt, I would’ve gone,” he said. He later received help from the now deceased Dr. Faith Harding and other persons. However, he said, he only recently reached out.“All the time it was me alone; no one else,” he said. He said that he still deals with depression and suicidal thoughts every day.Dennis now uses his difficulties as a message to other persons battling with thoughts of suicide. “We were given life to live, love,Wholesale NFL Jerseys 2017, and be happy,” he stressed, “Reach out and you might see the wonders hidden inside. Say no to suicide, for it is not the answer!”Follow-ups neededAt an alarming rate of 44.2 suicides per 100,000 – nearly three times the global average – it is no secret that Guyana has the highest suicide rate in the world. But an even more alarming realization is that the number of suicide attempts is more than 20 times the number of successful suicides.According to the WHO, the days and weeks following a suicide attempt are particularly difficult and this period is usually the time when another attempt is made.This fact has led local activists to emphasize the need for follow-up services to be made available to persons who attempt suicide.Anthony Autar, Managing Director of the Guyana Foundation, believes a strong support system should form the foundation for suicide prevention.“It is absolutely essential that they get some kind of follow-up care and that they have a strong support system consisting of people who know about suicide prevention and those who are compassionate and willing to offer support to persons who attempted suicide,” he said.He said that those who attempt suicide are coming out of very traumatic experiences and need all the support they can get.“The fact that they attempted to end their lives shows that they’re in an extremely vulnerable state and they need a lot of emotional support.”In terms of what is available in Guyana, Autar said that he was not aware of post-care services being available to those who attempt suicide. He said that he is, however, aware of discussions to set up such support groups. He emphasized that for such groups properly trained persons must be a necessity.“If they [suicide survivors] don’t get the support, whatever issues pushed them would be unresolved and without proper care and support they would try a second time and that second time they may actually end their lives,” he said.Managing Director of The Caribbean Voice, Bibi Ahamad,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, said ideally, persons who attempted suicide should get counselling. However, she said, this is often not the case. She said that the stigma attached to suicide along with few publicly known places have hindered progress in this area.While she noted some interventions being made by faith-based organizations or nongovernmental ones, she said that more needed to be done, particularly from the government.“It is a difficult thing to even find the places but now that we have the suicide hotline that should be a big help. There ought to be more publicly advertised places where people can go and get the help they need,” she said.She said this is particularly true for areas outside of Georgetown and opined that special attention should be placed to the outlying areas.She said, too, that the families of those who attempt suicide should also participate in counselling sessions when necessary. She noted that in some cases it is best to keep them away because they “may cause more pain and anguish rather than helping the situation”.Today, Guyana joins the rest of the world in celebrating World Suicide Prevention Day. This year, the day is held under the theme, “Preventing Suicide: reaching Out and Saving Lives”.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 01:17 , Processed in 0.072474 second(s), 26 queries .