4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-11-27 14:08:19 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Ralph SeeramThe villagers “arrested” the thief; they took him to the village office; they held him down on the steps of the office. Some held his feet, other held down his arms outstretched, then chopped off his left arm,Cheap Jerseys Outlet, severed his right arm. Both fell to the ground, he would never steal again.Why did he suffer this fate at the hands of vigilantes? He was a known cattle thief, not only that, he was noted for stealing batteries and starters from village farmer’s tractors. The villagers were fed up, and decided to take matters in their own hands.This incident took place more than forty years ago on the Corentyne. The thief survived to tell of his ordeal in court, but no one was convicted. Dozens witnessed the amputation of his arms, but no one testified to witnessing the incident. The villagers themselves raised funds and hired lawyers to defend the men.Such it was back in the day. Thieves feared repercussions from the hands of their neighbours or the courts. This week I was reminiscing with some friends about tough judges in Guyana.The name of the late Justice Akbar Khan, known as the “angry god” came up. He was not only feared by criminal defendants but by attorneys as well. He drove fear into criminals,Nike Roshe Run Online Shop, especially white collar thieves.Attorneys will try all sorts of excuses to postpone their cases before him hoping to get another judge at the next Assizes. He was fair, but if you were found guilty, prepare for the harshest sentence under the law. He had no tolerance for public servants stealing taxpayers’ money.A close friend of mine who became a public servant got charged for fraud,Wholesale Authentic NFL Jerseys, and his case was set to be tried before Justice Khan. As a reporter then and covering cases in Justice Khan’s court,Black NFL Jerseys Online, I told my friend to try not to have his case before him. His lawyer tried everything to postpone the case but the “angry god” will have none of it.My friend was found guilty and sentenced to seven years for stealing a few thousand dollars. I think about if Justice Khan was around today and imagined what he would have done to a Minister of the government found guilty of stealing taxpayers’ money.Is there any Justice Khan on the bench to drive fear into criminals today? Criminals have no fear of the law today. This can be seen from the number of bold daylight robberies taking place in Guyana today. The business community is in fear, the robberies and murders used to be blamed on the drug trade, but this is no longer the case.Legitimate businessmen are the targets these days and these criminals are well armed. The police cannot do it alone they need strong support and strong messages from the bench. We need more Justice Akbar Khans, and I should also mention Justice Vieira to send strong messages to criminals.The recent shootout between the police and the three would be robbers demonstrate how dangerous police work has become.There are some who love to criticize the police whenever criminals are killed in a shootout. They forgot that in a fire fight anyone is liable to get killed, and this includes policemen. The policemen or women are also husbands,Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap, wives, fathers,Houston Cougars Jerseys, uncles or brothers or sisters of someone, and they are putting their lives on the line to protect the public.There must be some appreciation for these brave men. Some opposition politicians are quick to criticize the police actions whenever they see they can gain political mileage for it, but hardly have a word of commendation when they put their lives on the line to uphold the rule of law. There are businessmen who are now thinking silently of the Roger Khan era.Some time ago,Cheap Air Force 1, the Police Chief of Orange County where Orlando is located was speaking at a public forum. He made it clear, “If you pull a gun on my men they will shoot to kill” Can the Police Chief in Guyana make such a statement?The opposition and the human rights nuts will crucify him.Now that I got that off my chest let get to what I really wanted to talk about. Whenever I come to Guyana, I get a little depressed if not a bit guilty when I have to go to the visitors’ line instead of the one for Guyanese, because I carry a US passport. One of the things I am always afraid of is if person or persons ahead of me are coming to Guyana to work. This kind of holds up the line a bit as they apparently have to go through some paper work. Invariably most of these are Chinese.I mention this because of a news item this newspaper carried about no Guyanese workers at the Marriot job site. Now this is a serious matter and I did not see any outrage from the trade unions or from any other organization for that matter. This matter is at the heart of our sovereignty. How can the PPP government allow this?They had to agree to something in the contract giving the Chinese contractors full control of who they can employ. The government had to know that these men were coming in to work, they had to give them permission, if they did not then they need to deport them. You can’t be spending Guyanese tax dollars and giving employment to Chinese workers. I can understand that the contractors may need a few technical personnel, but little or no Guyanese workers? That is a total disrespect to all Guyanese tradesmen, and the country as a hole.To make matters worse the Government is maintaining silence. The opposition parties ought to demand to see the details of this controversial contract. Is the PPP government selling out the rights of Guyanese to the Chinese?Seeking to justify this state of affairs the PPP-controlled Guyana Chronicle through a frequent letter writer called T. King sought to justify EMPLOYING Chinese workers. This poor excuse for a propagandist said that former President Barras Jagdeo promised hundreds of jobs, but did not say hundreds of jobs for Guyanese.These are the idiots the PPP has for carrying out their propaganda. The opposition must stop all funds going to the Guyana Chronicle, the quality and standards of journalism at that newspaper could not go lower. Just look back to the days when Carl Blackman was editor of that news paper.Sure the paper carried the line of the PNC then but the quality and caliber of the journalists then would make those at the Chronicle look like novices.There is that old saying about” beware of people bearing gifts” the Guyanese people will have to wake up and question the Chinese “invasion” of Guyana with their overpriced gifts. The Skeldon factory is a good example.Ralph Seeram can be reached at email” [email protected]
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-16 15:58 , Processed in 0.072480 second(s), 26 queries .