4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-12-1 15:58:43 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Leonard GildarieA significant number of our readers for this column are from North America…the US and Canada. It seems to me more and more Guyanese are yearning to head back home and own a piece of the country. Not a bad thing. We do have a rather beautiful country, but it is a work in progress.An example of laying blocks before the columns are poured. Note the workers filling the concrete blocks with cement to further strengthen them.They have been extremely helpful in extending tips on what to write on, either by sending hints or asking some rather searching questions. One of those persons is Hemwant Persaud, a US-based New York-approved home inspector instructor and licenced home inspector.You will recall in recent weeks we spoke about some ways that may have been wrong in building homes, including the manner in which blocks are laid and its relation with the columns or posts. We spoke of cavity-filling the blocks with cement and connecting these to roof and foundation using steel to strengthen the walls, creating fire-proof rooms. A lot of calls filled with queries came, especially from the ladies. Rather strange when you think a man would be more concerned about building practices. Forgive me ladies, times have changed.According to Persaud, while some of the suggestions made are excellent, it may be impractical in many instances for home builders and contractors to follow all the recommendations. I had spoken of the use of screws versus roofing nails to fasten the galvanized sheets. This may be difficult in some cases because of the absence of electricity, Hemwant said. Builders will have to obtain power by buying or renting portable generators. In Guyana, not much of a problem on the coastland, Hemwant.Contractors would more than likely have power from a neighbour and most of them have their generators. A number of hardware suppliers are now even renting. I agree in the hinterland that a power supply may be a problem.Hemwant also argued that while nails corrode in places like Antigua where the salt air may prove a problem, they have been used for many, many years to fasten roofs in Guyana without any major catastrophe. The correct sizes of galvanized or stainless steel roof nails fastened by a skilled and experience carpenter will last for years, he says. I agree. However, for some odd reason, we have been finding problems with our contractors. Most of them rush through their jobs. I have some problems with my roof. I am mad about it. It is indeed hard to find good contractors. I think the point here is that we still need to explore some options.The inspector also spoke of carpenters stitch-nailing roof frames, another age-old custom in Guyana which we need to get rid of.“Strong ties/brackets are recommended for framing, however the ties must be nailed with the correct size galvanized, stainless steel or manufacturer-recommended nails. If carpenters/contractor are going to use ties/brackets with regular iron nails instead of the correct sizes galvanized, stainless steel or manufacturer-recommended nails, they are better off discarding the ties/brackets and stitch-nailing the wood.”I fully agree. The correct materials must be used at all times, especially to ensure strength.Regarding the cavity filling of concrete blocks, Hemwant was of the opinion that it will be slow to catch on, because it will cost more time and money. I rather suspect this is the case, Hemwant. But I do believe that it should be explored. My reasons are simple.While Guyana is not known for hurricanes or even earthquakes, we are below sea level. We have been experiencing some serious overtopping along our coastland in recent years. The experts have been calling for Government to seriously consider shifting the capital to higher ground. I am worried that unless something is done to strengthen what we have, we could face some problems in later years. Building a home is a significant investment.Hemwant also wondered if there are building codes in Guyana and whether these may not need some updating – with the focus on strict adherence and enforcement.“I cannot understand why banks will not inspect home construction to verify that their money is expended properly for its intended purpose in compliance with building codes. Most surprising, I do not understand how all the new homes obtain insurance coverage without professional inspection.”The banks do inspect the homes to ensure that construction is in keeping with the drawings. However, to determine whether quality work has been done, that is another issue, Hemwant. Definitely needs some attention, though.But thanks, Hemwant, you have given us some food for thought.This past week, I was contacted by Habitat For Humanity, an international non-governmental organization, that is in involved in building homes, using volunteers and different partnerships since coming to Guyana in 1994.Now, I don’t want to delve too much into Habitat today, except to tell you that I am impressed. Because, it is an international organization,Wholesale Authentic Jerseys, the building practices are grounded firmly in standards that are in keeping with best practices.The drawings for the proposed homes consist of 10 sheets. There is a contract available along with strict internal guidelines of what will be accepted as quality work by the contractor. But the discussion of Habitat as a case study, I will leave for next week. It is interesting what some simple guidelines can do along with proper planning.Be safe, don’t drink and drive and drop those emails as usual to [email protected] or call me on 225-8491 at Kaieteur News, during working hours.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-28 17:10 , Processed in 0.072481 second(s), 26 queries .