4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-12-13 12:10:52 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Dale AndrewsThe Environmental protection agency of Guyana has almost concluded its investigations into the operations of two entities at Good Hope, East Coast Demerara.The investigations were launched following complaints by residents against a woodworking establishment and a pig rearer, who operate in close proximity to each other. Swine rummaging through the Good Hope Cemetery yesterday.While the residents are contending that both operations pose a threat to their health and safety, the owners of the two businesses have countered by claiming that they are only trying to make a living and develop their establishments.At the woodworking establishment, dust from huge mounds of shavings is carried by the wind into the homes of residents while at the pig rearing establishment, the animals are often seen rummaging through the nearby Good Hope Cemetery, sometimes breaking open tombs.The residents had expressed alarm that the businesses were granted environment assessment passes by the EPA, although they were clearly breaching the required standards.But according to an official of the EPA in both instances it is a clear case of the persons first satisfying the EPA when they had established the business and then violating the requirements over a period of time.“In most cases these people do reach the required standard of operation to be granted an EPA permit but then after that they go back and violate these same requirements,” the EPA officer explained.The official admitted that the agency does have a problem with monitoring such businesses over an extended period.“We monitor businesses on a yearly basis but when people complaint about environmental violations we act on it right away,” the official told this newspaper.The EPA had visited the two locations recently following complaints from the nearby residents and it was observed that the woodworking establishment was violating safe environmental practices.“It was definitely a serious problem and demanded our urgent attention.”With regards to the pig rearing, the official stated that it should not be allowed at that location near the cemetery.The businessman concerned had assured this newspaper that he had done everything necessary to prevent his animals from venturing into the cemetery.However, this newspaper observed both on Tuesday night and early yesterday morning several pigs rummaging their way through swamps and graves in the cemetery.According to the EPA official, the investigations into the two operations will be completed soon and there are certain courses of action that could be taken,cheap nfl jerseys online, including the imposition of fines or cease orders.Christopher Singh, whose house at Lot B, Good Hope Public Road is completely surrounded by the business concerns, told this newspaper that for the past three years he has been suffering from dust pollution since the woodworking establishment began operating on the western side of his house.He told this newspaper that he had approached the owner of the establishment and the man had promised to make every effort to minimize the pollution.When the situation continued, Singh again approached the owner but this time his complaints were dismissed, prompting Singh and other residents to seek the intervention of the EPA earlier this year.But still the activities continued much to the annoyance of the nearby residents, including a private school, which was forced to relocate.“When the EPA people left, they (businessmen) cursed me out. I went to the police and reported the matter,” Singh told Kaieteur News.  In an effort to solve the problem, the woodworking establishment has been grading the excess sawdust, which is piled up behind the establishment to the pig rearing facility.This move is also annoying the residents since they claim that during the grading operations, the dust becomes unbearable. But according to Sarwant Tapsie owner of the Kishun’s Aluminum Window Factory and who runs the swine rearing business, the grading of the saw dust to his property is all in an effort to prevent his business from flooding.“Since I bought this place last year we have tremendous flood here from time to time. I never received any assistance here at Good Hope. I does see the Ministry of Agriculture and the ministers pass in their vehicles and never come here to ask me about my losses,” Tapsie told this newspaper.He stated that during the last flood his pigs were on the road and he suffered severe losses.“I didn’t want them to be there but I had no choice,” he added.“I have to loose the pigs because I can’t fence my place, my pigs are stolen, some died by accident and I had to pay $400,000 to dig the drains at my business between the Good Hope Crematorium, and me” he explained.The EPA source pointed out that the entity is not in the business of closing establishments but are only working to ensure the safety of the citizens.“The most problem we are getting is with the cottage industries. These businesses start in a residential environment and satisfy certain requirements, but then they grow and forget their obligations. They forget their responsibilities and think only about money,” the EPA staff said.She advised that should a small company contemplate expansion, which would impact negatively on the environment, they should contact the environmental protection agency for the necessary approval.She explained that many persons will blame the EPA but in all cases residents have a 30-day period after a notice is published to object to the setting of any business before the environmental clearance is granted.She added that persons should also engage the various Neighbourhood Democratic Councils who are on the ground to raise issues of environmental violations.“Some people come to us first but they should engage the NDCs because we will even ask them to monitor situations for us.”“Even if one person complains about an environmental issue we are mandated to act,” the EPA official told Kaieteur News.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-17 16:03 , Processed in 0.050027 second(s), 26 queries .