2萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-12-22 05:12:14 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
When an NFL kicker misses a big kick on Sunday, his roster spot may be on the line. If a college kicker falls into a slump, a coach's only option sometimes is to hand the job to a walk-on.
"It's like making a 3-foot putt for the U.S. Open," said Gary Zauner, a former NFL and college special teams coach who now runs a kicking camp and combine. "You don't have that pressure until you're there trying to putt that ball."
Although a growing number of schools are offering scholarships to snappers, many still rely on walk-ons to handle that assignment.
The difference is most stark from 40-49 yards, where NFL kickers are making 82.3 percent of their attempts this season while their FBS counterparts are at 59.9 percent.
Most college kickers also don't get much experience attempting game-winning field goals in high school, forcing coaches to get creative in practice. They'll have a team gather around a kicker and scream before each attempt. They can make sure the accuracy of a kick determines whether a team runs laps.
That isn't the case in college.
Sailer believes colleges should start awarding scholarships to kickers more frequently.
Field-goal accuracy in the FBS soared from 64.1 percent in 1996 to 72.9 percent in 2009,Cheap NFL Jerseys Store, but it's leveled off since.
But those scenarios can't replicate attempting a field goal in front of 80,000 fans with a game on the line.
"Basically they're only going to offer when their kicker's a junior or senior," Sailer said. "Until that changes, I don't think you'll see that (percentage) dramatically increase."
That makes the position particularly difficult to evaluate during the recruiting process. Even the schools with a history of success understand the challenges involved in finding the right kicker.
Chris Sailer,China NFL Jerseys, who works with many of the nation's top high school kickers at various camps he runs across the country, says the rise in percentage coincided with an era when schools started getting more proactive in handing scholarships to kickers rather than asking them to walk on.
"You do all your due diligence," said Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher, whose school produced two of the past six Lou Groza Award winners. "You have your checklist of things. And then at the end,MLB Jerseys China Authentic, you still keep your fingers crossed."
Utah's Andy Phillips, considered one of college football's top kickers, missed a 37-yard attempt in overtime as the Utes fell 19-16 to Arizona State that same day.
"I think kicking would go up in college if you could have open tryouts every Tuesday and cut guys if they don't get it done," Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald said with a laugh. "That's a pretty good motivator on Sunday. If you want to feed your family, make kicks. If you don't, you're going to be on the street."
Whenever an NFL kicker attempts a field goal from inside 50 yards these days, success seems inevitable.
"It gets you kind of used to it," Arizona State kicker Zane Gonzalez said. "I feel like it's more nerve-wracking out here than in the game. In the game, basically you act like it's any other kick."
There are other potential explanations as well that go beyond the wider hash marks in the college game, which create tricky angles for short-range kicks.
Just two weeks ago. Duke beat Pittsburgh 51-48 in overtime after Chris Blewitt missed a 26-yard field goal that would have won the game for the Panthers.
While NFL field-goal accuracy has gone from 81.3 percent in 2009 to 85.4 percent this season, according to STATS LLC, college kickers haven't improved at a similar rate over the past five years.

Botched snaps and mishandled holds are much more common in college than in the NFL.
"Most of these kickers have their own coaches, guys that they go to in the offseason and such," Pelini said. "I'm not going to sit there and weigh in on something. There are certain basic techniques I can see that are obvious. I might make a comment here and there. It's like messing with a golfer's swing."
"To me, that's one of the biggest differences in college and the NFL — the kicking," said Oregon State special teams coordinator Bruce Read, a former NFL assistant. "In the NFL, if it's a game-winner, it's through, it's done and you walk off and you won the game. The kicker did it. But in college, you see these overtime games where both kickers miss. Or at the end of the game, you have a gimme right there and he pushes it or pulls it."
According to STATS, Football Bowl Subdivision kickers are making 72.8 percent of their field-goal attempts this year, virtually unchanged from 72.9 percent in 2009.
But most schools still only sign a kicker every few years. That type of recruiting strategy restricts competition,NFL Jerseys China.
"When you get into college, the snapper might not be quite as accurate," Read said. "He may be an offensive lineman that you've taught to snap to save a (scholarship). When the snaps are off, now the holder's got to reach up or reach out,Cheap Jerseys, and then when he puts the ball down, it's not in the same spot oftentimes."
Only a handful of FBS special teams coaches were kickers or punters during their playing careers. Nebraska coach Bo Pelini said with NCAA staffing limits, "I don't know if it's feasible" to hire a guy specifically to work with kickers.
"I think you saw a big increase (in accuracy) in those years because that was really the time when every college coach in America jumped on that bandwagon to start offering scholarships," said Sailer,China Jerseys, a former Lou Groza Award finalist at UCLA.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 04:39 , Processed in 0.074181 second(s), 26 queries .