4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-12-24 17:54:54 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Hamant France, this year’s Top Teacher, wants corporal punishment reintroduced in schools to address a growing discipline problem.But France, who has been teaching at the Zeeburg Secondary School for the past ten years, says that having a whip doesn’t mean using it.“I believe it’s a psychological thing,” he told Kaieteur News yesterday, recounting an experience once when he took a cane into the classroom and was able to gain control of the class without using the cane, since corporal punishment is not allowed in school.Hamant France, analyzing reports at the Zeeburg Secondary School, yesterday.“I believe the whip, the cane, acts as a very, very good deterrent in terms of controlling student behaviour.”France was named Best Graduating Teacher when Cyril Potter College of Education held its annual graduation ceremony last Thursday. He believes that the whip could help teachers retain the power in the classroom.“Students know that you have very limited powers over them, so to speak, so they behave in a very disrespectful manner. What could you do? Send them to pick up some pieces of papers? And what else could be done?”France says that corporal punishment helped him personal when he was a schoolboy.“I am one of those students who didn’t like being flogged so I had to conduct myself in a manner that would not necessitate flogging; so for me it worked,” he related.France has other suggestions that could help all. For example, he sees the need for children to be given more help at home.“You would try to instill certain things in your students when they are in school but you don’t get the sense that it is being reinforced in the home. For me that co-operation between school and home is something that is lacking,” he stated.He said that help for children home is necessary if education is to be effective. In this, France suggests more active involvement of the Parent-Teacher Associations. At his school, he said, the PTA is seeking to have more frequent meetings to address issues affecting student performance.France is one of the few males taking up teaching as a profession. Of the almost 2, 000 new teachers enrolled at the teacher’s training college for the 2009/2010 year, just 13 per cent are men.He feels the poor pay teachers receive is one of the reasons more men are not taking up the profession.“Males have the significant responsibility of looking over the home…providing for the home,” France pointed out. He pointed to a male ex-teacher, who was unable to support his family on a teacher’s salary, and left the profession and took up the wood business.“So I believe the financial rewards must be improved if we are going to attract males and highly qualified people to this profession,” he posited.France is adamant that if Guyana is to be developed the way it needs to be developed, the teaching profession needs to attract intelligent minds.“If that is done, we are going to be in a very, very good position.”France attended President’s College for seven years, first writing examinations offered by the Caribbean Examinations Council and afterwards, pursuing ‘A’ Levels.Later, he enrolled in the Faculty of Technology at the University of Guyana, pursing a course in geology. But then he decided on teaching.Now, he looks back with a heavy heart over the fact that President’s College is no longer seen as one of the country’s top performing schools.“It really saddens my heart to see what is happening to President’s College. It is always sad when your Alma Mater is not performing as well as it used to perform.  But my heart is still with President’s College and if possible I would still like to give back something to my school.”France is elated to have graduated at the top of the 2010 class, but achieving this honour was no easy task. He taught full-time while attending classes in the evening at the In-service centre at Vreed-en-Hoop.His first love is science, but since the Vreed-en-Hoop centre was not offering science, he decided on his second love – Mathematics.He currently teaches Mathematics,Wholesale NFL Jerseys, Chemistry, and Integrated Science.So, with the poor salary and the other challenges, why did France still choose to become a teacher?“I believe it’s my inherent love for teaching; I always liked teaching. In school, I used to go to the board and help my friends but I never wanted to teach because of the poor remuneration. But I believe that my love for teaching has kept me and will keep me in the profession.”
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-10 08:45 , Processed in 0.074555 second(s), 28 queries .