2萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-12-26 01:37:24 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Thomas expects to still wear her hair tucked inside her cap. She started doing it on a suggestion that it would keep her from sticking out, though these days it's more about habit than an attempt to blend in.
Thomas was in the league's officiating development program in 2013 and '14 and has worked at minicamps, training camps and exhibition games. She has officiated for Conference USA since 2007, with assignments including the Senior Bowl, the Pizza Bowl, the Fight Hunger Bowl, the Medal of Honor Bowl, and the league championship game in 2010 and '14.

"She's a good ref," he added, "so it was a good choice."
Like any official moving up from the college to the pro level, she expects the greatest challenge will be the speed of the game. The preseason can't quite replicate the real thing, but she and Blandino are confident she's got the quick reaction time she'll need to monitor the line of scrimmage.
She said she hadn't experienced any problems with coaches or players.
In 1996, Thomas became the first woman to officiate in a Division 1-A high school game in Mississippi. Less than a decade later, she was hired by Conference USA, working as a line judge and head linesman.
"If you look at Sarah's background and her journey to get here, this is not something that happened overnight," said Dean Blandino, the NFL's vice president of officiating. "She's been officiating 20 years and been on our radar screen for 8-9 years."
NFL officials are part time,NFL Jerseys China, so Thomas' day job is as a pharmaceutical representative. She was already used to a heavy travel schedule with the college game. Thomas and her husband have three children: 14- and 11-year-old sons and a 2-year-old daughter.
Not because that would make her the first woman to hold the job. Her hopes were those of any longtime official on the cusp of working at the sport's pinnacle.
Thomas played softball and basketball growing up and earned a college hoops scholarship to NAIA University of Mobile. She was always around football and inspired to become an official when she attended a meeting with one of her brothers. The NFL was never the goal back then, but once she got into it, her natural competitiveness kicked in.
NEW YORK (AP) — Sarah Thomas saw the New York City area code pop up on her phone and started praying it was the NFL calling to say she'd been hired as a full-time game official.
Then again, the NFL doesn't typically host a conference call for a newly hired official. The 41-year-old Thomas was both self-assured and self-deprecating in fielding questions,Cheap NFL Jerseys, unfazed by the attention but also trying to deflect it. She's already become the first female official at the major college football level and the first to work a bowl game.
Thomas officiated two seasons in the United Football League, which is now out of business.
Thomas got her call from Blandino last Thursday, and she can tell you the exact time: 10:47 a.m.
She was one of nine first-year officials announced Wednesday. The group includes side judge Walt Coleman IV, the son of NFL referee Walt Coleman. The Colemans will become the third active father-son officiating duo, joining Ed and Shawn Hochuli and Steve and Brad Freeman.
"It's just a mindset of an official that you don't want to be seen or noticed," Thomas said on a conference call with reporters.
"I think my hair's the least of my concerns,Cheap Jerseys From China," Thomas said, laughing.
The other new officials are line judge Kevin Codey from the American Athletic Conference; head linesmen Hugo Cruz of Conference USA and Bart Longson of the Pac-12; umpire Clay Martin of C-USA,Wholesale Jerseys Online; side judges Aaron Santi of the Pac-12 and Jabir Walker of the SEC; and field judge Shawn Smith of the Big Ten.
"Everyone has been very professional and looked at me as another official," Thomas said.
Thomas will be a line judge for the 2015 season, the league announced Wednesday. She's proud to serve as an example that anyone can succeed in any endeavor. But breaking down barriers was just a byproduct of her goals,China Soccer Jerseys, not the goal itself.
Thomas worked a Ravens preseason game last year, and coach John Harbaugh said that "she might be one of the better ones we've had."
Shannon Eastin worked regular-season NFL games in 2012 as a replacement official, making her the first woman to do so in any capacity. She also was a line judge.
"I know that I will probably stand out being the first," she added, "but as far as players and coaches,Wholesale Jerseys USA, I've been around a good little while, and I think they know who I am and just want to make sure I can do my job."
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-11 18:59 , Processed in 0.074541 second(s), 28 queries .