4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-7-26 11:56:22 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Kiana WilburgThe need for Members of Parliament (MPs) to conduct the business of the House with a sense of decorum and dignity was once again underscored by the Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr. Barton Scotland, yesterday.House Speaker,Dr. Barton ScotlandThe Speaker said that the nation has been observing the activities of the house and has since been disapproving of the conduct of some MPs.Dr. Scotland told the House that he felt obliged to bring the matter to their attention.“During the recess, I have been paying close attention to our daily publications, especially the letter columns. In reading the relevant pieces, I have sought to pay more attention to the message rather than the messenger. The messenger, of course, comes from that vast body of persons who are our fellow citizens; our fellow Guyanese on whose behalf we all swore to act in this House for a better Guyana.”Dr. Scotland reminded that in his announcements in the House on August 17, 2015, he had pointed out to the Members of Parliament that they bear an obligation to conduct the business of the National Assembly, in the sight of our citizens, with stateliness and respectability, with reverence for each other,Cheap NHL Jerseys, whether in debates or in other exchanges in the Assembly.“Since that time honourable members, I must tell you that many of our fellow citizens have been paying attention to all of our activities and as I indicated, some hold themselves in a position to comment on our proceedings. I must tell you that some comments made by our fellow citizens have been disapproving of certain honourable members of this House,” Dr. Scotland asserted.The House Speaker said that some correspondents felt that the language of interaction used by Members of Parliament is oftentimes spoken in a tone that is lacking in politeness, designed to embarrass, and sometimes filled with acrimony.“Our citizens are our judges and I invite you work towards a change,” Dr. Scotland emphasised.The Speaker has quite often found himself appealing to Members of Parliament to engage “in a clean debate.” At times, he was even forced to slam his gavel to call the House to order, given the harsh trading of insults. Often he implored, “Members, I am certain we can use better language, we can do better than that in this Honourable House.”But it is usually like throwing the proverbial water on duck’s back.In fact, members during the last budget debates were so caught up in their trading of insults that they often forgot to extend the courtesy of being silent when the Speaker was addressing the House.Several Parliamentarians throughout the debates expressed that they felt the National Assembly was being transformed into a fish market, given the behaviour of some members.Speaking to the issue, Prime Minister and Leader of the House, Moses Nagamootoo had said that he believes that members on both sides could have done a better job in showing respect for the Parliament.“I sincerely believe that we could have conducted ourselves in the House with decorum and respect for each other, in spite of the fact that we have a political divide, and the fact that we belong to two different political blocs. Additionally, there are members of the House who just recently held positions in high offices such as Advisor to the President and ministers,” Nagamootoo expressed.He added, “But while one might forgive the Opposition backbenchers who are new to certain parliamentary codes of conduct. I cannot say the same for those who know what they are saying and intend to say what they are saying, and the intention is to disrespect, demean and degrade members of the government.”Nagamootoo believes that because he tabled the No-Confidence motion which ultimately led to the PPP administration being removed from office following the last elections, he and other members have been targets of abusive remarks from those in the Opposition benches.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-5-9 06:29 , Processed in 0.060601 second(s), 28 queries .