1萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2019-2-13 09:38:02 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
Draft weekend rolled around and, after the Broncos had made no move for Freeney,Fjallraven Kanken Backpack Sale, Umenyiora or anyone else, many looked for them to select a pass rusher. Instead, they chose defensive tackle Sylvester Williams, then used their second and third round picks on running back Montee Ball and cornerback Kayvon Webster.

A free agent heading into his 10th year, Phillips had been through the waiting game before — back in 2004, when he wasn't selected until the fourth round of the NFL draft.
Also that weekend, a less-heralded transaction: The signing of Phillips, who had spent the previous nine seasons harassing the Broncos out of San Diego,Vyprodej Nike Boty, including sacking Peyton Manning for a safety during their game in Denver in 2012.
Among the 24 players at those positions chosen in front of him in 2004: Jonathan Vilma, Igor Olshansky and former Broncos No. 1 pick, D.J. Williams.
This year's sack stats: Phillips, nine; Umenyiora, 6½ with Atlanta; Freeney, half a sack before getting injured with San Diego.
The Broncos are pleasantly surprised. Phillips — well,NFL Jerseys From China, he kind of expected it.
Notes: The Broncos practiced in 20-degree weather with snow flurries Thursday — a good dress rehearsal for their game Sunday night at New England, where it's expected to be in the teens and windy. ... The NFL scheduling formula calls for the Broncos to travel to New England next season, which will make it three years in a row.
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Shaun Phillips spent a good portion of last offseason waiting for the phone to ring. It certainly wasn't the first time.
"For me, it was kind of shocking that more teams weren't calling me," said Phillips, who had 10 tackles, two quarterback hits, two pass deflections and 1½ sacks in last week's win over Kansas City. "I was coming off a good year. A few teams,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping, obviously, made offers but they weren't anywhere near what I felt like I deserved."
This year, it was a different list — specifically,Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys, the one with the names Dwight Freeney and Osi Umenyiora — that came up when the discussion turned to the top pass rushers in 2013 free agency. The Broncos were in the market, in search of a pass rusher to complement Von Miller, especially after losing Dumervil and his 11 sacks from the previous year to a tough negotiation that went south because of a timing mix-up on the contract signing.
Phillips became even more critical to Denver's success with Miller's early season suspension and the slow progress he's made upon his return.
Phillips has 78½ sacks over his nine-plus seasons — a total, he points out, that is greater than every player from the 2004 draft class except Jared Allen.
Recruited to Purdue out of Willingboro High in New Jersey, where he played defensive end and tight end, Phillips had visions of himself catching passes from Drew Brees in college.
"It was kind of a situation where we really felt like he still had some juice, some ability to affect the quarterback left in him," Broncos interim head coach Jack Del Rio said. "He's been a pleasant surprise. He's been a little better than we'd hoped in terms of his impact and his leadership. Smart, tough guy. He's a great communicator. He comes over and gives us good insight."
But when Boilermakers coaches handed him the No. 53 upon his arrival,Cheap MLB T-shirts, it was clear Phillips would have to make a name for himself on the other side of the ball. He finished college as Purdue's all-time sack leader with 33½, though that didn't do much for his stock in the draft, in part because his size and speed — 6-foot-3, 253 pounds with a 4.66 40-yard dash — put him in that awkward spot somewhere between a defensive lineman and linebacker.
"You always need some sort of gas to fuel your fire, though," Phillips said. "Not everyone was out there saying, 'We want Shaun Phillips on our team.' It irked me a little bit, so you just go out and work that much harder to prove myself that much more."
"In my mind," Phillips said, "I was better than all those guys."
"Every year, I probably believe it can be a career year for me," he said. "I'm getting better and better as I go and learn more. They give me an opportunity to rush the passer all the time here. In San Diego it was 50-50. I believe the more opportunities I get, the better chance I have to go out there and get a sack."
The Denver Broncos came in with a one-year, $1 million offer in hopes the hybrid linebacker-defensive end could make up for some of what they lost when Elvis Dumervil departed following a much-publicized and messy foul up with the fax machine. Phillips has responded with nine sacks over the first 10 games, only 2½ short of his career high, and has also proven a solid influence in a veteran locker room.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 10:28 , Processed in 0.061262 second(s), 28 queries .