9萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-3-4 04:33:34 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
“I figured that it was time for someone to pick up the mantle and carry things on in archaeology by doing our own research and work…”By Sharmain GraingerAs we all may know by now, the term ‘Archaeology’ refers to the study of human history and prehistory through the excavation of sites and the analysis of uncovered artefacts. But what you may not be acquainted with is the fact that Guyana currently has a relatively new, and quite possibly the only, practicing Archaeologist, in the person of 26-year-old Louisa Daggers.Surprised? Well you should be, since the thought of an Archaeologist often brings to mind an elder person with a wealth of knowledge, who some of my colleagues would classify a “dinosaur” as they do our Editor-In-Chief,Louisa DaggersMr Adam Harris.But given the fact that Ms Daggers is barely two decades and six years old, the speculative conclusion is that she has an enormous intellectual retaining capacity, which has allowed her to become qualified in Archaeology and the related field of Anthropology. She however prefers to embrace the status of an Archaeologist. And this distinctive achievement has served to easily propel her to the prominence of our ‘Special Person’ column for this week.A question that many of you might ponder on is why would an ambitious, evidently brilliant young lady aspire to be an Archaeologist, a profession that rarely affords much highlighted glory and definitely does not allow for attractive remuneration?Well the answer, simply put by Louisa, is that “I always had a passion for archaeology…”The beginningLousia, who is the eldest among her siblings, Avery and Ashley, was born on July 10, 1987, to parents,Kareem Abdul-Jabbar UCLA Jersey, Ray and Indra Daggers. They grew up in Mon Repos on the East Coast of Demerara, where she attended the Mon Repos Nursery and Primary Schools.She was subsequently enrolled at the privately-operated International Business College, which was then situated at Thomas Street, Georgetown, to complete her secondary education.  After successfully completing her Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) Examination, she went on to undertake Advanced Mathematics and several computer courses, which she believed would prepare her for the world of work, even a place at a reputable office. But before this, she decided to head to the University of Guyana to further her studies, where she applied for a Degree in Tourism.It was while at the University of Guyana, Louisa recalled, she was introduced to “everything that was totally different to what I had envisaged myself. I really wanted to be in the field; I never really wanted to be an office person, and so I thought to myself Tourism might be the way for me.”Examining a rock with Professor Mark Plew during a Field School at Karanambo Ranch earlier this year.You see, she was always into Geography and had a passion for the ‘Indiana Jones’-type adventures, the Mayans’ Pyramid and King Tut tales, and was only too elated when she realised that the Tourism programme not only offered Advanced Geography, but also Amerindian Studies, which really aroused her instincts in relation to archaeology.Her lecturers included the likes of now deceased former Minister within the Education Ministry, Dr. Desrey Fox; former Curator of the Walter Roth Museum and Anthropologist Ms Jennifer Wishart, and Artist and Archaeologist, George Simon.In fact it was from their sessions that she learnt about the Archaeology programme at the Walter Roth Museum. And though she always had a passion for the field and was always glued to such telecasts on National Geographic,Mark Sanchez College Jersey, she was never before aware that archaeology was “happening in Guyana”.“I didn’t know that we had room for things like that here,” Louisa reflected. Before long she was out in the fields with officials from the Walter Roth Museum.However, while she was still at university she was attached for a period at the Guyana National Museum, but was still very intrigued by the Field School opportunities offered by the Walter Roth Museum. The Museum had in 2007 started to offer the Field School programme which allowed young individuals to engage exploratory activities. And so after completing her degree, Louisa was only too anxious to join the staff at the Walter Roth Museum following an invitation from Ms Wishart.A smiling Louisa displays an intriguing skeletal remains find. The remains were uncovered at Siriki, Rupununi, and are stored safely at the Walter Roth Museum of National Anthropological Archives, in hopes of conducting further analysis.It  was there that her unmistakeable potential in the field was recognised, which prompted visiting Professor and Chairman of the Anthropology Department at Boise State University, United States, Dr Mark Plew, to inquire whether she was interested in making a career out of Archaeology.“He somehow thought I had the potential of being an Archaeologist, and of course, I had an interest in the field,” recalled Louisa, who was encouraged to apply to pursue studies at Boise State University. In fact, Dr Plew had advised her that once her application reached the necessary requirements she would be offered a scholarship from his Department. Not one to back down from such an appealing proposal, Louisa sent in her application two years in advance.Although having attained the required 2.9 Grade Point Average (GPA) from the University of Guyana, Louisa would still have many sleepless nights as she sought to fulfil all other necessary requirements, including the Graduate Records Examination to gain entry to the prestigious university.By 2011 she was well on her way to realising her heart’s desire, which in fact followed on the heels of an intriguing excavation at a Siriki, Pomeroon River shell mound.  A shell mound is a prehistoric refuse heap consisting mainly of shells of edible molluscs intermingled with evidence of human occupancy.Louisa was granted the privilege of taking the extracts for analysis at the Boise State University.However, it was no ‘walk in the park’ at the overseas university since the scholarship offered to her catered only for 12 months. As such, she was forced to compact what was customarily an 18-month programme into a single year. But according to her, “it was a wonderful year; it was a year of new cultures and new experiences. It was an introduction to a field that I was interested in but didn’t have much hands-on knowledge in,Kyle Lowry College Jersey,” Louisa admitted.However, she was somewhat prepared for the hard work, as ahead of travelling to Boise State, she was encouraged by Professor Plew to delve into a box full of archaeology reading material.In August of 2012, Louisa graduated from Boise State University with a 4.0 GPA and was given the opportunity to either stay in the US and apply for the Optional Practical Training (OPT) and work at the university, or simply return home.Room for ArchaeologyReturning home was the option embraced by Louisa, as according to her, by then she was convinced that “there was plenty of room for archaeology at home that I didn’t imagine.” This, she noted, however has been constrained, to some extent, by the lack of funding and experts with whom to collaborate.In the company of Anthropological Assistants of the Walter Roth Museum.And so, as if instinctively, Louisa saw returning home as her calling to build on a legacy left behind by Guyana’s first Archaeologist, Denis Williams.“When he died it was as if everything he did just came to a standstill…I figured that it was time for someone to pick up the mantle and carry things on in archaeology by doing our own research and work. I thought it was my turn to do something; I knew I might not be able to do all of the work, but at least I could make a start,” Louisa recounted.She had by then embraced Cultural Resource Management as her area of focus, which according to her, simply caters to the management of archaeological resources. This, she underscored,Rey Maualuga College Jersey, must begin with a foundation which looks at ensuring that there are policies, acts and guidelines in place for the protection of archaeological sites and resources for future research.In fact, her final year thesis at Boise State University was based on crafting an archaeological infrastructure for Developing Countries. Moreover,Chris Paul College Jersey, she chose Guyana for a Case Study whereby she reviewed Acts from Canada and the United States, and even examined British Antiquities to see to what extent measures could be adopted.In so doing,Junior Seau USC Jersey, she was able to deduce that “there is still room for much work here, because we haven’t done very much for the protection of archaeological sites or archaeological resources in general.”Putting such measures in place is especially important at this point, as according to Louisa, “we are living in a world where everyone is treading the path of cultural development and protection of cultural resources, but we are still getting there.”“We haven’t evolved entirely to appreciate our cultural heritage,Kevin Love College Jersey, but that is somewhere that we definitely need to go. It wouldn’t happen overnight; it will take time,” Louisa asserted.But in order to achieve this goal, she insisted that there must be policies and public awareness, which are lacking in the cultural heritage industry.And certainly there is room for support. She is optimistic that the University of Guyana could play a fundamental role in the development of archaeology in the future,Wholesale Jerseys, even as she acknowledged that “there is so much that the Government can do; there is so much that the Museum of Anthropology can do, because they receive most of their funding from the Government.”According to Louisa, the University of Guyana not only has the scope for the production of grants, but it could even seek to introduce an Anthropology programme. The local university had once attempted the introduction of the programme, a move which proved unsuccessful because of the lack of human resources.Louisa is however convinced that once students are produced, there will be a valuable contribution to the field of archaeology, as according to her, “we do see UG as the foundation for archaeological resource.”No boundariesAlthough she was granted the post of Administrator at the Walter Roth Museum upon her return from Boise State University, Louisa was not too keen to remain bound by its limitations. The position, she explained, is not one tailored to incorporate field work, which as a result saw her less than one month ago opting to tender her resignation.“I thought that was where I wanted to be, but it merely entails you sitting there and managing a museum, and that is not exactly what I want to do. I didn’t go through so many years of school to sit and manage a museum at the end of the day,” explained a passionate Louisa.Her many Field School missions are evidence enough to support her claim that she is the kind of individual to engage in “hands-on” work whenever she is not preparing papers for archaeology journals.So endearing is archaeology to her that she celebrated her 26th birthday, last month, leading a Field School to the Karanambo Ranch in the Rupununi. And that mission was certainly a rewarding one, as according to her, the team was able to uncover at least 13 new archaeological sites.During that mission, too, she also sought to honour a promise she made last year to resurrect a site numbering system, an undertaking that is seen as essential for a proper documentation system. Failing to adopt such a system can not only make it difficult to track sites and document them, but it can prove to be even more difficult when seeking to produce academic articles for journals.But although she has withdrawn from the administrative post at the Walter Roth Museum Louisa has certainly not halted her archaeological work locally. In fact she sees herself offering her expertise in the Cultural Resource Management (CRM) world ad infinitum, since she is very aware that Guyana’s development in this regard will require much work.She has already started doing work with some mining companies in order to identify protocols that can be put in place in the event that an archaeological site is uncovered.In her quest to render continued expert support, Louisa has even considered developing her own CRM company through which she can help to raise needful awareness, as according to her,Bill Walton College Jersey, “first and foremost we must recognise the importance of our cultural identity. We have to instil this into our people and then they will be able to better understand and appreciate the things around them.”But even as she seeks to fast-track awareness in her own way, she is confident that a pivotal move would be to incorporate CRM at the level of the school system.“I have been saying that over and over, but some people don’t seem to get it, but I can’t say enough how important it is to know your cultural heritage.”Louisa also envisages herself taking the lead role in aiding efforts locally to salvage archaeological sites for future research. She pointed out that if moves are made to develop the whole of Guyana, “we are going to lose our sites…so there is need for a company that is going to go in the fields and try to identify and rescue these sites.”But even as she outlines her ambitious intentions, Louisa plans to return to Boise State University in a matter of weeks to further upgrade herself to fully take up her preferred role.  And in a very convincing tone, she assured that “there is no way I would be abandoning Guyana for greener pastures.  I see myself coming back here, because there is a need for people like me…Some people might want to call it a hobby, but there is need for expertise, and we don’t have very much of it.”According to Louisa, she has often impressed upon other young individuals to not enter the field with a view of making money, since research has shown that more than half of the world’s archaeologists are not rich.  She disclosed that in the United States for instance, which produces close to 500 doctorate students in the area of archaeology per year, only about 45 are gainfully employed annually, thus leaving the majority to take up voluntary engagements.“This must be something that you like to do,” said a blushing Louisa, who aside from being captivated by her archaeological obsession, is happily engaged to Master Alford Liverpool. He, according to her, has an equally unambiguous passion for biodiversity.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 05:28 , Processed in 0.073917 second(s), 28 queries .