10萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2017-7-10 18:22:14 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
By Kiana WilburgMinister of Finance, Dr. Ashni Singh yesterday lashed out at developed(From left) Minister of Human Services and Social Security, Jennifer Webster, Presidential Advisor on Governance,Ryan Tannehill Dolphins Jersey, Gail Teixeira, Minister of Finance Dr. Ashni Singh and UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative Khadija Musa.countries that have failed after 35 years,Dan Marino Dolphins Jersey, to ensure that the Eighth Millennium Development Goal (MDG)—Global partnership for development—was attained.He was at the time offering brief remarks at a workshop held at the Guyana International Conference Centre, Turkeyen which sought to take a firsthand look at the data collected so far on Guyana’s status in relation to achieving the MDGs.The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are eight international development goals established by the United Nations in 2000, following the adoption of the United Nations Millennium Declaration to be achieved by 2015.This year’s report will be the final account on Guyana’s progress in relation to the eight MDGs which will capture the period 2011 to 2014. The workshop attracted members from the private sector,Neville Hewitt Dolphins Jersey, environmentalists, health care workers and officials from the Ministry of Finance and Central Bank. Also present was Presidential Advisor on Governance, Gail Teixeira, Minister of Human Services and Social Security,JaWuan James Dolphins Jersey, Jennifer Webster, and UN Resident Coordinator andSome of the participants at the workshop yesterday.UNDP Resident Representative Khadija Musa.Dr. Singh, who is responsible for monitoring the progress of the MDGs,Caleb Sturgis Eagles Jersey, reminded the gathering that the last report would have shown that Guyana is on course, as some MDGs were achieved such as Tertiary and primary education, gender equality and environmental sustainability.He noted that government was also concerned about MDG Five which spoke to improving maternal health. For 2014, there were 18 recorded cases of maternal deaths, 10 of which were at Georgetown Public Hospital. This led government to place more emphasis on the matter and how new strategies and solutions can be devised to effectively handle the matter.While the time draws nearer for the 2015 report to be produced, Dr. Singh said that Guyana will be judged, but noted that the country will receive favourable reviews. However,Adam Joseph Duhe Dolphins Jersey, the Finance Minister said that he would want to be the first to speak on the somewhat elusive attainment of certain MDGs.Looking back on all that has taken place, the politician said that Guyana is a moderately resourced country and that it does not engage in the luxury of saying that citizens being in remote areas exempts or prevents them from being considered as part of efforts to achieve the MDGs. He said, too, that some of the goals were achieved because they were aligned with the nation’s priorities and national policy-making framework which helped significantly.After extending heartfelt thanks to Musa, her team and international partners, for their unrelenting support and honouring their agreements, he proceeded to speak on his “favourite topic” in this regard; MDG Eight: Develop a global partnership for development.The Finance Minister reminded that in 1970, a United Nations (UN) General Assembly resolution was passed, in which the members gathered in solemn and serious deliberations and moved a resolution that the developed world would deliver development support equivalent to 0.7 percent of Gross National Income to the developing world within a time frame of five to 10 years. That should have been achieved by 1980.Thirty-five years later, Dr. Singh highlighted that perhaps,Jerome Brown Eagles Jersey, only six developed nations of the world are remotely close to meeting that obligation. He firmly asserted that most of the developed world is woefully falling short when it comes to meeting their obligations.“It is a crying shame, because I am lectured to everyday about meeting my obligations and I have no problem. I have to meet my obligations… but I have a difficulty with the global community, particularly the very community that lectures me on my failure to meet my obligation…for I have a difficulty with it failing to meet its obligation,” the politician stressed.In fact,Mario Williams Dolphins Jersey, the Minister went as far as to say that MDG Eight, even after subsequent conversations,Stevie Johnson Chargers Jersey, is the most under accomplished in the entire framework. Dr. Singh told his attentive audience that the truth of the matter is that there must be global commitment to development.“Until we accept that as a philosophical truth, we will be in my mind, tinkering at the periphery and flirting at the fringes,” he added.Dr. Singh also criticized the calls by the international community to measure Guyana’s development through remittances. The Finance Minister was quick to say that it is not an official flow.“You can’t count it as an official flow when my poor Guyanese nurse goes to New York and works and saves and sets aside her own money, foregoing that fancy dress or fancy dinner she wanted, just to send money to her niece in Guyana so that she can go to school and write a few extra exams…You want to call that development flow? You want to call the earnings of my hardworking nurse in New York as an official flow to mask the fact that you are underperforming against your 1970 target. That’s bad, bad.”UNDP Representative Musa said that as the stakeholders work towards producing the 2015 report, it is imperative to collect and analyze data to ensure that right conclusions and results are obtained and the data provided is interpreted in the right context. She noted too that it is beneficial to have a wide cross section of stakeholders to partake in the discussions of success and challenges of the MDGs. The UN representative asserted however, that despite the struggles, Guyana has done well in achieving some of those goals.Musa urged the participants to engage fully in the workshop and told them not to hesitate in being critical. She said that they should “call a spade a spade” in order to contribute meaningfully to the seminar, as it is an important process in moving forward.
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-4-30 09:59 , Processed in 0.070045 second(s), 26 queries .